12 gauge too much?

ok great, Thanks!  can you recommend a particular low brass ammo?  ill be using a 12 gauge, I was thinking a 410 for my girlfriend.  would that be ok in your opinion or should she go with a 12 also?  we were originally going to use .22 but we will be hunting a small forest and the bullet travel makes me a bit nervous

ok great, Thanks!  can you recommend a particular low brass ammo?  ill be using a 12 gauge, I was thinking a 410 for my girlfriend.  would that be ok in your opinion or should she go with a 12 also?  we were originally going to use .22 but we will be hunting a small forest and the bullet travel makes me a bit nervous

.410 is more then adequate for squirrel...........I bet I killed more small game with my .410 growing up then I did with all other gauges combined, not including waterfowl and turkey.

The 12 gauge is fine....Just use  light field loads of 1 oz. of shot( same as a standard 20 gauge load).. Promo loads such as "Squirrel and rabbit loads" from win or rem or game loads from Federal all work fine and they are cheap.

Go with #6 shot..7 1/2s kill ok, but you'll be picking more shot  from the meat.

The payload of shot is what counts in shotgun loads...Without splitting hairs and given similar chokes, a 1 oz. load of shot gives similar performance whether it is fired from a 20, a 16, or a 12 gauge...

the advantages of a larger bore is that it allows heavier loads of shot to be fired, increasing pellet counts and allowing more hits on target at longer range..

For all practical purposes, a 12 gauge firing a 1 oz. load of shot is no more "powerful" than a 20 gauge firing 1 oz. of shot...

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1

I've seen times in the  tall Hickories of Southern Indiana when high brass loads of #6 from a 12 ga were needed when the squirrels were in the tree tops

I switched to a scope sighted bolt action .22lr & upped my percentages significantly.

should I get low brass or high brass?  whats the difference?  Is one softer than the other?

softer recoil? yes......and also consider the fact that early season you may have foliage to deal with so more shot may be needed. But, you're hunting squirrel, so don't over think it.

Edited by jjb4900

A guy that was a year ahead of me in high school asked if I wanted to go squirrel hunting with him . I had my dad's old 22 . Dave had a 30-06 . I asked if he was nuts . He told me to watch and learn . When a squirrel started up a tree and stopped , he would shoot as close the the head as possible without hitting it and the tree rat would fall to the ground . Dave would then wring it's neck . He called it "barking a squirrel" . I had never tried that . This was back in the 50's .

• Like 2

softer recoil? yes......and also consider the fact that early season you may have foliage to deal with so more shot may be needed. But, you're hunting squirrel, so don't over think it.

Some people take their squirrel hunting very seriously. Comments like this is degrading and disrespectful of other hunters. I, personally, am very offended by such comments.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

A guy that was a year ahead of me in high school asked if I wanted to go squirrel hunting with him . I had my dad's old 22 . Dave had a 30-06 . I asked if he was nuts . He told me to watch and learn . When a squirrel started up a tree and stopped , he would shoot as close the the head as possible without hitting it and the tree rat would fall to the ground . Dave would then wring it's neck . He called it "barking a squirrel" . I had never tried that . This was back in the 50's .

There's a few good videos of "barking a squirrel" out there. You don't need an 30-06 to do it either. Many southerners love squirrel brains, and this method of hunting preserves that very well.

The only thing I'd add to the great info above, is to pattern your shotgun with the loads you intend to use, at the ranges you intend to shoot. Just in case you don't already know it, there can be big variations in patterns between different loads. 

• Like 1

Some people take their squirrel hunting very seriously. Comments like this is degrading and disrespectful of other hunters. I, personally, am very offended by such comments.

I apologize....I in no way intended to to offend anyone. I was just thinking that if you're hunting them with a shotgun you really don't have to overthink it.

Edited by jjb4900