Get your vaseline ready NY! Its here...

phade

Valid October 1 - September 30 Valid September 1 - August 31 Resident:

$29 (small/big game)

-or-

$26 (small game only) $22 (residents, ages 16-69*)

small game & big game included

in the single hunting license

this says small game big game are one license does it not? Also if I can not assume that all sportsmen and ss are bow hunters. How can we assume that any of the licenses sold are for hunting period. Maybe alot of guys do not mind the money. maybe 905 of the big gam licenses sold were to guys who only hunt fish but figured heck I know the money is going to a good cause so I will buy a hunting licenses even though I will never hunt.

Yes many of you have said you do shoot does. That is why I said most. How ever does are last on you list and the dec wants them first. Most bow hunters worry too much about that big buck and not enough about management. Unless that management will get them a bigger buck.

Try thinking this way. If you are willing to shoot doe. If you shot a big 10 point in the first 2 weeks and then still go out doe hunting how would feel if a huge record 12 point walks by. You can not shoot because you already shot a big yet smaller buck. You would have to let him walk because you have no tag. As it is now you see the buck and have to jus wait. Atleast you still have a tag and a chance to get him. If all hunters did not shoot because there might be a bigger one along latter then no deer would ever be shot.

I have not said the dec is right in doing this or that there numbers are even close to correct. However every year they give us a number to shoot for. Yes I know they over issue those dmps how ever if you just go for the number the issue and not worry about what they will except for bottom line they will be happy. If your employer gives you exact numbers and says this is the low ball number I will expect most will always go for that low ball number and leave it at that. If they give you a high number and you end at a lower number then you might just hit the number they realy want. Not giveing them any numbers because you want thing differently rarely works out. as is the case bow hunters are faceing now.

Yes many of you have said you do shoot does. That is why I said most. How ever does are last on you list and the dec wants them first. Most bow hunters worry too much about that big buck and not enough about management. Unless that management will get them a bigger buck.

I see from your profile you do not bow hunt...though all I had to do was read is your posts...

Let me give you a little info on the above statement.. You speak from being absolutely clueless and if you have hunting with a bow in the past and not now, that statement remains the same.  They are not last on a good percentage of bow hunters list and here is why...

It takes confidence and skill to shoot a big buck...equipment is expensive and poor shots are very costly as far as mental stress...I will all ways hit the woods in Oct. with the main goal of shooting a nice doe first....when one shoots their bow at a stationary target they gain power and skill but shooting at a live animal takes confidence power and skill.. you are looking at an entire year of not shooting at a live animal and confidence has a shelf life .I actually pray to have a good doe come into range before a good buck. ...ALWAYS That good kill shot on a weary doe is the confidence builder I need to stay calm enough for a good shot on a target buck.

Well , to add fuel to the fire , my sons and I take doe during the summer with Crop Damage Permits . I got my foot in the door when a Farmer was interviewed on tv complaining out losing thousands of dollars in crops due to deer . Many hunters look down on this but the farmer doesn't get enough deer taken . There are a few other guys who also take deer off of the guys farm fields . 

Are you guys doing that with bows?

I always hear about how bowhunters should be let in state parks, municipalities  etc to help with the deer populations. How this would solve the problem.

No all of a sudden its completely illogical and impossible for bowhunters to control the population.

Here's a thought,  go out during bow season and shoot as many doe as possible, then don't shoot any in gun season! Show the DEC that bowhunters can do it. Bring the % of antlers deer taken by bow somewhere even close to what gun hunters take

If not it will go to the guns  unfortunately the DEC will give them two weeks of prime archery season to do it.

We asked to use DMPS in archery season and got it now use them!

Um, that would be because in suburban locations, city or county parks, etc archery gear is better suited to dealing with safety issues with houses, buildings, etc all around than a gun is. Quiet and less disruptive to the people that live there as well. Its really the only option to get hunters in there to help with the problem rather than blow craploads of cash on sharpshooters.

• Like 1

definitely a lot. 

we've been telling our hunters to use DMAPs first over other tags.  figure it gives DEC a better idea of what's going on and we know they'll all get reported.  I've heard the three year deal will be them giving you the balance of what you didn't fill and then once the tag is more than 3 years old it'll be no good.  It'll make our lives crazy ensuring we keep track of hundreds of them and impress the need on hunters to not loose them.  I'm sure it saves DEC money as they're not producing so many though, so I'm ok with it.

On one of the farms I hunt, I have to burn my 2 DMAPs first. If I dont, the farmer is not happy. 9 times out of 10 those are the only deer I take off of that property, unless a nice buck comes by.

Funny how I am clueless yet I am the one who got out of bow hunting years ago because I could see where it was going.  I also can not stand when you guys state how hard bow hunting is. I never saw it as hard and had lots of luck with bucks and does. I have posted pics of them in the past. As I have said I was a bow hunter do not try to tell me how much skill you need to do it. Expesially when I can go in the woods in my jeans and tee shirt and have deer walk withen feet of me without notice. I am alking bucks and does big and small. Hell one of the bucks I have posted, i believe it was he 8 point came in when i was at base of tree he let me stand draw and stick him. Not always that easy but deffently not as hard as you make it sound.

I always find it funny that the only time I hear you guys say you shoot plenty of does is when you are called on it. You also say I shoot plenty of does but want my buck first. Then maybe if I have time I might take a doe. Or when you say it is too warm to kill a doe but i will kill a doe. Too warm for doe killing but fine for buck killing? do they require different temps.

Confidance and skill to shoot at a live animal?  That is like saying you get all excited when they come in close. I stopped getting excited about that stuff when I was 17. It is hunting they are animals I am out there to kill them. If one gets in where I take a shot it is nothing to get excited about that is what i am out there for and what I expect.

Stop crying and live with the problem bow hunters have created for themselves. It will not be long before they put guns in october.

Explain how I'm talking out my backside?

Whats not true about what I wrote?

I highlighted the comments that were bull. All of your "bowhunters did this to themselves" stuff is plain bull as well. I honestly dont think you have a clue as to how things work out this way. I dont know any bow hunters that dont take a doe when they have the opportunity at some point through their bow season. I also know of huge tracts of land that are hunted by a very small number of guys, so that turns into a relatively small number of deer taken per season on that land. Then you have all of the areas that are suburban and you cant hunt.

The biggest problem around here is land access. Thats why enough does arent being taken.

Again, if the goal really was to kill more does in these areas, the doe only season would happen during gun season. Its not about making any group prove that they can do it, its about management, and that means using the most effective resources to accomplish a goal.

Valid October 1 - September 30 Valid September 1 - August 31 Resident:

$29 (small/big game)

-or-

$26 (small game only) $22 (residents, ages 16-69*)

small game & big game included

in the single hunting license

this says small game big game are one license does it not? Also if I can not assume that all sportsmen and ss are bow hunters. How can we assume that any of the licenses sold are for hunting period. Maybe alot of guys do not mind the money. maybe 905 of the big gam licenses sold were to guys who only hunt fish but figured heck I know the money is going to a good cause so I will buy a hunting licenses even though I will never hunt.

Try thinking this way. If you are willing to shoot doe. If you shot a big 10 point in the first 2 weeks and then still go out doe hunting how would feel if a huge record 12 point walks by. You can not shoot because you already shot a big yet smaller buck. You would have to let him walk because you have no tag. As it is now you see the buck and have to jus wait. Atleast you still have a tag and a chance to get him. If all hunters did not shoot because there might be a bigger one along latter then no deer would ever be shot.

I have not said the dec is right in doing this or that there numbers are even close to correct. However every year they give us a number to shoot for. Yes I know they over issue those dmps how ever if you just go for the number the issue and not worry about what they will except for bottom line they will be happy. If your employer gives you exact numbers and says this is the low ball number I will expect most will always go for that low ball number and leave it at that. If they give you a high number and you end at a lower number then you might just hit the number they realy want. Not giveing them any numbers because you want thing differently rarely works out. as is the case bow hunters are faceing now.

You're still missing the point. EVEN IF ALL BOWHUNTERS SHOT A DOE... statistically would that even matter? Consider too that all tags sold are not in areas where they issue DMP. So how many bowhunters need to shoot doe and how many doe to make the DEC happy? We cannot meet their goal when we do not know what it is. And still the biggest point to be made is why do you a gun hunter not hold some of the responsibility?

And can we stop pretending harvesting a doe with a bow is as easy as putting your shoes on in the morning? Most bowhunters work their ass off and still might not even get an opportunity. Yes, some of us are blessed with good land but not all bowhunters do, and frankly arrowing any deer is an accomplishment when you consider what goes in to it.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 2

Well here are just a very,very small selection of doe I have shot...too many with no pics and many many on zip drives from various computer cleanings...If I were to do a percentage I shoot doe 4:1 over buck at the very least. In all these years I never needed to be black mailed into doing so nor will I be in the future, that's for dang sure.

I highlighted the comments that were bull. All of your "bowhunters did this to themselves" stuff is plain bull as well. I honestly dont think you have a clue as to how things work out this way. I dont know any bow hunters that dont take a doe when they have the opportunity at some point through their bow season. I also know of huge tracts of land that are hunted by a very small number of guys, so that turns into a relatively small number of deer taken per season on that land. Then you have all of the areas that are suburban and you cant hunt.

The biggest problem around here is land access. Thats why enough does arent being taken.

Again, if the goal really was to kill more does in these areas, the doe only season would happen during gun season. Its not about making any group prove that they can do it, its about management, and that means using the most effective resources to accomplish a goal.

Sorry WNY none of it is bull.

And bowhunters don't shoot the same % of antlerless deer as gun hunters or muzzleloaders.

Sorry It's the truth. 

i do have to admit though, whenever a thread is posted about ARs or trophy hunting so many of you guys are like "cant eat the horns, and i'm a meat hunter" and all that, but look at you now, alot of you want the ability to shoot a buck now that's its been taking away from you. Before you guys could care less if a deer with horns even existed.

I didn't take what you said personally so no hard feelings but I just wanted to point out that I am a meat hunter and I am bothered by this new reg still. What if the only deer I see during mz is a buck? I have to let that meat walk, and one more deer that would have been taken lives on. DEC claims this is about deer density not protecting young bucks. Last year on gun opener I sat until almost 3pm before I shot a doe, reason being it was the only doe I saw. I had 7 young bucks around but the owner has a thing about letting those guys grow up a little, his land not mine so I respect it. If I had shot a buck early I would have been back up the tree after gutting it. I shoot doe, as many as I can as it is, I didn't need Albany to punish me for it while telling me to go shoot more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Wmu issues 100000 tags for dmu , sucess rate by their swag is 30 %, so 33000 doe in an area, not hard to figure out, the areas they did this in have more permits than hunters taking permits, so if they wanted 33000 take n they. HaND out 100000, but only 60000 are taken by hunters, so knowing 30 % kill they won't reach their numerous goal, but had bow hunters taken the extra permits and filled them at a rate of 40% they would of met target,

problem is most people do not want 5 deer in freezer and only get one or two tags,that is where bow hunter and gun hunters need to step up and shoot doe and donate... but that didn't happen either so force bow hunters to take a doe in first 2 weeks if they want to hunt.... really simple when you look at it

Is it really like shooting fish in a barrel in these places? There is a 30 acre parcel I have access to in 8f, and while there are deer there, they aren't walking past my stand every 30 min. If it's really that good on some of the other properties I wish someone would let me know I'd love to join the party.

• Like 3

Sorry WNY none of it is bull.

And bowhunters don't shoot the same % of antlerless deer as gun hunters or muzzleloaders.

Sorry It's the truth. 

most bowhunters I know of take doe more so than bucks.  you can't compare bowhunters with gun hunters as most people who hunt with a bow, hunt with a gun also.  you can't even compare hunting implements, bow and gun, because the useage isn't the same.  pretty sure anyone looking at this thread has figured that out.  otherwise they're illiterate.

they should've just made the regular tag a conditional regular season either sex tag based on WMU you're in, similar to how it's used in the late season.  weekend warriors that run out of time to hunt or lose interest would then, as the opportunity presents itself, call it a season and take a doe.  any false reporting and taking of a doe that way in close areas of neighboring units would be chalked up to not much of a loss.  not like you cross the invisible WMU boundary and suddenly see a ton of deer.  it's common sense that people will get upset if you restrict their harvest but immense if you take away chance completely.  DEC should've known.

Edited by dbHunterNY
  • Like 2

I didn't take what you said personally so no hard feelings but I just wanted to point out that I am a meat hunter and I am bothered by this new reg still. What if the only deer I see during mz is a buck? I have to let that meat walk, and one more deer that would have been taken lives on. DEC claims this is about deer density not protecting young bucks. Last year on gun opener I sat until almost 3pm before I shot a doe, reason being it was the only doe I saw. I had 7 young bucks around but the owner has a thing about letting those guys grow up a little, his land not mine so I respect it. If I had shot a buck early I would have been back up the tree after gutting it. I shoot doe, as many as I can as it is, I didn't need Albany to punish me for it while telling me to go shoot more.

Yes in the end we all want the ability to shoot what we want,  when we want. hopefully legally...

Edited by NYBuckHunter27

"most bowhunters I know of take doe more so than bucks.  you can't compare bowhunters with gun hunters as most people who hunt with a bow, hunt with a gun also.  you can even compare hunting implements, bow and gun, because the useage isn't the same.  pretty sure anyone looking at this thread has figured that out.  otherwise they're illiterate."

DB,

Honestly explain to me why bowhunters shoot a lower % of does then other hunters.

I don't want to offend anybody, and since I no longer bowhunt, I don't have a dog in this fight, but just as an observation, I can't think of a single one of my bowhunting friends who shoots does with his bow.

These same guys don't seem to have any problem shooting does for meat during gun season or late MZ season...

As I said...Not to draw fire, only an observation..

I don't want to offend anybody, and since I no longer bowhunt, I don't have a dog in this fight, but just as an observation, I can't think of a single one of my bowhunting friends who shoots does with his bow.

These same guys don't seem to have any problem shooting does for meat during gun season or late MZ season...

Is that because they have a specific buck patterned and they don't want to mess it up? Just curious, because my group will shot as many doe as they have tags, I'm curious why the drastic difference in our ways. And what unit are they in?

"most bowhunters I know of take doe more so than bucks.  you can't compare bowhunters with gun hunters as most people who hunt with a bow, hunt with a gun also.  you can even compare hunting implements, bow and gun, because the useage isn't the same.  pretty sure anyone looking at this thread has figured that out.  otherwise they're illiterate."

DB,

Honestly explain to me why bowhunters shoot a lower % of does then other hunters.

there's nothing to debate.  we're all on the same page.  you and others are really comparing the implements but wording it to compare hunters.  people are taking it the wrong way.

I have always been under the impression that if you shoot does , the bucks will extend their range looking for doe . Seems like that would increase the odds of getting a buck when the time comes .

I've had crazy amounts of success harvesting doe early in specific areas and then backing right off with the pressure to allow the lesser number of doe to be at ease and draw in bucks during the phases of the rut.  the October lull I feel is a myth as bucks first really start seeking doe, but the buck to doe ratio is so messed up a buck travels very little to find one and the next one and the one after that.  then the chasing phase kicks in (with added hormone levels) and the doe can't stand the harassment.  tries to get away and the deer move more so you see them again.

exactly same bowhunter, he/she just now has a gun.  still taking deer so you can't blame the "bowhunter".  dead deer is a dead deer.  I feel their reasoning is opportunity will be there again during the long deer season, it's warmer to the point meat could be a worry, etc.  multiple reasons people have told me.  it's better to take doe early though.

Is that because they have a specific buck patterned and they don't want to mess it up? Just curious, because my group will shot as many doe as they have tags, I'm curious why the drastic difference in our ways. And what unit are they in?

Mostly 8X and 8T...I really believe that it is mostly because they would rather say " I shot a six point , but he wasn't bad for a BOW buck" than say they shot a doe.. They figure they can use their DMPs or MZ tags for meat deer...

I am just speculating on their motives...