12 gauge too much?

I use an air rifle can reach out to 100 bit I usally only shoot to 60 yards

I would like to see an air rifle that would reach out to 100 yds. A 22lr is hard pressed to make head shots on a squirrel beyond 60yds.

With an air rifle, even at 60 yds, there would be a tremendous amount of hold over/under to hit a squirrel in the head.

I have an RWS Diana M42 & it will shoot fairly flat out to 30yds or so. Beyond that, the trajectory is pretty hard to calculate.

• Like 1

softer recoil? yes......and also consider the fact that early season you may have foliage to deal with so more shot may be needed. But, you're hunting squirrel, so don't over think it.

I suppose that's true, just point and shoot with a shotgun.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Shawn, you were offended by jjb's post, while those who use a shotgun might take offense to your post as well. "Point and shoot"?

12ga with #6 should be fine. High or low brass. As mentioned, pattern the gun. 

• Like 1

I use an air rifle can reach out to 100 bit I usally only shoot to 60 yards

Mine shoots a 177 call at 1300 fps I can hit squirrels at 60 yards

First you claimed it could reach out to 100 yds.

Even IF you could judge yardage close enough to make reliable hits with a pellet rifle's looping trajectory as yardages approach 60 yds, a .177 pellet would be dismally low on energy to expect reliable ethical kills at those yardages. If you don't believe that, just look up trajectory & energy charts for the pellet you are using. Most .177 pellets will be less than 30% of the weight of a .22lr bullet & have a much poorer BC so they will shed velocity as well as energy much faster & have a much more drastic trajectory drop.

My .22 pellet rifle with (very) heavy "Kodiak" pellets will retain enough energy to penetrate a gallon milk jug full of water @ 60yds, but I wouldn't feel confident enough to try shots that long on live game W/any air rifle.

I would like to see an air rifle that would reach out to 100 yds. A 22lr is hard pressed to make head shots on a squirrel beyond 60yds.

With an air rifle, even at 60 yds, there would be a tremendous amount of hold over/under to hit a squirrel in the head.

I have an RWS Diana M42 & it will shoot fairly flat out to 30yds or so. Beyond that, the trajectory is pretty hard to calculate.

Most mid to high end PCP's can reach those distances accurately, and with some practice and some calculations, one can be proficient at shooting 100 yards and be fruitful with squirrels.

The .25 Mrod is a great example of an intro PCP that can do all of the above.

• Like 1

Shawn, you were offended by jjb's post, while those who use a shotgun might take offense to your post as well. "Point and shoot"?

12ga with #6 should be fine. High or low brass. As mentioned, pattern the gun.

Aside from bird hunters, and maybe rabbit hunters, shotgun hunting is basically point and shoot.

I always have, and continue to respect those that can use a shotgun so accurately to shoot a fast moving object such as trap/skeet/bird/rabbit. But if shooting a squirrel up in a tree isn't point and shoot, then I must be doing it wrong. Welcome to corrections if that's the case.

Edited by shawnhu

I always try to get a bead, lead and follow through on small game that is scurrying on the ground, or birds in flight. Not just bring the shotgun to my shoulder and start pulling the trigger. To me the term "point and shoot" means someone who is just shooting in the general direction of game and hoping for the best.

I meant no disrespect. Just chatting that a point of view can be different from one to the next.

Edited for spelling...

Edited by ....rob

Most mid to high end PCP's can reach those distances accurately, and with some practice and some calculations, one can be proficient at shooting 100 yards and be fruitful with squirrels.

The .25 Mrod is a great example of an intro PCP that can do all of the above.

The OP that cited "air rifles" was referring to a run of the mill .177 air gun. A far cry from what you are referring to.

For beginners, a 410 with #6 shot is the best squirrel gun. Store-bought ammo is more expensive than 12 ga due to supply and demand as previously stated but if you reload, it is cheaper because you use less lead and powder.

After you get a little experience, a .22 rimfire with solid lead bullets is the way to go. I still have some old .22 target ammo left over from my high-school rifle team days, when the coach always let me sweep the range after practice and meets. That is about the best squirrel ammo you can get. Skip the high-velocity hollow points as they cost more, make too much noise and ruin too much meat.

Head-shots on squirrels are no more ethically-correct than head shots on deer. Just because a squirrel is small, does not mean it doesn't deserve a quick, clean kill. A squirrel running around with a missing lower jaw or a chunk blown out of its throat is a sorry sight because someone wanted to be a hero or thought they could save some meat. Center lung shots with these standard velocity, solid lead bullets will not ruin much meat.

Squirrels are great eating, better than rabbit, but my favorite thing about them is they get my shooting in shape for deer hunting each season. You learn a lot more by practicing on "live targets" than you do on paper. I know plenty of folks who shoot paper targets just fine but fail miserably while actually hunting. Its a lot cheaper to learn on squirrels than it is to learn on deer, and a lot faster because opportunities abound. After you get to the point where you can center-lung hit squirrels every time with a .22, at ranges up to 75 yards or so, killing deer with a center fire rifle or shotgun slug gets almost as easy as shooting ducks in a barrel.

I like to hunt squirrels from tree stands as that makes it easy to use the ground as a backstop. When shooting upward, I always try and make sure that the tree makes a good backstop. "Knowing your target and what lies beyond" obviously doesn't make exceptions for any shooting situations.

Another big advantage of the .22 over any shotgun is the quiet report, especially if using standard velocity or CB ammo. Keeping the noise down makes it a lot quicker to limit out on squirrels, sometimes without the need to move much from a single spot.

I am getting more time to squirrel hunt the last couple years since NY made the x-bow legal for deer. Now I have them extra 3 weeks of early archery season to hunt squirrels. The x-bow is so much more effective on deer than a regular bow that 2 weeks is all I need to get a deer. Shooting squirrels with a .22 is also practice that applies perfectly to a x-bow.

• Like 1

For beginners, a 410 with #6 shot is the best squirrel gun. Store-bought ammo is more expensive than 12 ga due to supply and demand as previously stated but if you reload, it is cheaper because you use less lead and powder.

After you get a little experience, a .22 rimfire with solid lead bullets is the way to go. I still have some old .22 target ammo left over from my high-school rifle team days, when the coach always let me sweep the range after practice and meets. That is about the best squirrel ammo you can get. Skip the high-velocity hollow points as they cost more, make too much noise and ruin too much meat.

Head-shots on squirrels are no more ethically-correct than head shots on deer. Just because a squirrel is small, does not mean it doesn't deserve a quick, clean kill. A squirrel running around with a missing lower jaw or a chunk blown out of its throat is a sorry sight because someone wanted to be a hero or thought they could save some meat. Center lung shots with these standard velocity, solid lead bullets will not ruin much meat.

Squirrels are great eating, better than rabbit, but my favorite thing about them is they get my shooting in shape for deer hunting each season. You learn a lot more by practicing on "live targets" than you do on paper. I know plenty of folks who shoot paper targets just fine but fail miserably while actually hunting. Its a lot cheaper to learn on squirrels than it is to learn on deer, and a lot faster because opportunities abound. After you get to the point where you can center-lung hit squirrels every time with a .22, at ranges up to 75 yards or so, killing deer with a center fire rifle or shotgun slug gets almost as easy as shooting ducks in a barrel.

I like to hunt squirrels from tree stands as that makes it easy to use the ground as a backstop. When shooting upward, I always try and make sure that the tree makes a good backstop. "Knowing your target and what lies beyond" obviously doesn't make exceptions for any shooting situations.

Another big advantage of the .22 over any shotgun is the quiet report, especially if using standard velocity or CB ammo. Keeping the noise down makes it a lot quicker to limit out on squirrels, sometimes without the need to move much from a single spot.

I am getting more time to squirrel hunt the last couple years since NY made the x-bow legal for deer. Now I have them extra 3 weeks of early archery season to hunt squirrels. The x-bow is so much more effective on deer than a regular bow that 2 weeks is all I need to get a deer. Shooting squirrels with a .22 is also practice that applies perfectly to a x-bow.

When a squirrel is in the top of a 100' hickory with late summer foliage, a .410 will not even come close to getting the job done. To say it is "the best squirrel gun" is a blanket statement that would only apply to limited circumstances.

Many don't realize that a full choke .410 is spec'ed to put 70% of the pattern in a 30" circle at 25 yards, not the normal 40 yards where true "gauge" bores are patterned. (.410 is a caliber, not a "gauge")

That being said, full choke .410 will put a little more than 1/2 the number of pellets into a 30" circle @ 25 yards that an Improved cylinder choked 12ga W/1 1/4oz loads.

Squirrels need a high pellet count/dense pattern due to the very small vital area. At the top of a hickory tree, a hunter shooting at a squirrel W/a.410 would be lucky to get 3 pellets strikes in the vitals.

Edited by wildcat junkie

I have owned three .410 bores and have done  quite a bit of squirrel hunting with them..However, I agree with Wildcat in that they are a short range proposition. Very often when squirrels are working the tops of tall hickories and oaks in early season, the squirrels can be in a tree directly over your head and still be out of effective .410 range.

My favorite scattergun for early season squirrels is a 1936 vintage Winchester M12 in 16 gauge choked full.  Using cheap promo loads of 1 oz. of #6 shot, it pops squirrels out of the tops of the tallest trees with authority.  I just have to be careful on close shots to avoid mangling the critters with the tight pattern.  On close shots I  try to "fringe"  the squirrel's head with the pattern, or allow it to move further away until my pattern opens up  .

Having to get so close is why I am not sure if the 410 is he best choice for a beginner since you have to have the patience to get a lot closer than a 12 gauge.

As far as head shots on squirrels, the head of a squirrel is so small that even a 22LR delivers enough hydrostatic shock the put down the squirrel even if you don't hit the brain directly, you can put the squirrel down with a head shot. Even if it isn't an instant kill, it'll drop the squirrel to the ground and you can go up to it and end its suffering (I've only had to do that twice). Never had a head shot get away. You really need to snip the jaw for it to get away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12ga. is the way to go IMHO. you can adjust  loads and chokes to fit the bill. I have hunted them with .22, .410, 20ga and 12 ga… a friend I use to hunt with even used a 28 ga now and then..…They all worked  but for an all around/ all condition gun…12 ga……... Lower it and fill in the dirt.

Edited by ants
  • Like 1

Some people take their squirrel hunting very seriously. Comments like this is degrading and disrespectful of other hunters. I, personally, am very offended by such comments.

not trying to fuel the fire... but I shoot about 6 to 10 squirrels off my bird feeders every summer in my shorts and flip flops. sometimes they get cooked. Don't put it into a category it's not either.

not trying to fuel the fire... but I shoot about 6 to 10 squirrels off my bird feeders every summer in my shorts and flip flops. sometimes they get cooked. Don't put it into a category it's not either.

You could probably shoot6 to 10  deer from a bait pile in the summer  too if it was legal. Hunt Squirrels on public or private land where they are regularly pursued as game & it's a whole different story. Want to make it even more sporting? Use a .36 caliber flintlock rifle like I did at one time when my eyes where better..

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Ive always used a .410 or .22 both work great. Grandad always told me anything more than a .410 for bushytails is cheating and I'd waste more of it than what I could cook. Just something I always kept in check and never went for a bigger shot gun.. seems as tho you will be ok with the right load tho.

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...