Opinions on new .45 ACP

starting to kick some tires on my options and am looking for your .45 opinion .  what do you own/owned and what do you like and dislike about it. Exclude 1911's, any Kahr, Springfield .. looking for something to shoot at the range few times a year for now, not necessarily for carry anytime soon. Glock 30, S&W MP, even Sigs (220, 227) etc, are considered . . 

Not a 1911, how come?

I've only had one .45 and it was a S&W 1911 lightweight something or other.  I only had it for a few years to scratch the itch.  These days I'm mostly a 9mm fan but sure could be persuaded into grabbing a .40 Glock or similar.

MY 9mm is a S&W Shield and I have been very happy with it.

Good luck with the search, I'm sure you'll get plenty of good advice here........... :)

• Like 1

I've got the 1911 covered. So yah I may be just looking to scratch the itch for a new .45 range gun. A good gun will never go to waste. I would like a good stock trigger and have reading a lot about the long mushy S&W MP trigger having that issue. Some others appear to be more snappy in the up/down recoil direction vs straight back . its a .45 so its going bounce your hand in some direction. Does the Sig justify paying a premium? not sure-ideally we can all shoot before buying. 

The Ruger SR45 is a real good shooter. I've shot my friends a few times. Great trigger, good sights, ambi safety and mag  release. Im seriously considering picking one up. They go for about $500-$550.

I've never shot it but for range use maybe a sw mp 45, I had a compact 40 and liked it but sold it because of the thumbsaftey and it always turning on.

Some of the full sized M&Ps come with a thumb safety. The safety they use is an absolute joke. Its so sensitive that if your thumb even touches it, while firing, it will go back on safe making you think you have a malfunction. That could be a real nightmare in the heat of the moment.