Get your vaseline ready NY! Its here...

phade

We will definitely have to see how this plays out. I am excited by the change and applaud the DEC for getting it thru. The sharp reduction in early bow-hunting pressure will be a God-send for us crossbow hunters in these "infested" zones where the deer have enough cover to go nocturnal soon after they sense some pressure. I will be sure and post back, how many DMP's I am able to fill this fall with my $250 crossbow. Maybe I will even get to post a few more photos of "heart" shots.

They are not giving us any more time but this will greatly multiply the quality of the little bit we do get before gun season opens. We had the peak of the rut last year, now we have it without all that extra human scent in the woods. I would settle for a small compromise with the elitist bowhunters who are still pushing hard to keep the crossbow out. Give us full inclusion, in these zones only, in exchange for a return of legal buck harvest throughout.

holy mother of mary. Did I just read that? Not one bowhunter has made any disparaging remarks in this thread about other hunters. In fact, we agreed we're all gun hunters too. Now you actually put up a wall against other hunters?

pitiful.

• Like 2

Seems strange that you think a crossbow is more effective than a compound. The only thing a crossbow has over a compound is the ability to keep it cocked. A crossbow is not faster, does not put out as much kinetic energy, they're not more accurate, they're heavier and try pulling off a follow up shot within 30 seconds; not likely gonna happen.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

this horse has certainly been beaten to death. But you're wrong. Sure, a compound can be as accurate, but I need to train and spend time to become proficient. I cant shoot bullls with my scope and bipod crossbow out the box. Please also dont underestimate "keeping it cocked". We've all lost deer on the draw.

I may be off my rocker, but I sure am eating good thanks to all the help JC gave me in filling the freezer last fall. How did you all do by the way? Post some pic's if you have them. I would be more interested in pictures of backstraps and roasts than antlers however. While I was unable to fill any of my own DMP's last year, I limited on bucks plus received a couple "gift" ones. I was a little disappointed not to get a crack at a doe last fall. Hopefully that will change this year now that the DEC has stacked the deck a little in my favor. A little "doe-meat" will be nice for a change.

Sorry to hear about your issue with the booze and I was not referencing you about the wild party last night. I kept it under control myself at the wedding we attended last night, but my wife was nursing a major hangover all day today - hence the missed church. It is good to hear that you were helped by Him in your recovery. I am not sure why you find it so hard to believe He helps fill my freezer. My rifle season buck appeared less than a minute after I asked Him if I could only "see" a buck. No one will ever convince me again that all the practice and reading in the world will help me get a deer more than He can. Is there any book that can help you off the booze more than the Bible?

Edited by wolc123

I may be off my rocker, but I sure am eating good thanks to all the help JC gave me in filling the freezer last fall. How did you all do by the way? Post some pic's if you have them. I would be more interested in pictures of backstraps and roasts than antlers however. While I was unable to fill any of my own DMP's last year, I limited on bucks plus received a couple "gift" ones. I was a little disappointed not to get a crack at a doe last fall. Hopefully that will change this year now that the DEC has stacked the deck a little in my favor. A little "doe-meat" will be nice for a change.

Sorry to hear about your issue with the booze and I was not referencing you about the wild party last night. I kept it under control myself at the wedding we attended last night, but my wife was nursing a major hangover all day today - hence the missed church. It is good to hear that you were helped by Him in your recovery. I am not sure why you find it so hard to believe He helps fill my freezer. My rifle season buck appeared less than a minute after I asked Him if I could only "see" a buck. No one will ever convince me again that all the practice and reading in the world will help me get a deer more than He can. Is there any book that can help you off the booze more than the Bible?

lol. So you didn't fill any doe tags? But you don't want to see any antlered pics? Can we see that picture of you holding the heart again? I don't think I've seen it quite enough times yet.

My freezer was full btw. A mature 9 point and 2 doe. I have no doubt the lord has helped guide me on my path in life. But I don't just say a prayer and walk in the woods and magically stuff happens either.

so this is what I've learned for the upcoming season after 38 pages of this...........add Vaseline and The Bible to the list of things to carry while hunting.

Just don't shoot a buck until Oct. 16 in one of the infected areas, lol. Vaseline won't fix it.

• Like 1

For me it’s about getting this thread up to 50 pages of nonsense. It’s a done deal get over it. that’s way it is get over it. Funny part is a lot of these guys don’t even hunt any of these wmu’s. for those who do hunt in these wmu’s if you don’t like the rule change you can, not hunt or move. :crying: 

For me it’s about getting this thread up to 50 pages of nonsense. It’s a done deal get over it. that’s way it is get over it. Funny part is a lot of these guys don’t even hunt any of these wmu’s. for those who do hunt in these wmu’s if you don’t like the rule change you can, not hunt or move. :crying: 

No, I'll just hunt in an adjacent WMU for the first two weeks. Save my best stand sets for when I can take a buck. I know many that will be doing the same, which WILL have the opposite result the DEC is looking for. (or what they publicly say they are looking for)

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 3

No, I'll just hunt in an adjacent WMU for the first two weeks. Save my best stand sets for when I can take a buck. I know many that will be doing the same, which WILL have the opposite result the DEC is looking for. (or what they publicly say they are looking for)

same here. And most years I do kill a doe in the first two weeks so one less doe will be taken in 9F
  • Like 1

Larry,

I am over it...in fact I was over it months before they publicly announced it...I set up my new huntng plans at the first rumor of this....That does not mean I will let them off the hook by not voicing my opinion on a fools management plan....Every single chance I get!

same here. And most years I do kill a doe in the first two weeks so one less doe will be taken in 9F

I apply for my first doe permits down at my hunting camp that isn't in the effected areas. I always get one and many times two.  I then apply for the late draw in 8H because they are always available. My camp is never available in the late draw so that is why I go in that order. Problem with the late draw permits that are always available for 8H and many of the areas in this change, is they are NOT AVAILABLE UNTIL NOVERMBER 1ST!!!.   It makes it hard to fill them from October 1st through 15th when you don't have them until November. My either sex is usually filled up in the NZ with ML. and unless a buddy signs one over to me in 8H I have to wait until November to shoot a doe in this area.

actually seems most of us do hunt those areas. It's like saying the safe act is a done deal. Just take it. Let the government just get away with stuff because it's easy is not the correct route.

• Like 4

Funny part is a lot of these guys don’t even hunt any of these wmu’s.

To me that is GOOD news. I'm getting tired of people only worrying about what happens in their own back yard or issues that only affect them personally. It is time that we put an end to this "divide and conquer" strategy that the DEC has initiated. We don't seem to understand that we are all hunters that should be concerned about any faction of the hunting community that is being screwed over by the DEC, whether you happen to be currently involved or not. I for one appreciate the concern of those that are not involved ...... yet. It shows that the hunting community still has some semblance of mutual concern and still has the ability to become somewhat unified.

Also, anyone who believes that something about the deer population in some areas has to be done and then allows the DEC to enter a stupidly conceived plan in an attempt to handle that serious problem should be commenting on how the DEC is bungling their responsibility of properly responding to what they themselves call a critical problem.

And this idea that it should not be discussed or kept as an open issue really irritates the hell out of me. If it is so painful to access this thread and read about the DEC screw-up and opinions on it, I can only suggest that you simply don't.

• Like 7

Maybe we could get a little more detail about how the DEC plans to work the crossbow into this deal. Someone posted in the crossbow section that there will be full inclusion in 2016. Anyone hear more on that rumor? That would certainly do more to keep the deer populations under control in theses zones than any of the other ideas that have been thrown out there.

Maybe we could get a little more detail about how the DEC plans to work the crossbow into this deal. Someone posted in the crossbow section that there will be full inclusion in 2016. Anyone hear more on that rumor? That would certainly do more to keep the deer populations under control in theses zones than any of the other ideas that have been thrown out there.

How is it that the crossbow is going to make such a difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A crossbow is more effective at killing does for many reasons. The biggest one is that it does not need to be drawn with the deer in close, like a conventional bow. That is no big deal when killing lone bucks, where all one needs to do is wait for one set of eyes to get behind a tree before drawing the bow. It is a lot more difficult making the draw with multiple sets of eyes in close. It is very rare, in these infested zones which are under the new, no-bucks for two weeks regs, to find does moving around by themselves.

A sharp reduction in bow-hunting pressure during those two weeks, as looks to be the consensus of those who have posted here anyhow, will mean a more favorable environment for killing does when the crossbow gets legal in the last two weeks. Anyone with 5 or so years of bow-hunting experience realizes how hunting pressure makes deer go elsewhere. It sounds like some of the newbies have not connected the dots there yet, but they will learn soon enough.

Other reasons for the crossbow's greater effectiveness relate to the greater accuracy it typically achieves with far less practice time. I am not saying regular bows are not effective at killing deer. I have cleanly harvested more bucks than I can remember with 3 of them back when I was younger. I even managed to get a nice doe one time with one. I never struggled with the bucks with the bow, until family responsibilities started cutting into my practice time.

I will admit that the last buck I killed with my bow about 5 years ago, took a little of that special help that many call luck, but that I know comes from elsewhere. The hefty young 5-point must have caught a glimpse of my draw as he came thru the hedgerow my stand was on. He paused about 20 yards out, quartering away, offering what looked like a perfect shot. When I released my arrow, he reared back and down, taking the mechanical broad-head right thru the jugular. I heard him flop down just out of sight.

That errant, but successful shot convinced me to lay down that bow and stick to my guns. My next shot at a deer during archery season was the 6-point last fall that took the crossbow bolt thru the heart. Again, it was certainly not due to my own skill that he ended up in the freezer, but not "luck" either. I underestimated the range by about 10 yards. Big "unethical" mistake maybe but he sure tasted good. Oddly enough, the big, old rifle season buck I took later up in the Adirondacks is even tastier, probably because I aged the meat a little longer prior to processing. My girls couldn't stop eating it, they liked it so much.

A high school girl with an hour's practice time under her belt, more likely than not, will be more accurate with her crossbow than a skilled archer with a compound who has practiced for a half hour a day for 6 months. Most of that is due to the fact that the crossbow is usually fired from a rest with telescopic sights, with no or little effort required to hold at full draw, or to make the draw. There is a lot more hunters with a spare hour to practice than there is with six months. Do the math.

The last advantage to the crossbow, which makes it better than even a gun, is that it is almost as silent as a conventional bow. Gunshots make the deer go nocturnal in these infested zones, rich in heavy cover, even faster than all the human scent starting to permeate the woods. These are the reasons the crossbow is THE answer for getting the deer population under control in these zones.

Edited by wolc123

How is it that the crossbow is going to make such a difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a wild guess, but maybe he's implying that the orange army will take to the woods with this amazing weapon(crossbow) that can be mastered in a single afternoon and produce heartshots time after time.

The deer won't just up and leave good habitat and food source, but will shift movement patterns and/or go nocturnal. Hunting pressure alone can cause this and simply sitting in a tree doesn't guarantee you will see deer even in these" infested areas". While I'm stalking rainy day bucks in their beds at noon with my 3.2lb. compound , the crossbowists will be shivering in their stands and trying to muster the stamina to lug that 9-10lb. behemoth of a weapon around????