Get your vaseline ready NY! Its here...

phade

I have to admit, I was a little shocked to see my area in 9h go unaffected, but I think last years bad ass winter saved us with a mass doe/fawn winterkill.

Or maybe the coyotes are doing a better job than I gave them credit for.... :rolleyes:

After seriously reading every post in this thread, I think some of you are having a hard time seeing past the deer under your stand no matter what the sex or how many are there at one time.

Absolutely I think this was the wrong way to go about (start) getting things under control, but I'm sure this is only the beginning.

Regardless of your preferred weapon of choice, changes needed to be made, and they started at the bottom of the totem pole. Eventually they will make their way to the top with new changes and EVERYONE will feel like they're being crapped on equally the same.

Just wait and see....but don't be surprised when it these management plans roll over into gun seasons as well. :scare:

Well is you go back to their 2012 /2016 management plan if this doesn't work then phase three is on the way. An early ML season.

well I've been bow hunting twice that long. I remember getting 1 tag for a buck good I both bow and gun and a doe permit was called a party permit you would have up to 5 guys on a permit you could kill a doe in bow. So when you get older you may learn what’s really important hopefully not looking down at your 20year old praying he doesn’t die.(he didn’t)

• Like 1

Well is you go back to their 2012 /2016 management plan if this doesn't work then phase three is on the way. An early ML season.

I understand that completely, but you know what's gonna happen when and IF the gunners wipe out the whitetail to DEC standards....(whatever that may be)

That's when they'll pull the rug out from under all of them as well and this shoddy management plan will affect even them. If you don't think there will be some screaming and yelling then you're out of your mind!

All  (gunners) that may be grinning ear to ear today will likely shed some tears tomorrow when "the ultimate goal" is finally obtained.

This trickle effect always starts at the bottom when there's an unknown agenda that need to be implemented.

I have to admit, I was a little shocked to see my area in 9h go unaffected, but I think last years bad ass winter saved us with a mass doe/fawn winterkill.

Or maybe the coyotes are doing a better job than I gave them credit for.... :rolleyes:

After seriously reading every post in this thread, I think some of you are having a hard time seeing past the deer under your stand no matter what the sex or how many are there at one time.

Absolutely I think this was the wrong way to go about (start) getting things under control, but I'm sure this is only the beginning.

Regardless of your preferred weapon of choice, changes needed to be made, and they started at the bottom of the totem pole. Eventually they will make their way to the top with new changes and EVERYONE will feel like they're being crapped on equally the same.

Just wait and see....but don't be surprised when it these management plans roll over into gun seasons as well. :scare:

Hunting in 9H also. So from what I can figure out of this mess is there is zero change ?!

All  (gunners) that may be grinning ear to ear today will likely shed some tears tomorrow when "the ultimate goal" is finally obtained.

I really don't know what they would be grinning about...lets see.... guys moving to other areas making it more difficult for guys that live there and taking more deer than usual. For the ones in the management areas the early woods will be less pressured ..not stunk up and the deer more relaxed by the 15th ...So chances are the bow hunters will clean up on bucks from the 15th until crossbow and through to gun season....they can smile all they want but in the end the bow hunter can come out on top...if they don't drink the DEC's kool-aid and bend over for blackmail.

What comes to mind when I see the DECs rule changes are...Welcome to 6a in the nz. We have had muzzle loaders in our bow season for what seems like forever now. Poor  deer population  and you might as well hang up your bow after 2 weeks after the mzls hits the woods.

That is exactly the kind of hunter the DEC believes we all are. They continue the war on bowhunters and we have all been conditioned to obediently fall into lockstep and wait for the other shoe to drop. Yes they have reason to assume that everyone will simply take it. That is our history and they know it. But, maybe not all of us.

Well, I love hunting with the bow too. If you look at the NZ ( which most of you don't ) you will see that you can use a ML to take a doe in most areas, but not a bow or shotgun or rifle! That irritates me too, and I have said so.

These changes aren't a war on bow hunters. It's effective across all the seasons in the SZ.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28605.html

I have seen hunters making petitions here and other sites for fall turkey season and dove hunting, but I didn't find one petition to try and stop this from happening to deer hunting.

Now, you are looking over a puddle of spilled milk and wondering what happened and why. That's what makes no sense! Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

No one in this state will ever be happy about any hunting change. 

I don't see an attack on horn hunters at all here.  Only point some of us are making is that horns are not what motivates us to hunt.  You guys have a hard time believing it for some bizarre reason.  People like Four Seasons tries to bring this horn factor up in thread after thread.  To him horns are obviously everything along with a source of income and he can't fathom anyone else thinking differently.  What else can we tell you guys?  Should we tell you that you guys are right and that we are wrong and stupid just to make you feel good??

So once again my business or income is brought up in a subject that has nothing to do with it.  You and Biz over and over. This is not about trophy antlers. This subject is about ANY buck.

Sorry that i have to admit that i need a challenge when it comes to hunting. I can walk into any of my properties and kill a deer in no time at all. Not a real tough thing to do. For me to locate and kill a 130 buck in my properties is like so peoples challenge to find a deer at all. Makes it a tad more interesting.

I really don't know what they would be grinning about...lets see.... {b}guys moving to other areas making it more difficult for guys that live there and taking more deer than usual.{/b} For the ones in the management areas the early woods will be less pressured ..not stunk up and the deer more relaxed by the 15th ...So chances are the bow hunters will clean up on bucks from the 15th until crossbow and through to gun season....they can smile all they want but in the end the bow hunter can come out on top...if they don't drink the DEC's kool-aid and bend over for blackmail.

You must be talking 'bout poachers right?

Last I checked, guys moving into areas killing deer on properties that they weren't welcome on were considered trespassing poachers.

Yes, that does make things more difficult for a landowner or region when you look at it that way.

Someone like yourself threatening to reconsider what dmu's they hunt is not an issue seeing you likely already have access and approval.

It won't change much in the grand scheme of things.

My comment of gunners grinning for the moment was only directed towards the divide that has recently come about between the two implements.(gun and bow)

There is a separation there, and some are failing to see this will have an impact on ALL hunters in the end whether they realize it or not right now by fueling this separation.

The whole "it doesn't pertain to me" will one day soon..... so wipe that smirk off your face before someone wipes it off for ya. (DEC)

• Like 1

well I've been bow hunting twice that long. I remember getting 1 tag for a buck good I both bow and gun and a doe permit was called a party permit you would have up to 5 guys on a permit you could kill a doe in bow. So when you get older you may learn what’s really important hopefully not looking down at your 20year old praying he doesn’t die.(he didn’t)

What?

Hunting in 9H also. So from what I can figure out of this mess is there is zero change ?!

Yep- missed you in my reply.

No change for us 9h'ers.

Shoot 'em up, let 'em walk.... whatever your heart desires, we are free to hunt as we please the way we have been.

• Like 1

What?

back in the day, you got one tag that was good for either sex during archery and buck only during the regular season, if you filled it during archery you were done (that changed later on)..........doe tags in most areas had to have 3-5 guys applying for one tag.....usually guys would take turns carrying it until it was filled. I think the multi tag system we have now was began in the early to mid 90's (maybe?) if not later.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 2

we missed this one, but got hit with the antler restrictions a few years ago........we make do with the cards we were dealt, I'm certainly not gonna sell the property/house and go where the grass is greener, we get enough dmp's to keep things moving along and soon enough the AR's are gonna pay off BIG!!! ahh, who am I kidding, I doubt it.....But, it's just deer hunting, not like I lost my job and need to go searching for a new one....

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 2

Wooly my comment had NOTHING to do with poachers. I'm talking about guys going out and getting permission, leases and or going public land those two weeks in other areas.Your right it is going to effect all hunters in the end. If enough bow hunters do this and send the DEC a message. I saw this coming and made my plans. When the time comes I'll adjust accordingly ...but I will not support a poor management plan. As many of these post show they had several better ,far more efficient ways to achieve their goals.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/102860.html

So here is their statment. Again, what are their needs? They just say they are not being met in the antlerless only units. Not on single freaking number to hit. Not one.

You are not meeting our goal but we are not stating what it is.

Looks like I can now use up to 4 DMAPs instead of 2 in addition to my 4 DMPs, an either sex and another antlerless.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/102860.html

So here is their statment. Again, what are their needs? They just say they are not being met in the antlerless only units. Not on single freaking number to hit. Not one.

You are not meeting our goal but we are not stating what it is.[/quote.

I totally agree. You have to have goals in order to set goals.

Could.of.been easily.avoided if archers shot does instead of waiting for a big buck.... that's what they want kill does.. but I'd get doe tags and fill all those first

Everyone I hunt with including myself have let the air out of far more doe than buck. We hunt because we like to shoot em and eat em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Jmythngdmb

I keep hearing there are not enough bow hunters to get the numbers down. You are right there aren't. Especially when they refuse to shoot does. No one can say this is false because this thread is full of guys and gals who have said they will either not hunt those 2 weeks or will hunt in an area that they can shoot bucks. The dec has seen over the years that the bow hunters are lower on the take of does then the bucks. At this point there is no way that enough does can be killed by bow hunters, however if you had been willing to take more does in years past then just maybe the numbers would not be so far out of wack. It is more of a punishment then an attack. Alot of people see bow hunters as buck hunters and that is exactly what all these comments are saying about you as well. NOT ALL BOW HUNTERS BUT MOST. Look back through the comments. You are saying I want to kill bucks and will not hunt if I have to hunt does. Or that you will just not hunt the areas that they want does taken in so you are doing just what they have been seeing you do for years and that is refuseing to kill does because you want racks. They are not takeing buck hunting away from you just saying you have to wait. It wasnt too long ago that bow season opened on the 15 so you are just going back to that date to hunt your presious bucks.

In the last couple pages someone said that if I was told that I could not kill bucks I would get pissed. Wrong they can change my buck tag to a doe tag right now and it would not bother me at all. What would bother me is if they told me I could not use the tag I paid for. That is not what they are telling anyone they are saying use it for does.

Early bow is the best time to take out those doe they want gone if bow hunters will not do it then lets switch seasons. Start gun season on oct 1 . Have a 2 week doe or make whole month of oct doe only and ony 15 days to get a buck. Then have bow season start on Nov 15 and let you guys kill what ever you want. Wounder how many guys would hunt with bow then. Very few I bet and the comment would be all about the bucks. I can see it now the gun hunters scared all the bucks away or they shot all the bucks. Truth is you want that early time to get you big buck and can not stand being told you have to wait or the thought of someone else possable getting it before you.

Someone asked me if I hunt with a bow and that if I didnt then my opinion did not matter. No I do not hunt with a bow. As I have said before I use to bow hunt and have stated why I do not anymore. I also do not hunt in any of the areas that these regs effect. Neither of these things mean I have no problem with those regs. I think they are BS yet I believe they could have been avoided with a little more effort to take does in the past. All hunters opinions matter in this because even if they do not affect us all now it will not be long before they or other regs do.

Phade you keep saying that bow hunters would be willing to kill more does if they gave a number on how many they want killed. You say they never give a number. You are wrong. They give you the numbers every year. When the issue DMPs the issue a set number for areas. If they are giving out 10,000 DMPs then that is there target number. If the issue 5.000 that is there number. When guys get these tags and do not use them because they do not want does killed or those tags are just not filled because of wanting to wait for that big buck then there number is not met. If they have 10,000 permits for an area and only 5,000 are filled then only half there goal was met. By not filling those tags a problem has arose. It is simple. shot the does they give you tags for and you will hit there goal. They are not going after the gun hunter because they have shown they are willing to kill more does then the bow hunter. Bow hunter take my not beable to be what guns is but it could be higher with a little affort. I'm not syaing put population controll on the shoulder of the bow hunter but if a little help was gotten from the bow hunter then it would not have gotten this far with the regs.