New Hunter

Maximus7

I live on Staten Island.  I hunt in 3H, just past Monticello (Mongaup Valley) and I also bowhunt on Long Island occasionally.  My number one piece of advice to you is if you plan to hunt this fall, buy your weapon(s) of choice as soon as possible, and start practicing your aim.

Must have a good pair of boots, preferable waterproof. That way no worries for muddy trails, snow, rain.

I always pack in a small first-aid kit (cut your self skinning, thorns, tripping on rocks), a decent pocket knife as a back up blade, map of the area, compass, FRS radio (some places no cell service, but may raise a hiker or another hunter, or HAM operator if an emergency arises), water bottle and some snacks.

If you are thinking about full day hunts and not going back to a vehicle for food, get a small backpacking stove and pot.mug for coffee/hot chocolate/tea/soup for the cold days.  Something like a SnowPeak Giga-power stove or Pocket-Rocket.  They are light-weight and small.  I carry one in waist-pack for all-day deer hunts. If morning hunts then out for lunch, a good thermos will do the job for a warm beverage on a cold morning.

I mainly use a standard semi-auto shotgun.  Use rifled slugs for Deer/bear season, and shot shells for everything else  - mostly number 6's (rabbit, squirrel, pheasant. duck, turkey).  Only one gun/barrel to clean at end of the hunting season.  For longer range, a rifled barrel for sabots will put you in low-mid rifle distances (75-140 yards or so).  The most simplistic gun with least to repair will be a single-shot or a double-barrel.

It is up to how you want to hunt and personal preferences, and what are willing to (or have available to) spend.

I live on Staten Island.  I hunt in 3H, just past Monticello (Mongaup Valley) and I also bowhunt on Long Island occasionally.  My number one piece of advice to you is if you plan to hunt this fall, buy your weapon(s) of choice as soon as possible, and start practicing your aim.

dont i have to wait until i take my class to buy a weapon, also i have a house in monticello and was looking into their hunting grounds 

No, you can buy a rifle, muzzle loader, pistol, or shotgun before you take the coarse. As long as you pass the NICS check. Bow or crossbow are not subject to NICS. You don't have to pass the HEC to own a weapon. A lot of people don't hunt, but, they target shoot. 

No, you can buy a rifle, muzzle loader, pistol, or shotgun before you take the coarse. As long as you pass the NICS check. Bow or crossbow are not subject to NICS. You don't have to pass the HEC to own a weapon. A lot of people don't hunt, but, they target shoot. 

ok thanks i never would've known that now i need to decide on what i want to do first. i think living in Long island i should go for bowhunting  but i do have a house a monticello in sullivan county. 

What he said.  :)

ok thanks i never would've known that now i need to decide on what i want to do first. i think living in Long island i should go for bowhunting  but i do have a house a monticello in sullivan county. 

For LI, bowhunting is your only option until the January shotgun/mz season, which is a lottery.  

Keep in mind, bowhunting is far more difficult that hunting with a gun.  Go to an archery pro-shop and make sure you find out your proper draw length.  I'd then suggest you shoot several bows in whatever your price range is, and go with whichever you find the most comfortable to shoot.  

Picking the fastest bow is not always the best choice.

Once you have your bow, practice, practice, practice.  The last thing you should want is to wound a deer and not be able to recover it because your arrow hit a non-vital area.

Also, depending on where on LI you hunt, you may need to purchase a tree stand.  If you do go that route, make sure you practice shooting from up in the stand also, it's a bit different from standing flat.

And last, make sure you know what you're doing after the shot.  Don't down a deer and then have no idea how to field dress it, or no plan to either butcher it yourself or know where to drop it off.  Early bow season on LI can still be pretty warm.  Without a plan, that meat can go to waste in a short time.

Edited by Sogaard
  • Like 1

If I were you, I would take NFA-ADK up on his generous offer. He is an experienced LI hunter and knows a thing or two about it. I personally will let you know every thing i know about LI hunting and Westchester hunting that I know. I plan giving LI more hunting time this year. 

• Like 1

If I were you, I would take NFA-ADK up on his generous offer. He is an experienced LI hunter and knows a thing or two about it. I personally will let you know every thing i know about LI hunting and Westchester hunting that I know. I plan giving LI more hunting time this year. 

yes i definitely am, thank you aswell everyone in this forum has helped me out

yes i definitely am, thank you aswell everyone in this forum has helped me out

One thing I learned is that you can be told every little hunting secret in the world, but nothing is better then experiencing things your self. That's the best way your going to learn. Especially since every deer heard acts differently.  

• Like 2