Another mass shooting...

GR HUNTER

Steve, with all due respect, it seems to me you are not capable of getting the point.

As lame of an attempt as you two have made, I would assume that your "point" would be that banning an inanimate object such as a flag would be nothing more than window dressing for the issues at hand here?  Am I wrong?  So why then are even Governors of some southern states calling for it's removal from state buildings?  Is it all just politics, or just maybe some people are starting to realize that the confederate flag is a symbol of an unfortunate time in American history and maybe it's time to finally bury it from display on public buildings?  I fully realize that a lot of it is just symbolism, BUT why is it so bloody difficult for you to try to look at things from another persons perspective here?    Is it OK for a black man to have it waved in his face today, when he damned well knowns that those who waved it in 1860 wanted his great-great grandfather to remain a slave?  Yes, banning the flag won't change history, BUT why is it so important to have this flag wave in the wind 150+ years after the south lost the civil war?  As much as some might be overreacting to getting rid of this flag, the likes of you two are definitely overreacting to this too.  In my opinion, as with many southern whites who now finally see no reason to have it flown over state building, just get rid of the damned thing and the case will be closed.  No freaking skin off anyone's nose if it doesn't get flown so why make it such a big issue?  If anything the southern white republicans will win points with blacks for agreeing to this.

Edited by steve863

Amazon Bans Sale of Confederate Gear, But Nazi Memorabilia Freely Available

Amazon.com has banned sales of products featuring the Confederate flag in response to last week’s Charleston massacre, but items featuring the Nazi swastika and the Communist hammer and sickle remain freely available.

The retailer moved to satiate the demands of perpetually offended leftist mobs by removing Confederate gear from its online inventory, but you’ll have no problem purchasing symbols that are intrinsically linked with the slaughter of tens of millions of people.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/amazon-bans-sale-of-confederate-gear-but-nazi-memorabilia-freely-available.html/print/

If anything the southern white republicans will win points with blacks for agreeing to this.

Ding ding ding ding ding!!

Exactly why they're all tripping over themselves to get on the right side of this issue.

• Like 1

It's merely political grandstanding at the expense of freedom, free speech and freedom of choice.

Nobody in America has a right not to be offended.  But if we allow things to progress down this path, many things may become illegal or banned on the altar of political correctness.

What bothers me most, is the obvious fact many people are trying to blame all manner of things, like gun ownership, concealed carry, flags, conservatives, Republicans, all whites, etc.  etc., for what this one murderous kid did.  It seems they blame everything but him.

We are chastised for blaming any secular group for the actions of one of it's members, but those same folks are quick to blame entire groups of people for the actions of one person when it propels their political agenda.

If the ban on selling the Confederate flag expands, you will only be able to buy one on the black market.  How ironic!

(That's humor, in case you weren't sure)

Edited by Mr VJP
  • Like 2

post-177-0-90615100-1435167343_thumb.jpg

I know they aren't blaming the flag for the shooting, but it's obvious they are using the shooting in the time honored Progressive manner of never letting a good crises go to waste.  You can bet when anything bad happens in this land, leftists will show no shame in tying it to one of their oppressive goals.

Edited by Mr VJP
  • Like 1

Come on now, Culver, you are going VJP-Papist on us here!  LOL  There is an exception to every rule I guess, but I highly doubt there are too many blacks who would be proud to display a confederate flag.  

Jeez, I'm worried about you now, maybe those two slipped you some tainted venison chili or something?  LOL

• Like 1

I know what it "means" to the majority. My concern really is, like so many other topics, What's next? Do we tear down the Jefferson Memorial since he owned slaves?  How about George Washington? It was team names, now a piece of cloth. People are just to damned sensitive and everyone runs scared to appease.

• Like 2

I think their monuments are safe.  Most everyone realizes that it was a different time with different standards.  No leader has ever been squeeky clean where someone couldn't find some dirt on him.  Times change and what was acceptable once may not be in the future, be it symbols, what we can or cannot say, do or own, etc..  It's not always for the better, but things are always changing whether we like it or not.  Man hasn't totally destroyed himself or the world yet, has even made his life better in so many ways from what our forefathers had to suffer through,  so I guess not all change is doom and gloom.

It is not something frequently mentioned, but there were black troops on both sides of the civil war.

The flag is mainly a southern pride thing, only a few use it as racist symbol. 

The war was not only about slaves, but also about who holds the most power, a state or the federal government.  Most southern troops were not your plantation slave owners, but small farmers. 

I grew up in a border state that sent troops to both sides.  We had slave runners and underground railway stations during that time period.  Part of the state, some people still display the Stars-and-Bars - some of for southern pride, some of it as non-conformist/Rebel to some aspects of state laws.  It is displayed mostly during the car races.  Some of the most racist persons I knew of were not white.

A lot businesses in towns by the battlefield parks that cater to tourism display both flags, stars-and-bars, and the stars-and-stripes.  At this rate, these flags will be take down as to not offend someone into thinking their business is run by racists.  All you need next is someone to claim anything confederate is racism and offends them.

This is a slippery slope.  After all, will they stop selling white bed sheets just because you can make KKK robes out of them?  Anything can be used as symbol by anyone for anything they desire.  The Nazi symbol was used previous by some Native American cultures in the southwest.

Sure take the flag off the state capitol, but basically ban it, ridiculous.

• Like 2

It is not something frequently mentioned, but there were black troops on both sides of the civil war.

The flag is mainly a southern pride thing, only a few use it as racist symbol.

The war was not only about slaves, but also about who holds the most power, a state or the federal government. Most southern troops were not your plantation slave owners, but small farmers.

I grew up in a border state that sent troops to both sides. We had slave runners and underground railway stations during that time period. Part of the state, some people still display the Stars-and-Bars - some of for southern pride, some of it as non-conformist/Rebel to some aspects of state laws. It is displayed mostly during the car races. Some of the most racist persons I knew of were not white.

A lot businesses in towns by the battlefield parks that cater to tourism display both flags, stars-and-bars, and the stars-and-stripes. At this rate, these flags will be take down as to not offend someone into thinking their business is run by racists. All you need next is someone to claim anything confederate is racism and offends them.

This is a slippery slope. After all, will they stop selling white bed sheets just because you can make KKK robes out of them? Anything can be used as symbol by anyone for anything they desire. The Nazi symbol was used previous by some Native American cultures in the southwest.

Sure take the flag off the state capitol, but basically ban it, ridiculous.

At the end of the day taking the flag down will not end racism. It's not like ppl will say "oh the flag is banned now, let's all sing kumbaya". Racism is a mindset not a piece of cloth.
  • Like 2

It seems like another one of the tennis balls I tossed in the room became a "grenade".

Enough racists have used the flag to communicate their beliefs that they have ruined it for others who may not. It's somewhat like the Nazis ruining the swastika. If someone displays what is commonly seen as a racist symbol, they must accept that some will see them as racist.

• Like 1

Conservatives are racist.  Republicans are racist.  People who don't like Obama's policies are racist.  All Whites are racist.  Police Officers are all racist.  People who support the Police are racist.  People who don't have a problem with a minority being rightfully arrested, or even killed, for trying to kill a cop, are racist.  The NRA is racist.  Gun owners are racist.  Hunters are racist.  Southerners are racist.  Bikers are racist.  Affluent people are racist.  Flags are racist.  Anyone who says they are not racist, is racist.

Of course, none of that is reality or even close to the truth, but the people who have a vested interest in stoking the fires of racism know, if you tell a lie often enough and long enough, many people will begin to believe it's true.

And when that happens, the race hustlers can have their way with all of you.

Edited by Mr VJP
  • Like 1

It seems like another one of the tennis balls I tossed in the room became a "grenade".

Enough racists have used the flag to communicate their beliefs that they have ruined it for others who may not. It's somewhat like the Nazis ruining the swastika. If someone displays what is commonly seen as a racist symbol, they must accept that some will see them as racist. and have ruined it for others who may not?

Kind of like enough blood thirsty filthy  animal  radicals have used a certain religion to communicate their beliefs that they have ruined it for others who may not? Or is religion different? Serious question.

• Like 1

Kind of like enough blood thirsty filthy  animal  radicals have used a certain religion to communicate their beliefs that they have ruined it for others who may not? Or is religion different? Serious question.

No different. They have fundamentally changed what that religion represents to many people. There are practitioners of that religion who are not violent, who are pacifists such as Sufis. They suffer because of how the image of that religion has been changed by violent maniacs.

How about this: the word "gay" has totally changed its meaning. If I say someone is "gay", that no longer means they are happy, upbeat? I had a school mate, a girl, whose name was Gay. That wasn't so long ago. The original meaning of the word is gone, extinct.

What I am saying is that the racists own that flag now. Fly it at your own risk.

• Like 1