Gay Marriage Protected by the 14th Amendment?

A woman and a man for that matter should be able to get the leave she/he has accrued. Getting pregnant is a choice. If you cant afford to take the time off from work, you probably shouldn't make that choice.

Don't get me wrong, I am not disagreeing with you. The Department of Labor however does not share some of your "radical and oppressive" views.

Culver, I'm not understanding where you're going with this one- when one of my staff members is pregnant and can no longer work, they have to burn their accrued sick time, then go on disability. 

But what do you do if they can do Most of the job duties?  Just not all of them?

In our legal and regulated system I am just saying that it isn't always what makes sense. Your comment may or may not be legal depending on other factors.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

You are again talking apples and oranges...the Muslim is using religious beliefs to avoid something they knew would be an issue when applying for the job...it was their choice to make and not the employers obligation to accommodate..it is not a physical disability which isn't choice . With the pregnant woman It is a societal accommodation. To in the minds of the government is to the benefit of the group as a whole. That is why parents can choose either the man or the woman take maternity leave. This being a temporary short term adjustment  that anyone can use ...unlike the religious beliefs of an employee

• Like 1

So you have a problem with our constitution? The judicial branch and the supreme court is one of the three main parts of our government and what they did was done under their power as it has been established. I'm confused why you think 1/3 of our government shouldn't have the powers the constitution gives it.

I have a problem with the constitution being redefined, by unelected, politicly motivated boobs, in order to fit the flavor of the day. If you want to merry your boyfriend, or girlfriend,, who cares? lets let the same self serving boobs redefine the second amendment,,first amendment…what ever amendment..sounds like a good idea to me……... 

• Like 1

Saw this on the confederate flag thread and though it was appropriate here.  It's amazing that the same d-bags supporting the flag are opposed to people in love getting married.  This website has really gone off the rails the last few months.  Love wins!

MagicWorld.jpg

Edited by d-bone20917

A woman and a man for that matter should be able to get the leave she/he has accrued. Getting pregnant is a choice. If you cant afford to take the time off from work, you probably shouldn't make that choice.

Woman and Men are both protected under FMLA for maternity and paternity time.

But what do you do if they can do Most of the job duties?  Just not all of them?

In our legal and regulated system I am just saying that it isn't always what makes sense. Your comment may or may not be legal depending on other factors.

employers have the ability to either accommodate or not accommodate restrictions for any injury or illness. Employers must be fair and consistent when deciding what they can and cannot accommodate. When it comes to ADA cases however most companies have to make a reasonable effort to accommodate the disability. So if a billion dollar corporation states they cannot put in wheelchair ramps because they don't have the money, they lose the court case every time. If joe's upholstery shop makes the same claim, chances are Joe wins.

ADA and disability are not black and white. I've been involved in dozens in my career. At the end of the day, you as an employer can send someone out to collect short or long term disability or you can keep them on the clock filing papers so long as the doctor, employer and employee are on the same page it all works out. But documenting everything is your key to not getting an EEOC claim.

employers have the ability to either accommodate or not accommodate restrictions for any injury or illness. Employers must be fair and consistent when deciding what they can and cannot accommodate. When it comes to ADA cases however most companies have to make a reasonable effort to accommodate the disability. So if a billion dollar corporation states they cannot put in wheelchair ramps because they don't have the money, they lose the court case every time. If joe's upholstery shop makes the same claim, chances are Joe wins.

ADA and disability are not black and white. I've been involved in dozens in my career. At the end of the day, you as an employer can send someone out to collect short or long term disability or you can keep them on the clock filing papers so long as the doctor, employer and employee are on the same page it all works out. But documenting everything is your key to not getting an EEOC claim.

for years my employer allowed females who became pregnant to continue to work as long as they wanted, they found work for them to do that was a far cry from what they were hired for, but they still kept them on........fast forward to new leadership who decided that they were no longer going to accommodate the females and the only work for them was what they were hired to do, and a fairly dangerous job, so most started to burn sick leave almost immediately............of course a lawsuit was filed and the employer lost based on their past practice.

• Like 1

I deal with them too. That is why I was asking the questions. Finding a way to keep someone on the payroll and being a nice guy can actually come back to bite you if it isn't done for everyone. It really boils down to consistency and that is all of these cases when having any dealings with any protected class. This is in the framework of an employer. The other topic that has been all across the media is the issues with businesses that deny services for what ever reason. I think we went over it some on here but it really is a tough subject if you are a business and have strong beliefs.

for years my employer allowed females who became pregnant to continue to work as long as they wanted, they found work for them to do that was a far cry from what they were hired for, but they still kept them on........fast forward to new leadership who decided that they were no longer going to accommodate the females and the only work for them was what they were hired to do, and a fairly dangerous job, so most started to burn sick leave almost immediately............of course a lawsuit was filed and the employer lost based on their past practice.

better employers have short and long term disability programs which allow for pregnant woman to use up to 26 weeks of short term so long as their doctor is keeping them out. No sick time burning required.

better employers have short and long term disability programs which allow for pregnant woman to use up to 26 weeks of short term so long as their doctor is keeping them out. No sick time burning required.

my point was only about how past practice opens an employer up to potential problems should they ever decide to change it........

• Like 1