What's the earliest you've seeded brassicas here in NY?

I was going to ask the same question. For about 7 years now, I have planted winter greens/ TTT within the first two weeks of August here in Steuben County, and they'll get to be 12-18" tall give or take. But last year due to my first daughter being born on July 25, I planted honey hole by antler king (what I thought was super early) on July 12, they grew awesome and super fast, but they went to seed (a 2ft tall thin mustard plant) or how ever you call it by early September. So I disked them in and planted oats. What's the reason they turned so fast? junk seed? or lack of nutrients? Never seen this before, besides in spring when it regrows. If you guys are planting them throughout July? I'm just curious because I've got 3 plots all prepped and ready to seed into brassica/ptt. and I really don't want that to happen again. If I can plant them now I would like to, if not ill just wait a couple more weeks. Please and Thanks everyone.

I was going to ask the same question. For about 7 years now, I have planted winter greens/ TTT within the first two weeks of August here in Steuben County, and they'll get to be 12-18" tall give or take. But last year due to my first daughter being born on July 25, I planted honey hole by antler king (what I thought was super early) on July 12, they grew awesome and super fast, but they went to seed (a 2ft tall thin mustard plant) or how ever you call it by early September. So I disked them in and planted oats. What's the reason they turned so fast? junk seed? or lack of nutrients? Never seen this before, besides in spring when it regrows. If you guys are planting them throughout July? I'm just curious because I've got 3 plots all prepped and ready to seed into brassica/ptt. and I really don't want that to happen again. If I can plant them now I would like to, if not ill just wait a couple more weeks. Please and Thanks everyone.

probaby due to the maturity date of that seed that bolted.  soil make up can have something to do with it too.

• Like 1

I believe it is due to the genetic make up of the turnip seeds they develop at WHT Tail Instutute...they're bred to have mainly greens and the bulbs are secondary, to grow rapidly...just read the link to understand...wintergreens is also a groups of seeds bred specifically for fast top growth for tonnage they refer to them as lettuce type because of the green tonnage not bulbs they produce ...PT turnips are to produce a good bulb .. plants need time to produce good bulbs when that's what they are suppose to do..as with turnips and beets..so the tend not to bolt or go to seed as fast...

http://www.whitetailinstitute.com/tall-tine-tubers-annual/

http://www.whitetailinstitute.com/imperial-winter-greens-annual/

From what I've seen in the past, the local deer herd probably wouldn't let it go to seed, they are on these plots from August-Feb if you have enough forage. But i don't use whitetail institute seed so i cannot say, hopefully i was not too early with my planting.

Brassicas going to bolt are not as palatable as brassica timed right when the frosts hit to convert starches to sugars. The bolting process takes the stored energy into the seeding effort leaving less conversion of the sugar content, reducing the desire for deer to consume it. Lignen content (in the stem) also goes up and as we know, deer don't get the nutrient they desire out of it as much. That's why in the early days of plotting, those in the business really pushed big leafy growth traits in colvers and reduced stem growth.

• Like 1

It made me nervous to ever want to plant antler king honey hole again, or just not as early. maybe wait until mid-late august. I've never had a problem with WI products or evolved before (planting end July- mid Aug.). The deer always let my brassicas and turnips mature until the frost then would start hammering them. The woodchucks are more of a problem devouring my plots early while growing, than the deer. They would just lay in it and eat everything. the deer might nibble a bit passing by, but that's all.

If I cant make my own blend in time, I'll stick to WI products again for this year.

It made me nervous to ever want to plant antler king honey hole again, or just not as early. maybe wait until mid-late august. I've never had a problem with WI products or evolved before (planting end July- mid Aug.). The deer always let my brassicas and turnips mature until the frost then would start hammering them. The woodchucks are more of a problem devouring my plots early while growing, than the deer. They would just lay in it and eat everything. the deer might nibble a bit passing by, but that's all.

If I cant make my own blend in time, I'll stick to WI products again for this year.

Just get yourself some DeerAG DoubleBeam Brassica blend :)

• Like 1

Well, friday I bought a bag of WI TTT and a bag of Winter greens to use in one plot. I also got to the feed and seed and mixed my own blend of rape, turnips and oats in case one fails. ill compare them and see. For the price I sure hope my mixed blend does as well as the WI.. I know I will switch in a heart beat if it does.

Planted the mixed bag yesterday (7/26) and plan to plant the WI this week. looks kind of dry though the next few  days..

I planted an acre of groundhog radish last year, grew monster radishes with 2'ft tall tops and they didn't even touch them until march and that was only for a week or so. I would like to try radish one more time in hopes they'll hit them, but they hammer the brassica/turnips at my place so I play it safe.

does the double beam brassica have turnips in it as well?

I planted an acre of groundhog radish last year, grew monster radishes with 2'ft tall tops and they didn't even touch them until march and that was only for a week or so. I would like to try radish one more time in hopes they'll hit them, but they hammer the brassica/turnips at my place so I play it safe.

does the double beam brassica have turnips in it as well?

it does have radish.

When in a mix with what they are use to you will get much better results....I planted Saturday before the rains and have no fear...Well at least in this area rain is due Thursday. All my stuff is sprouting right now ...lets see if it handles the heat....the nights have cooled enough to leave every thing wet in the morning with dew.

Mixing radish in w/turnips is a strategy often used by manager larger outfitters or land managers. Alot of people believe it helps deer eat the brassicas in year 1 rather than a potentially longer learning curve.

What we usually do is a radish/turnip mix, also some rape in there sometimes. The deer tend to hit the radish greens early, which is fine because it will grow back, then they hammer all of it after a good frost or two, and they dig the turnips up like crazy. I havent really seen them dig the radishes up too much though.

I would Start the unusual stuff out with a buckwheat planting ..that's not needed anymore... I think they trust my judgement now. :derisive:

So  when checking today this is what I saw...the germination /growth  on the hog radish is twice that of the PT. the PT is twice that of the TTT...how do I know the difference? The HR seed is much larger than the PT and the PT is larger than the TTT but the TTT is blue. I have lots of just starting blue seed mixed with the other  actual plants. All planted mixed together.

Is "deer ag" local here in western ny?

Also, since I am new to mixing my own blends at the seed shop. Is there a big difference between "coated" seed and un coated seed.. germination / growth wise?

I'm used to buying commercial seed and they always seem to be coated(bright colored). And my own mixed seed wasn't..?  

Is "deer ag" local here in western ny?

Also, since I am new to mixing my own blends at the seed shop. Is there a big difference between "coated" seed and un coated seed.. germination / growth wise?

I'm used to buying commercial seed and they always seem to be coated(bright colored). And my own mixed seed wasn't..?  

you can get it at Traditions archery in rochester.  Many people will say there isn't a big difference but there is.  There are many studies done by extention offices that prove coated seed germinates quicker and puts out more tonnage.

In my post above...before he asked that question I had just put up my findings....the coated TTT has been the slowest to germinate and the other seeds were not coated...That said I always buy coated legume seed.

BTW our local grocery store had pinto and red kidney beans on the reduced rack ,.....$1 a one pound bag...so I picked up 2 and threw them out with the max-attract...figured if they grow they grow if not, I spend that on a scratch off...Dang if they aren't sprouting faster than the peas in the mix. Now I'll be asking what they do with the really out dated stuff and if I can get those seeds saved for me instead of being tossed....They use to save up all out dated going bad produce for the goats when we had them...

My TTT and Winter green plots were planted last Wednesday evening, Thursday morning we got a good quick down pour. I checked the plots yesterday and the seeds have already sprouted. Even if these are one of the slower germinating brassica seeds out there, I am pleased. The soil is right back to being real dry again. In need of more rain for sure. Hopefully it comes tonight like they're calling for.