Get your vaseline ready NY! Its here...

phade

Pay attention to all that crap. You might just be able to open up your mind and understand what is likely happening right in front of your eyes or at least get a new perspective on what is happening. I know that is inconvenient, but don't be so darned eager to drink that DEC kool-aid that you refuse to examine other alternative opinions.

OK, resident deer biologist, lets hear the options

• Like 1

Funny Larry , Phade,

I guess I am not alone in my willingness to inconvenience myself more for a big buck than a doe.

I shoot my share of does. I'm not going make excuses or somehow apologize for passing does at times when I'd shoot a buck early in season at inopportune times. Hard to figure there are hunters out there who wouldn't understand this. But that's fine. hunting is supposed to be fun. Follow the rules and enjoy yourself.

• Like 6

I don't think I owe anyone or DEC an explanation if I decide to pass on a doe and shoot a buck. Any time of the season as long as I am within the regulations. As far as the DEC, they have their head in the sand and have no idea of how many deer are in the area I hunt. With my boots on the ground, I do have an idea. I have no problem shooting does. But given the CHOICE, I will shoot a buck. I will always give another hunter a hearty hand shake, smile, thumbs up and way to go for ANY deer they have killed. Buck,doe small or large. So don't crucify me for being a horn hunter. We need to respect the fact that we all hunt for different reasons.

• Like 4

Options for what??? We don't even know the reason why the DEC is doing what it's doing... they haven't discussed it, explained it, or even given a hint why a doe only season is necessary during those particular parts of the deer season... if and when they do I'm sure there will be many hunters with alternative options.

• Like 1

Steve863,

Who are you kidding? "Skinned, quartered, and iced?"

You forgot about giving the deer ample time to expire, tracking blood in the dark, gutting it, and dragging it. Usually all by myself.

And thanks for twisting my words. You literally twisted my words to mean almost the opposite of what I meant. That takes skill. Ever run for office?

Some guys make it seem so easy. Some times it is. Some of us hunt some pretty hilly steep areas or thick spots without quads. Some have long drives home. Some live in apartments or don't have a barn or garage. The easy part is pulling the trigger. The real work always starts after. Edited by Belo

How about a 2 week January doe only season using any weapon? Who does that hurt?

and it would actually eliminate more than one deer, which I have absolutely no problem with because we do it on Long Island.................but, put your seatbelt on because the comments about killing future bucks should start coming pretty fast.

Funny Larry , Phade,

I guess I am not alone in my willingness to inconvenience myself more for a big buck than a doe.

I shoot my share of does. I'm not going make excuses or somehow apologize for passing does at times when I'd shoot a buck early in season at inopportune times. Hard to figure there are hunters out there who wouldn't understand this. But that's fine. hunting is supposed to be fun. Follow the rules and enjoy yourself.

I think more hunters do this than not. I usually have a plan when I go out. Either I'm buck only hunting, or I'm open to take a doe. All dependent on everything everyone else said.

I think we've beat around the bush long enough with this one.

The FACT of the matter is this....

"Gun hunters"..., (also read as bowhunters with a gun in their hands.., strictly gun hunters..., and gun hunters that may also be ML/x-bow hunters) are more excited to pull the trigger on a nice meaty doe than most "die-hard bow hunters" and there's no denying that.

Bow hunting has been allowed in the regular firearms season as long as I can remember, but the opposite only came to be with the recent youth seasons allowing youth to hunt with guns during early archery.

Gun hunters (and this is not a dig against any group looking at the numbers) are more likely to dump a doe and I'm sure many are chomping at the bit seeing the light at the end of the tunnel for a shot to hunt the early season they've been excluded from to this point.

The more I think about this change in regulations, I don't believe it's such a bad idea.

There have been many changes to the "special seasons" over the years and eventually we all learned to roll with them or drop out.

They want a lot of dead deer and that's what they'll get by introducing the ML into archery. Last season my area got SHUT DOWN due to weather by the end of the first week of regular season. I'm sure many gun hunters ate their tags last fall and winter in this area because of it.

ML's in archery would generate interest and sales in tags from the average "regular season hunter" and it would put the hurtin' the DEC is looking for on the herd no matter how the weather pans out as winter progresses and can put an end to "gun season" at any time for a lot of folks and regions.

I'll admit, if 2 weeks of early season doe only ever comes around to my dmu, I'd enjoy the extended range the ML offers and obviously higher success rates from increased accuracy and overall effectiveness at the end of the day.

We all dream of that monster B&C buck!

"A chilly morning. You are in your prime spot and hopeful. Wind is perfect. Around 8:30, the biggest buck you have ever seen just materializes ( as they like to do ) at 20 yards. Your heart rate doubles as you watch for an opening to make your draw. There it is! You draw and set that pin in the perfect spot! After 30 seconds ( feels like 2 hours ) you have the perfect shot! RELEASE! You hear that mild 'thud' and know after seeing where your arrow hit you made a great shot. You try to listen over the sound of your heart for that buck to stop crashing through the woods! The woods become silent very quick. You wait and your mind races with visions of walking up in that buck dead after running only about 50 yards. You climb down and start tracking. Sure enough, about 35 yards there he is! SCORE! You get your measurement and bingo, you just made the books!"

I don't care if you hunt with a bow only, bow and gun season, or w/e! That's the dream! We all have it. I do. How many honestly don't have that dream? Truth is, yes, I think at least 90% want that trophy.

The DEC mucked up! Deal with it!

Some of the talk on this thread is just insane! I hope most of it just that, talk from heated minds and just venting. Here's something maybe you don't realize. If you get all frikin' crazy and don't follow the laws, what point are you really proving? All you will succeed in doing is making the 'man' pissed off and possibly hurt the whole deer hunting community.

Do what ever the hell you want! Just remember, you are not the only hunter in NYS! So doing stupid things will effect more then just you.

Try this!

To write a powerful and effective petition summary:
Tell people in the first paragraph (2-3 sentences) why they should sign.
Keep your petition short (150-200 words), and include bulleted lists or paragraph breaks to make it easier on the eyes.
Be yourself and explain why you are passionate!

I already have. Try to pay attention and keep up. Repeating one more time for those that are having trouble understanding, the real options for cutting deer populations lie in the more efficient gun season, if the population cuts really are the goal. Pretty simple concept actually.

• Like 1

Ok so don't answer the question and play the hate card

And by the way I said I don't like the plan and it won't work. But that's irrelevant to the question but go ahead babble away

You want us to read minds and establish motives. We do not have enough information to establish the motives behind why they chose to put the deer population management on only the backs of the bowhunters and muzzleloaders. So there is no "yes" or "no" answer. I'm not sure why that is such a hard concept for you to understand. You may not like that answer, because it doesn't validate your assumptions, but really that is the answer. No hate card, just my opinion. So try to control yourself when I offer the opinion that you asked for.

• Like 1

Wooly,

Aren't you assuming that gun in the beginning of what was archery season would be either or and not  just doe?  I thought the, point was it were to be doe only and in these "overran" WMU's.  Aren't some of you jumping the gun on that being across the state... Those same guys might not be giddy about shooting a doe in the early season with gun if they think:

1. this may screw up my buck hunting in regular season(nocturnal)

2. I'm sweating _alls out here, what am I going to do with this damn doe( guys not use to the warm weather when they have usually hunted cold weather) though we have had some warm gun seasons. As I recall the meat pole was pretty light at camp when that happens and the gin cards were out in play.

Just a thought....

there's plenty of State's that have deer season when the temperature is way up there.........I guess all their animals rot before they can be processed.

I'm on a predominately southern forum... those guys are set up for it, lets not be naive here they have bigger and better processors and prices...these guys do not even gut their deer they take them to the processors and it's all done right there. When I was down in Georgia they were selling tractor/tailor/plot packages  along the roads like re have fruit and veggie stands here in the summer...they were also selling walk-ins. I couldn't help but think us northern hunters just playing at it...down there it's just life....all these years and the fact most hunters have gone suburban. We still have to scramble to find a decent processor that won't have our deer lying in a pile with umpteen others in 60 degree weather for a day. It's take them in and hope you get back what you actually handled and shot...

• Like 1

Wooly,

Aren't you assuming that gun in the beginning of what was archery season would be either or and not  just doe? 

I was actually still implying doe only for early ML and I think would get a lot of participation.

Many here (not in this thread) say we need shorter gun season to benefit the bucks.

DEC would probably do that as well once they found a way to kill all their does sooner with an earlier start for gunners in archery season.

. We still have to scramble to find a decent processor that won't have our deer lying in a pile with umpteen others in 60 degree weather for a day. It's take them in and hope you get back what you actually handled and shot...

Growie --- You mean like this ?

post-132-0-71907500-1439382952_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Doc,

There is most definitely a yes or no answer to my question.

And if assumptions can't be made you sure do complain a lot about stuff you don't know

Doc,

I'll take back that yes and no, I can see that if you can't actually make the assumption there is no way to know if its right or wrong.

But without any assumptions is then everyone one here just bitching for no reason?

Some guys make it seem so easy. Some times it is. Some of us hunt some pretty hilly steep areas or thick spots without quads. Some have long drives home. Some live in apartments or don't have a barn or garage. The easy part is pulling the trigger. The real work always starts after.

All it takes is a little practice. I have skinned and deboned with the deer laying right on the ground and never taken it out of the woods. Sure all the nice gadgets make is easier but it isn't brain surgery we are talking about here.

All it takes is a little practice. I have skinned and deboned with the deer laying right on the ground and never taken it out of the woods. Sure all the nice gadgets make is easier but it isn't brain surgery we are talking about here.

You don't eat the brain?  What a waste.

• Like 1

Doc,

I'll take back that yes and no, I can see that if you can't actually make the assumption there is no way to know if its right or wrong.

But without any assumptions is then everyone one here just bitching for no reason?

I don't think anyone can know the motivation for sure. We can see the resulting regulation change. I can also put a pretty good argument together why this change will not yield the results they want, especially to the numbers they elude to. They make it sound like there is sever habitat destruction and a major over population. Let's take them at their word since they are the professionals. But that leads into a host of questions that they made no attempt to answer and they should have seen them coming.

If the population is so out of control that there is a "critical need" to reduce it, why use the least productive weapon. Lets not get into a percentage conversation, they need numbers reduced and reduced in a big way. CRITICAL. right? Find a way to use guns and I don't mean ML's. Just get them removed and be over with it. Return to normal seasons when it is reduced to appropriate levels.

Another question ---four areas with this "Critical need" are 8H, 8F, 8G and 8N. And since they need the take of doe to go up so much they did the most logical thing, besides the use of the least effective weapon to shoulder the increase. They reduced the number of available permits. 8H from 32,600 to 27,200; 8F from 53,700 to 39,100; 8G from 55,300 to 44,900 and 8N from 29,200 to 28,500.

I guess the professionals have it well under control and the above are not assumptions.

• Like 1