Gun Safe's, how are these? what you got?

burmjohn

The price looks good! I am always a bit confused about fire ratings as far as just what is adequate. When they say they are 30 minute rated, What temperature are they assuming? What contents are they assuming are in there, just guns, or does that include papers, ammo, etc.? And then how do you know 30 minutes is adequate? Is that the duration of an average house fire?

I've never ran into any place that clarifies these questions. So these might be pretty good deals, but maybe not if you aren't confident about what the specs mean and whether or not they are adequate.

Doc

the Cannon is 30min @ 1200 degrees... The other one is 30 min @ 1400...

The problem is, anything "better" with higher fire ratings is just out of my range for now (and quite a while).  There is a quite a big jump once you go from these types of safe's to the better ones..  I've also read you can bump the fire rating simply by adding another layer of sheetrock inside the safe as well, obviously you loose interior space, but hey.    I would hope 30 min is enough btw! :)

the Cannon is 30min @ 1200 degrees... The other one is 30 min @ 1400...

The problem is, anything "better" with higher fire ratings is just out of my range for now (and quite a while).  There is a quite a big jump once you go from these types of safe's to the better ones..  I've also read you can bump the fire rating simply by adding another layer of sheetrock inside the safe as well, obviously you loose interior space, but hey.    I would hope 30 min is enough btw! :)

I would think those are fine especially if you have adequate coverage on you HO Insurance. I would however spend a few extra bucks and get a good small rated safe to put the valuables in....especially papers that are such a pain to replace....passports....birth certificated...bonds and such. they are not that expensive and most can be bolted to the floor for security

We had this conversation on the old forum and of course I didn't keep copies of any of it. But somebody came up with some real data on these ratings and house fire durations and intensities and all that stuff. Of course I don't remember any of it, but I suspect that somewhere on the net there is more stuff on what makes an adequate safe.

I understand the money aspect of it all. I really haven't bought a gun safe yet because of the cost and also, foolishly, I never put it on my list of priorities. I will be following this thread pretty close to see if I can fix that.

Doc

No complaints. I keep one of the Remington dehumidifiers (Got at Dicks) in there also. There are many different ones, but I like this one, as when it's wet, I just plug it into an outlet for a day to dry out then put it back into the safe.  http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=400957&pdesc=Remington_365_Mini_Dehumidifier

No complaints. I also had room enough that I could get rid of my smaller safe, where I kept important papers, and store them in the Cannon safe as well. I feel they are more secure in there anyway. I keep one of the Remington dehumidifiers (Got at Dicks) in there also. There are many different ones, but I like this one, as when it's wet, I just plug it into an outlet for a day to dry out then put it back into the safe.  http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=400957&pdesc=Remington_365_Mini_Dehumidifier

That dehumidifier works quite well,I have it also and have no complaints.