Get your vaseline ready NY! Its here...

phade

Oh i agree but a post was put up not to long ago about what of a deer makes you pull the trigger and i believe myself and Antler were the only ones that said antlers make or break why a deer gets shot. The rest were the Blah,Blah, Good times, Meat, Time,Blah Blah. So one would think you would hear no bitching from those that did not use any antlers as a reason to hunt.  Except now its the LAW and we have 10 pages of Bitching!  Love It!

we had a thread a while back on how many guys would hunt if bucks were illegal and while I'm sure a few honest and a few were lying, most of us said we'd probably still go out, but our time and dedication would significantly decrease.

Love me some venison, love the challenge, love the woods but I'll be darned if I'm to be made to feel bad about liking a nice big rack. I can recount every story of every horn on my wall. I only have pics of the doe.

I don't think participation in the doe only periods will be high.  probably drop a bit, more so late season.  some are righting it off because they can't hunt a buck late season.  not everyone is a landowner and gets dmaps and other tags some get DMPs.  i think many will still buy the privilege to get the flexibility of an additional tag for bowhunting.  places here in 4C have enough deer to create ample opportunity.  yet hunters go through seasons passing doe left and right.  especially once phases of the rut kick in.  stuck in reg season with some tags burning a hole in your pocket and then late season is here before you know it.  those determined to fill the freezer will do so early or get bitten by procrastination.

offloading gear like a muzzleloader doesn't make much sense because you'll get nothing for it.  even if you've bought a "whacko" TC prohunter like myself.  might as well keep it.  DEC is so off the wall they might flip things all together in a couple years and you might need it anyway.

Why wouldnt I get anything for mine? Id be marketing it on the web, not selling it locally lol. Plenty of people are in the market for TC Custom Shop Encores.

Oh Man!!!! Be Careful where you tread.   I believe i have been saying this all day and i am the biggest SOB around...Some have pretty short memories thats for sure.   

Antlers mean everything to 99% of the hunters out there but they are just afraid to admit it for some reason.  Sad Really!

I love nice racks, but they arent everything to me. Im still gonna hunt the first two weeks, but not ML. The only reason I hunt ML is for a nice buck, or a doe if Im desperate for meat, which Im usually not by then. Now I cant hunt bucks, so I wont bother unless I need the meat.

BELO,

I answered that honestly..I would hunt..but this is far and away not even close to that...in that situation everyone's in the same boat! The the DEC is basically picking certain areas and saying.... Well you have been bad boys and Girls not shooting enough doe for us..so we are going to punish you untill you all fall in line and drink the kool-aid . Well there's an emoticon for that But I won't fly it. This.... when they do not give use the tools to do what they want in that time period. Which are doe permits!

Unlike my view on rack spreads and mature deer...this one I am just going to go where I still have a legal choice from Oct 1. I will not be getting my does tags for my high density area were I normally and prefer to shoot doe..I won't be blackmail by the state of NY and the DEC.

Edited by growalot

Here's one more opinion...if the DEC wants doe that badly it would serve them right...I'm not calling for anyone to do this! If those first two weeks all of the regional offices found piles of doe left in their parking lots...maybe they'd get the point. AGAIN NOT CALLING FOR ANYONE TO DO THIS..IT'S A PERSONAL OPINION!

This is B.S. and we don't feel like taking it in the shorts again. We are already criminals due to the Safe Act so what's the difference. I don't recognize their laws anymore. That's what this state has come to. Maybe I'll cool down by 10/1 but doubt it.

Define success. Because in your post shown below, it appears there is not much $.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1438814694.223166.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will have to get up a little earlier in the morning if you are trying to catch me in something backwards.

If you read said post you will see the true story on the BREEDER market!!!  Very stupid money needed and made at that end of the business along with trips across the country showing you animals and missing so much time at home.

Now for my success..... I raise 20-30 stocker bucks a year from 280 inches down to 140 inches.  Said bucks are valued from 8 grand down to 2 grand. Most are 180-220 which fetch 5-6 grand plus. There is not a year that goes by that i am not sold out of any bucks that i want to sell. Demand is 3 times higher than product on any givin year.  So if you are any good with numbers you can see that the business pretty much takes of itself. Even though after 18 years its pretty much just a hobby anymore.  I now like to spend my time on my properties and spending time at camp and let the kids profit off of what i made them.

So for your little cut and paste...Yeah there is money in every facet of the high fence deer hunting industry but rather than me chase the $ i like the $ to come to me!.  Anything Else?

• Like 1

This is B.S. and we don't feel like taking it in the shorts again. We are already criminals due to the Safe Act so what's the difference. I don't recognize their laws anymore. That's what this state has come to. Maybe I'll cool down by 10/1 but doubt it.

I hope you did not just say that....You dont recognize their laws anymore!  I said that a little bit ago and man the posts came a flying!

You will have to get up a little earlier in the morning if you are trying to catch me in something backwards.

If you read said post you will see the true story on the BREEDER market!!! Very stupid money needed and made at that end of the business along with trips across the country showing you animals and missing so much time at home.

Now for my success..... I raise 20-30 stocker bucks a year from 280 inches down to 140 inches. Said bucks are valued from 8 grand down to 2 grand. Most are 180-220 which fetch 5-6 grand plus. There is not a year that goes by that i am not sold out of any bucks that i want to sell. Demand is 3 times higher than product on any givin year. So if you are any good with numbers you can see that the business pretty much takes of itself. Even though after 18 years its pretty much just a hobby anymore. I now like to spend my time on my properties and spending time at camp and let the kids profit off of what i made them.

So for your little cut and paste...Yeah there is money in every facet of the high fence deer hunting industry but rather than me chase the $ i like the $ to come to me!. Anything Else?

So on the avg $5k x 25 is $125k gross. To calculate the NET, I would need assistance. I'm no farmer, so I have no idea what it costs to raise these deer, etc. I guess to be honest, I'm a little surprised. With all the $ comments you made, I was expecting millions, not 5 figures.

I live in 8g and can hunt behind my house I also hunt 9p and 8m. It’s nice to be able to hunt out back before or after work.
I agree that the prime reason we are not killing enough does is because of lack of access. Now that the DEC has made their decision on the regulations we can’t change what the DEC has done. There’s only a few things we can do you can like some have suggest shoot a buck anyways and be a poacher. You can, not hunt at all or wait till after the first 15 days. Maybe you can check out a new spot to hunt. Oh here’s something really novel just go out and hunt and enjoy not having to work and have fun.  So stop crying and put on your big kids under ware. Oh one more thing if you didn’t send in anything during the comment period to them you have no right to bitch now

• Like 1

So on the avg $5k x 25 is $125k gross. To calculate the NET, I would need assistance. I'm no farmer, so I have no idea what it costs to raise these deer, etc. I guess to be honest, I'm a little surprised. With all the $ comments you made, I was expecting millions, not 5 figures.

Thats a fair year for a hobby in any book.  Whats real nice is those years that 6 or 8 head out the gate at 8 plus in that group along with the 20 plus. If ya really wanted to get picky we could add in doe's,Fawns and semen sales but why bother.  A hobby making more than 3 times the average person makes in Ny at their jobs. Spending 365 days a year with the greatest animal alive! Yeah it Sucks! 

• Like 1

I live in 8g and can hunt behind my house I also hunt 9p and 8m. It’s nice to be able to hunt out back before or after work.

I agree that the prime reason we are not killing enough does is because of lack of access. Now that the DEC has made their decision on the regulations we can’t change what the DEC has done. There’s only a few things we can do you can like some have suggest shoot a buck anyways and be a poacher. You can, not hunt at all or wait till after the first 15 days. Maybe you can check out a new spot to hunt. Oh here’s something really novel just go out and hunt and enjoy not having to work and have fun.  So stop crying and put on your big kids under ware. Oh one more thing if you didn’t send in anything during the comment period to them you have no right to bitch now

And if the problem of hunters hanging up their hats because of age and such has not shown yet it very well may after this year. Cant kill deer with no hunters in the woods.

I'm going to have to head over to one of my public land spots in 9h the first two weeks just in case that good buck walks by before a doe does ... If memory serves me right , gun opener was Nov 16 or 17 last year , and bow ends the 20 the this year so we did gain a few valuable days in prime time Nov before the orange army hits the woods ... Won't be hunting muzzy likely this year unless for some odd reason I don't get a few doe by then .... Technically we could give them what they want and report left over doe tags at the end of season .... Not saying it solves anything or is the right thing to do necessarily but it would increase the "perception" that doe numbers went up!

There's the reality.

Another note, that I am sure will not go over well is this;

Suburban hunters make up a good percentage of NY deer hunters. Driving for less then a half hour from home is a norm these days. Some hunters have become complacent in hunting areas where they hear weed whackers and can see the local Stewerts from a tree stand. Why not use it to your advantage or as a growing/learning experience? Venture out beyond the land of street lights and city limits!

Like I said, this is a load of crap dropped on us, but it's done.

If you even think about giving up hunting because of this, and are not willing to improvise, adapt, and overcome, maybe you aren't really a hunter at heart. 

I don't know what the logic is behind this. It is very rare that I get to the cabin in early October to hunt. Of course this does not come into play in 8P. There was a post about why you deer hunt. Just being in the woods is great, so much for killing a buck until the two weeks are over for some of you guys. There is no logic here in the decision and I would just move on until you are really poked in the eye! lol

• Like 1

There's the reality.

Another note, that I am sure will not go over well is this;

Suburban hunters make up a good percentage of NY deer hunters. Driving for less then a half hour from home is a norm these days. Some hunters have become complacent in hunting areas where they hear weed whackers and can see the local Stewerts from a tree stand. Why not use it to your advantage or as a growing/learning experience? Venture out beyond the land of street lights and city limits!

Like I said, this is a load of crap dropped on us, but it's done.

If you even think about giving up hunting because of this, and are not willing to improvise, adapt, and overcome, maybe you aren't really a hunter at heart. 

That is exactly the kind of hunter the DEC believes we all are. They continue the war on bowhunters and we have all been conditioned to obediently fall into lockstep and wait for the other shoe to drop. Yes they have reason to assume that everyone will simply take it. That is our history and they know it. But, maybe not all of us.

• Like 2

And if the problem of hunters hanging up their hats because of age and such has not shown yet it very well may after this year. Cant kill deer with no hunters in the woods.

yep, I think many underestimate the amount of casual hunters out there who really don't need that big of a push to just say screw it and not bother going. I know a few older guys who retired and moved out of state, but each year made the trek back home to deer hunt..........they threw in the towel after they implemented ar's and zero chance of doe tags for non residents...............I know many may say they could have looked for new areas and maybe they weren't real hunters, but at 70 plus years of age, that really wasn't possible or the case.

Oh did i miss someone?  The thread is still up and most say they care less about antlers so whats the problem?  Now its Law..That Sucks BUT it should change nothing in those hunters days afield. They were not there for antlers to begin with and they will get no antlers now.

I dispute your claim that most were saying anything  about how they could care less about antlers. The fact is that most were saying that antlers is not the only reason that they hunt deer and that there is a lot more to deer hunting than simply high scoring antlers. I don't think that anyone said that they had a problem with shooting a buck. Even the pure meat hunters cannot be in favor of having a large percentage of the potential deer take being made unavailable to them whether they be buck or doe.

• Like 1

I'd really like someone to name these people who are supposedly crying over not being able to kill a buck?  Most of the people who might be complaining have made it no secret that killing a big buck is what drives them in hunting.  Who are the rest of the complainers here?  I didn't see any.  Getting some meat is what drives me, and this new law has ZERO effect on me since I've never hunted in that area.  My complaint would be that this law will do absolutely little to nothing to bring down the doe population since bowhunters kill very few deer.  Not being able to kill a buck would get NO complaints from me if someone handed me a handful of doe tags instead.  Some here are desperately attempting to get their lame point across that the biggest motivation for ALL hunters is to collect antlers which is BS.  You guys have completely FAILED in trying to convince anyone that this is true.

• Like 2

I'd really like someone to name these people who are supposedly crying over not being able to kill a buck?  Most of the people who might be complaining have made it no secret that killing a big buck is what drives them in hunting.  Who are the rest of the complainers here?  I didn't see any.  Getting some meat is what drives me, and this new law has ZERO effect on me since I've never hunted in that area.  My complaint would be that this law will do absolutely little to nothing to bring down the doe population since bowhunters kill very few deer.  Not being able to kill a buck would get NO complaints from me if someone handed me a handful of doe tags instead.  Some here are desperately attempting to get their lame point across that the biggest motivation for ALL hunters is to collect antlers which is BS.  You guys have completely FAILED in trying to convince anyone that this is true.

no complaints from me either...........the fact that I commented on it and think it's a sh*t deal for those who it effects, and that it's a terrible way for the DEC to accomplish the goal they are after is beside the point.

• Like 1

I dispute your claim that most were saying anything  about how they could care less about antlers. The fact is that most were saying that antlers is not the only reason that they hunt deer and that there is a lot more to deer hunting than simply high scoring antlers. I don't think that anyone said that they had a problem with shooting a buck. Even the pure meat hunters cannot be in favor of having a large percentage of the potential deer take being made unavailable to them whether they be buck or doe.

Many Did.  It has been said many times that they would hunt even there were no bucks. Cant say i agree with this but for the ones that said antlers do not matter, They should not be as pissed as those that said antlers mean much more .If there are more does than bucks and antlers do not matter hunting should not change for a whole bunch of people.

Now if this brings out the truth and antlers really do matter and is in fact the real reason most get out of bed, which i think is more the case, thats a different story.  Most hunters lay their head down at night and wake at 4 in the morning with the dream of the biggest twisted racked buck in the woods walks by their stand that morning. Yes many will accept smaller if it happens by but the bone rules in hunting if anyone ever got down to the real truth of the matter.  Now thats been removed and that is what pisses people off. Just as Ar pissed of people because that took away their choice of taking a..Smaller One..if that twisted monster they dream about does not happen by.  People do not like things taken away from them.

No the point being driven is if antlers mater none to them before then not being able to shoot a buck should not dig to deep. As far as doe tags i believe a person can get what like 6 a year or something. Plus muzzy and bow.  I know in 8H i can get a fist full. More than 1 family would ever eat unless they eat the stuff 7 days a week.