Any Non-white Members?

I'm good with it. Know why? Because it was in the PAST. A long time ago. I can ACCEPT the flag as part of HISTORY.

That doesn't make any sense at all. Would you fly the nazi flag under the same logic?

#1.. They didn't fling enough

#2.. Would you be against people burning the U.S. flag in protest?

#2 is a federal crime I believe, and maybe I need more coffee because I'm missing your point.

How's this flag racist....? Have you heard about Black confederates? Go back to school and finish that HS degree....

h_k_edgerton_5.jpg

How many times must I repeat myself, it has nothing to do with the flag. Yes, many years ago it represented something different. What it represents now is a dark time in our nations history and symbolizes hate. Most of you keyboard warriors have never even been to the south on vacation and here you are flying flags. Man some of the good ole boys down here would have a chuckle at you.

• Like 1

Really, what is the big deal?  The only change being discussed is removing the flag from the capital building.  All the 'good ole boys', historians, and antagonists can still fly the flag as they choose.

• Like 1

I saw a news clip last night where a fight broke out between some blacks and whites over the confederate flag being displayed.  I think it was in SC.  The funny part was that the white dudes who wanted to display the flag wore camo hunting caps on their heads.  Now wasn't that a surprise? LOL  Probably pals of some of the folks on this site.

Personally I don't think any flag should fly over an government building other that the US , state and local flag if applicable. I can see some appropriate use on government property of the Confederate battle flag, in a historical sense, but in typical US fashion everything it over the top and taken to the extreme. I feel it is totally appropriate for the flag to be displayed at Fort Sumter and in and historical reference. But now that wont be happening.

• Like 1

just think about all the Country Music Artists who have used the Confederate Flag for many many years, on album covers, t-shirts, bumper stickers, coffee mugs, drink holders, key chains and any other type of memorabilia you can think of, not to mention it being in song lyrics, without it EVER being considered racist or hateful by the vast majority..........and all it takes is one incident to send everyone into a tailspin.

• Like 3

just think about all the Country Music Artists who have used the Confederate Flag for many many years, on album covers, t-shirts, bumper stickers, coffee mugs, drink holders, key chains and any other type of memorabilia you can think of, not to mention it being in song lyrics, without it EVER being considered racist or hateful by the vast majority..........and all it takes is one incident to send everyone into a tailspin.

I have considered the confederate flag as a symbol of prejudice well before these current events, but you do make a very valid point.  In my honest opinion the biggest culprit to all this is the President of the United States Barak H. Obama.  Instead of race relations getting better in this country they have gotten considerably WORSE since he has been in office.  He has fools like Al Sharpton frequent the White House way too often, and all of them together have just fanned the flames to all this.  Who would have thunk it?  The first black president gets elected and all hell starts breaking loose with race relations.  Obama could have capitalized on all this and taken the high road (most especially since he is bi-racial), but instead he took the low road.  Very sad, and I can assure him and anyone else who agrees with his methodology that white Americans will not soon forget what his tactics have been.  If he thinks that this will somehow raise the status of blacks in this country, he is sadly mistaken.  Don't really care if anyone thinks these comments have racial overtones or not, but they are the simple truth here.

Edited by steve863
  • Like 1

Guess who started it? :-)

Moi?

I was astounded when I logged back in 10 hours later. I have now been called a racist, a misogynist and a probable aging-hippie draft dodger. While I may be guilty of something, if John Denver music is part of the punishment, we are going to trial. If you want a plea deal, put Django Reinhardt on the table or no deal.

If I recall correctly, the Confederate flag was taken down from the SC statehouse in 2000 after a liberal protest called for it's removal.  It was moved from there to the Confederate Soldiers monument on the SC statehouse lawn.

That's the flag they are demanding removal of now.

It's the old, "Give them an inch...." problem.

• Like 2

Removing a object is meaningless, the hate remains, this is feel good lib bs.. if we ban and remove everything then it goes away,kind of like sticking your head down a gofer hole. Again great leadership in action, so now what they pose with rainbow unicorn flags and we need to remove those. Sad .. very sad., same reason if you agree with them removing the flag, you might as well give them your gun ,as I see them pose with those symbols of hate as well...

• Like 3

It obviously has meaning to someone, and you're right the hate remains. Thing is why should we fly the flag of the losing army on government ground? Why would we disrespect all of the Union soldier that died? When have we given the losing side in any war such power? You have all the right in the world to fly the Confederate Battle Flag at home, or your car, or your clothes. But displaying it on anything government issued or owned is an insult to the Flag of the United Stated of America. In America the pledge of allegiance is said while facing The Flag of the United Stated of America. Even a small bit of research will show the flying of the Confederate Battle Flag has been controversial since early in the 20th Century, the first efforts to remove the flag from government buildings were not about hate but because people did not want the losing side having a rallying point. Later the south itself turned it into an object of hate as they did not fly the American flag at lynchings, they flew the CBF. History is what happened and you can whitewash it all you want here in this forum but the truth is there for all to see. That the shootings in Charleston acted as a catalyst for the final removal of the flag from government space is a natural evolving of human emotions.