Do it yourself beginner out west hunts

BKhunter

I would like to start doing a trip out west each year but don't really have the funds for guided hunts. At the end of the day it's really more about the experience for me. Does anyone have any recommendations on some states to start looking at and any recommendations on how you would do it? Ideally I would like to get into the whole pack hunt concept. I would assume Mule deer, antelope and even elk would be good places to start. Really just think the best way to learn is trial and error but any tips and books are much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat as you. This will be my first out west hunt DIY. I was selected for a Wyoming deer tag. Looking forward to it. Had to apply by end of May, out-of-state deer tags were $330. Plan to just camp for the week and day pack the hunts.

• Like 1

I'm planning a diy elk hunt in Colorado next year. Well be my first tone, but I'm trying to give our group the best chance of success by using that statists class I had to sit through to analyze the different management units and find out which one we have the best chance in. We'll see...

I'm planning a diy elk hunt in Colorado next year. Well be my first tone, but I'm trying to give our group the best chance of success by using that statists class I had to sit through to analyze the different management units and find out which one we have the best chance in. We'll see...

I have a buddy that has been doing that the last couple years, they always come with a respectable Elk. If I remember, I'll ask where they go. I know they do some serious packing while they are there.

• Like 1

BellR

What was your opinion on the class

The class was something I had to sit through in college due to being in biology.  It has proved useful though, basically I was able to take the data that Colorado DEC releases and crunch the numbers to come up with the units that have the highest fill rate on OTC licenses.  Still nowhere near some of the draw hunts, but no preference points required for the OTC ones.  Still going to apply for the draw ones to start building permits, but I figure it will be a few years until I draw a good one and until then I'll just start to build experience.  I figure if our group of 2-3 drives out there, buys tags, and camps out  fairly cheaply we should be able to keep total costs under $1000 per person from when we leave to when we get back.

• Like 1