Western Rochester Public Land

CuseHunter

Well I've hunted the Syracuse and Cortland area for the past 5 years and know most of the spots to go. I went to University at Buffalo last fall and didn't hunt besides when I went back home to Syracuse on the weekends. That being said, now I go to SUNY Brockport. I have my own place off campus so I can bring my hunting stuff to school. With the stress from all my school work (pre-med student) I love to enjoy the silence and relax while hunting during the school year whenever possible. 

I looked online on the DEC website and I'm surprised at the lack of public land around the Brockport area. It's sad that Syracuse has more land I can go to than the country of Western Rochester. Anyone have some public spots they'd recommend? I'd be more than willing to share some spots back in the Syracuse area that I've found in return if that's something you'd like too. It doesn't have to be any honey holes you've found, I just want a piece of land to hunt during the school year and I can't find anything close as of my searches yet for public land. 

Well I've hunted the Syracuse and Cortland area for the past 5 years and know most of the spots to go. I went to University at Buffalo last fall and didn't hunt besides when I went back home to Syracuse on the weekends. That being said, now I go to SUNY Brockport. I have my own place off campus so I can bring my hunting stuff to school. With the stress from all my school work (pre-med student) I love to enjoy the silence and relax while hunting during the school year whenever possible. 

I looked online on the DEC website and I'm surprised at the lack of public land around the Brockport area. It's sad that Syracuse has more land I can go to than the country of Western Rochester. Anyone have some public spots they'd recommend? I'd be more than willing to share some spots back in the Syracuse area that I've found in return if that's something you'd like too. It doesn't have to be any honey holes you've found, I just want a piece of land to hunt during the school year and I can't find anything close as of my searches yet for public land. 

Check out the Bergen Swamp.There's supposed to be some great hunting there.

• Like 1

will do, I know the bergen area slightly. Thanks for the recommendation, it's greatly appreciated. 

I was thinking of asking land owners around as there is nothing but farm land around the area. I was hesitant though because I know the college students don't have the best reputation with the locals. Which is too bad, but I'm sure there is justified reasons with the students having to walk from campus to the bars, I'd probably not be fond of the students either. 

Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge has a lot of deer and isn't far from Brockport

I always thought that the Iroquois NWF wasn't allowed to the public to hunt, but I stand corrected now. I see if butts up the the Oak Orchard WMA which is a nice track of land. Thanks everyone for the ideas. Looks like I'm going to make a drive back to Rochester and do some scouting. 

There are some big freaking deer in the Bergen Swamps. Letchworth is also feasible for you...shoot on down 390.

I would think you might open some doors being a pre-med college kid who hunts and has his head on straight. Be respectful in your approaches and I bet you could land some private ground with a little effort. 

• Like 4

There are some big freaking deer in the Bergen Swamps. Letchworth is also feasible for you...shoot on down 390.

I would think you might open some doors being a pre-med college kid who hunts and has his head on straight. Be respectful in your approaches and I bet you could land some private ground with a little effort. 

yeah, I plan a weekend bow hunt in letchworth this season already. I got a nice 10pt buck last year on some land I had access to south east of there. I'll have to go knock on some doors and see what I can do. Thanks, I love the western NY area for hunting  :derisive:

I hunted a small piece of state land near a ski area out that way a couple years ago but can't remember exactly where. It looked promising, very steep which to me means you'll have the top mostly to yourself. I'll try to find it and post again

Stid Hill Wildlife Management area?

• Like 1

Yeah, I just looked that one up. A good drive though from Brockport, a little over an hour away. I'd like to stay within 30-40 minutes of a drive for a during the week type of place to go. I'll put it on my list though. There is a lot of really good land out that way, south of Rochester.