Any Non-white Members?

It obviously has meaning to someone, and you're right the hate remains. Thing is why should we fly the flag of the losing army on government ground? Why would we disrespect all of the Union soldier that died? When have we given the losing side in any war such power? You have all the right in the world to fly the Confederate Battle Flag at home, or your car, or your clothes. But displaying it on anything government issued or owned is an insult to the Flag of the United Stated of America. In America the pledge of allegiance is said while facing The Flag of the United Stated of America. Even a small bit of research will show the flying of the Confederate Battle Flag has been controversial since early in the 20th Century, the first efforts to remove the flag from government buildings were not about hate but because people did not want the losing side having a rallying point. Later the south itself turned it into an object of hate as they did not fly the American flag at lynchings, they flew the CBF. History is what happened and you can whitewash it all you want here in this forum but the truth is there for all to see. That the shootings in Charleston acted as a catalyst for the final removal of the flag from government space is a natural evolving of human emotions.

it's not uncommon for a loosing side to have their flag flow by the victors!

I believe some of the battle fields from the revolutionary war fly British flags on the graves of fallen British soldiers.  In fact, I think Ticonderoga has or had British graves with British flags.

There were also German spys (Nazi’s) executed during WWII that have Germany flags flying over their graves, I believe these Germans are buried outside of Washington DC.

The rebel battle flag in SC was being flown at a war monument.  

Edited by mmkay
  • Like 1

How are the acorns looking this year? Bumper crop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know. I'm hoping the apples will do okay this year though. The orchard at my Dad's house where I usually hunt only had one tree that was producing well. Late frost got the rest I think.

Sooooooo....did any non-white members answer this thread and the OP question, or is this still a thread where various bigots go to explain how their dirty racist flag means pride and freedom or whatever?

Not a one answered the original question.

Papist - Admit you are enjoying yourself, especially being able to point fingers at me.

(It's still raining so I'm still stuck inside.)

• Like 1

Papist - Admit you are enjoying yourself, especially being able to point fingers at me.

you didn't answer my question either......

Why does it matter if the person is non-white?   Don't you think whites could find it inappropriate?  Or is your white guilt / Self-perceived white privilege blinding you?

In America the pledge of allegiance is said while facing The Flag of the United Stated of America.

Not anymore. It is optional in many schools and the kids aren't not required to even stand to say nothing about actually reciting the Pledge. Seems like the ones so offended by the Confederate battle flag are the ones that feel kids should not have to acknowledge the US flag either. At least they are consistent in that regards.

you didn't answer my question either......

Why does it matter if the person is non-white?   Don't you think whites could find it inappropriate?  Or is your white guilt / Self-perceived white privilege blinding you?

I can't respond to everything but today I will indulge you.

1 - Because they are very likely to have a different point of view. Actually, a different reality - possibly more different than VJP's and Curmudgeon's.

2 - Yes. It seems apparent some do.

3 - I don't know about white guilt. Or privilege for that matter. It isn't a factor in my life. I do think it odd that a lot of white guys are arguing what about what this means while people whose experience we probably cannot understand are silent on this forum.

My maternal ancestors were Irish - considered non-white at that time. They were disposal people used for dangerous work. They were valued less than slaves. When they were maimed or died no investment was lost. My "self-perceived white privilege" sees the remains of those navvies mouldering in the ground.

• Like 1

I can't respond to everything but today I will indulge you.

1 - Because they are very likely to have a different point of view. Actually, a different reality - possibly more different than VJP's and Curmudgeon's.

2 - Yes. It seems apparent some do.

3 - I don't know about white guilt. Or privilege for that matter. It isn't a factor in my life. I do think it odd that a lot of white guys are arguing what about what this means while people whose experience we probably cannot understand are silent on this forum.

My maternal ancestors were Irish - considered non-white at that time. They were disposal people used for dangerous work. They were valued less than slaves. When they were maimed or died no investment was lost. My "self-perceived white privilege" sees the remains of those navvies mouldering in the ground.

you are wrong!.  the Irish were some of the FIRST slaves in the new world.  the first slave sold in America was sold by a black man.

http://conservative-headlines.com/2012/03/americas-first-slave-owner-was-a-black-man/

http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/history/irish-the-forgotten-white-slaves-says-expert-john-martin-188645531-237793261.html

• Like 2

you are wrong!.  the Irish were some of the FIRST slaves in the new world.  the first slave sold in America was sold by a black man.

http://conservative-headlines.com/2012/03/americas-first-slave-owner-was-a-black-man/

http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/history/irish-the-forgotten-white-slaves-says-expert-john-martin-188645531-237793261.html

I was talking about my ancestors. They were not slaves.

Sooooooo....did any non-white members answer this thread and the OP question, or is this still a thread where various bigots go to explain how their dirty racist flag means pride and freedom or whatever?

LOL!!!!!!!! :rofl:

• Like 1

Your original post was addressed to "non white members" wasn't it. Are you upset that no "non white members" bit on your stinking pile of race bait?? just wondering…...

Edited by ants
  • Like 1

The barely suppressed agenda and general tone of the OP pointed your own fingers right back atcha. It was a self inflicted wound old boy.People simply threw the baited hook back into the boat.

Edited by Papist
  • Like 1

The barely suppressed agenda and general tone of the OP pointed your own fingers right back atcha. It was a self inflicted wound old boy.People simply threw the baited hook back into the boat.

Ouch, ouch, ouch. I think I need to go nurse that wound for a while.

So, who is the blue crayon, you or me?

I go away for a couple of weeks and things go crazy up in here.

I don't know all the finer details of the flag to comment and I'm Chinese so this isn't my fight anyway.  There.  A non-white response.

• Like 2

In my honest opinion the biggest culprit to all this is the President of the United States Barak H. Obama.  Instead of race relations getting better in this country they have gotten considerably WORSE since he has been in office. ]

best post in this whole thread

I go away for a couple of weeks and things go crazy up in here.

I don't know all the finer details of the flag to comment and I'm Chinese so this isn't my fight anyway.  There.  A non-white response.

It's no ones fight. That's the point. The civil war ended a long time ago. I'm with Morgan Freeman on this one: ‘Stop Talking About It’ , if you want to end racism. Perpetuating the 'debate' keeps the wounds raw.

Lefties are simply jumping on this as the next step in the remaking of society in their own image. The next band-wagon will along soon enough.

Edited by Papist

General Robert E. Lee has his statue at US Capitol, are we going to remove that too? Then, what's next? Ugly uniform of some local sports team? Where does it end? 

i'll agree with some of you that the flag should not be removed from any battlegrounds or museums or monuments where it serves as a memory. We shouldn't necessarily celebrate the civil war, but we should never forget, or we're doomed to make the same mistakes.