Rabbits and Squirrels

I use to hunt them quite a bit. My buddy always had a beagle. Often the dog(s) will get on a rabbit  and the bunny will stay in front of the dog enough to think its safe. the rabbits almost always circle and return to the area of the  original jump point, often stopping to rest because they think the dog is still far enough away. This offers good shots.  My buddy,s father, old Italian guy who is now gone,  would always use a bolt action .22 and go for head shots on the ones that thought they were out of danger. He did well.  He would always yell at us  for using shotguns on rabbits. 

A year or so before the guy died we were at a party at my friends house. He served up some BBQ rabbit. It was great. The old man got a bite of bird shot and went off on my friend. I don't understand Italian 100% but I know enough. "Those f'ing shot guns for a little rabbit"..or something like that..LOL.  I miss it.

• Like 1

Question. Do you have a days when you just hunt squirrel, and other days just rabbits? When I small game hunt I stay on the lookout for rabbit, squirrel, grouse. and other game in season at the same time. Hence why I prefer a shotgun of at least 20ga. A Shotgun is universal. 

I plan to have days where I just use the 22 to focus on squirrel but after all of your comments I think the best bet is to just bring the shotgun to maximize the chance of putting some food on the table. Hopefully I'll be asking around for some recipes soon. 

Congrats on your new rifle Santiago. What specifically did you get?

Hunting with a beagle is my favorite way to hunt rabbits, but I've done a lot of hunting without one too.

I used to do quite a bit of still hunting for rabbits with a .22, once there was snow on the ground. I'd sneak around in good cover, and try to spot them sitting. It's fun, but I got more shooting opportunities by kicking them out of brush piles, blowdowns, and and other heavy cover, and shooting them on the run with a shotgun.

Like some of the others said, two or more people hunting together, driving, or walking side by side in good cover, produces too.

My favorite way to hunt squirrels has always been to sit quietly on a beach ridge, or along the edge of a cornfield somewhere where they're feeding. I pay close attention to where they fall when I shoot one, but stay where I am. Any others that are around, will get over the scare before long and go back to feeding.

Good luck, and have fun.

Thanks! I picked up a Marlin XT-22 VR. Waiting on the scope to arrive and I will be taking it out to the range hopefully this weekend. I got two of my friends to sign up for hunters ed this summer which I'm proud of. I'll be trying out the buddy system with them. I think small game is a great way to get someone introduced into hunting and everything that comes with it. 

Cool! I've got a buddy that has one, and he loves it. Nice gun,and It's accurate. It should be a small game killer.

I'm glad to hear that your friends are taking the hunters ed class, and I agree with you about small game hunting being as great way to get people involved in hunting.  I like the fact that you said "and everything else that comes with it", too. There's so much more to it, than just shooting game. 

• Like 1

The kill is just a part of the journey. Everything from responsible firearm ownership, to scouting, to butchering and cooking is how I fell in love with hunting. I think its important to share that with people. I don't think I'd ever take anyone out who just wanted to kill something. While it may not be true for all, I'd like to believe that as hunters we are all conservationist at heart. 

• Like 4

The Savage 24 is one of the best all around tools for small game hunting because of it's versatility. There have been many versions made through the years but I prefer the older side button models with a walnut stock. A newer type is still made today. The combinations of rifle and shotgun chamberings will keep you covered for most small game hunting situations and especially for squirrels and rabbits. 

I have a 22 over a 410, with good quality hi velocity 22 cartridges, quality shotshells and Brenneke slugs this little gun has not let me down.

2011-03-23_141242.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1