Does only for the first 2 weeks. Thoughts?

NonTypical

It's not as easy to donate on the Island as you think, every time I tried I was told that " we're not taking anymore this season", just to hear later that the owner was only taking deer from friends. I took several doe last season and got a lot of snickering and eye rolls from a lot of hunters, even got called a game hog buy a couple who "won't bother killing a doe". Antlers are king for many hunters on LI. I hunt a private piece that is hunted buy another Hunter and is over run with doe, and he got mad at me for "killing everything that walks". In the end I am a DEER hunter and am happy taking a buck or a doe.

• Like 1

The NYSDEC has been issuing unlimited antlerless tags in 1C for 10+ years.They were telling hunters something.Problem is nobody was listening.Toooo many antlerless deer get a pass from hunters blinded by antlers.#1 reason everyone is pissed is because they lose their chance at an early season Buck.

Herd Management before Trophy Management................don't blame the DEC.Their tools failed......not them.

Well Vinny it is obvious from what I read things down your way are handle differently than here in 8N.. because the DEC does not just hand out permits when asked for here...Also We(many hunters) hunt different units ...So the DEC plan FAILS when they expect hunters in heavy areas like 8N and 8H to shoot a bunch of doe and not give us the tags to do it.

Now ie, I hunt home 8N and camp 8X,,,that is my primary draw .... Now that leaves me 1 tag for the heavy area and 1 tag for the more difficult draw area of 8X ( never a second draw there) until NOV 1..... on that date I can draw 2 more tags for 8N...do you see that date? I ask because this seems to be over looked...1 tag and 1 tag only, to shoot all their many doe until NOV1...This is some thing I do anyways...Though not this year, no 8N tags for me this year.  I will not be black mailed into doing something they won't give me the tags to do. They failed in their planning  not I and many others ..So yes they are to blame! No I refuse to support a bad plan.

• Like 1

The real point is for years Hunters in 1C have been and will continue to pass antlerless deer whether in October or January.

Everyone is quick to place blame on the DEC.That's the easy thing to do.Hunters are ultimately responsible to manage and maintain populations.The DEC sets the stage.Hunters are not always willing to perform.All one needs to do is read posts on various websites and social media pages to see the general consensus is that does are not specifically targeted for various reasons......too warm......too much hassle.......lessens the chances of seeing a buck.....the DEC is a bunch of morons.........etc. None of which help with population control.Spin it any way you want.Bowhunters in 1C need to take responsibility and kill more antlerless deer.

It's easy.......kill,donate, get another tag.They hand out tags like tickets at a carnival.

I just did some research on deer take numbers for Long Island for the last several years. So basically what you're saying is that even though we shot almost 500 more deer on DMP's and totaled over 600 more for the year, making it the highest ever, we still didn't do our job? Granted, more do need to be taken out of certain residential areas. Opening more land will help reduce the numbers further. Even the wildlife biologist for Long Island agrees. So I don't think we are being punished, like you implied. I just think that DEC is making some very bad decisions as far as herd management is concerned and they are going about it the wrong way. It's not the first time they have had their head up there own ass. They can't even manage many saltwater fish species. Striped Bass stocks are collapsing and winter flounder almost non existent. Should I keep going... Edited by NonTypical

It's been mentioned a few times here and in the 30 page thread that Long Island hunters are refusing to shoot does. Looking at the published 2014 take I see that for every buck killed there was about 3 does killed. To me that does not sound like a group of hunters who don't shoot does. Going one step further, if you compare that ratio 1:3 to other areas of the state that have high deer population you'll see that it's Better than many/most other areas.

This could be a function of the limitless doe tags handed out. Or not. No way to tell. Regardless, My feeling, as a hunter, is that I don't have a desire to kill does day in and day out. Sure I like taking the does that me and he family eat, but going out to kill a pile of deer just to give them away is not something I want to do. And I'm not going to feel bad or apologize for it. At the end of the day, if hunters on the island simply can not kill enough deer to make the DEC happy, it doesn't mean we failed. We never signed up to be killers, we are hunters.

Just as an afterthought, a suffering hunter recruitment for the past 20 yrs is one thing that is at least partially within our control, that could have been a silver bullet.

To say that hunters on the island haven't done their job is ridiculous. If you hunt here you know that the smart deer stay in tiny residential woodlots were you can't legally hunt/get permission or in small town and county parks where no hunting is allowed. And if there not in those areas their being pressured...hard. Hikers, Bikers, joggers, atvs, trespassers, hipsters, and hunters. The most productive thing that could be done at this point is to set up donation trucks in the Eastern five towns. I could shoot a doe almost every hunt but with work and every day living who has time to butcher two or three deer a week? And then what am I doing with the meat? I already give away two-three deer to people a year and then start donating to butcher program but that's so far out of my way. Saving 2 or 3 deer for me and mine.

Pretty hard to control a herd that is most times not hunt able. Where I hunt bucks are majorly nocturnal from so much pressure so I hardly get a buck anyway.

The point is that if you have a serious population problem, you don't try to solve it using the least effective season available. A couple of doe days during gun season would do a whole lot more than the two weeks of antlerless bow season. To choose the lesser efficient season, raises huge questions about the seriousness of the population problem, or the credibility of what is truly the goal.

X2 , They should do it in the cooler part of the season, early archery season is too warm by me , unless you cut the deer up within a few hours or take it to be cut up and hope they cut it up soon. Plus there are many of us that do not have a chest freezer and do not intend on buying one just to put a cut up deer in.

Maby they just want you too kill them and take them to the local dump as they do in many townships on L.I.

Also during the beginning of gun season there are more hunters out in the woods then in archery season in the Catskills,Western and Northern parts of the state.  

• 2 weeks later...

Who makes you get waivers from any other land owner than those who's land your hunting?  I hunt some private lands in Suffolk and I only need permission from the land owner who's property you are hunting.  If I have to get a deer off another person's land I have to get permission.  But that is no different than anywhere else.

By law you are suppose to have written permission from every dwelling within 150 ft of your tree stand.  In many residential area's this includes more than just the owner that lets you hunt it can include 1-5 houses depending on where you are located.

By law you are suppose to have written permission from every dwelling within 150 ft of your tree stand.  In many residential area's this includes more than just the owner that lets you hunt it can include 1-5 houses depending on where you are located.

Question: How far from a building do I have to be to discharge my firearm?

Answer: You cannot discharge a firearm within 500 feet, crossbow within 250 feet or longbow within 150 feet of any school, playground, occupied factory or church, dwelling, farm building, or structure unless you own it, lease it, are an immediate member of the family, an employee, or have the owner's consent. This does not apply to the discharge of a shotgun over water when hunting migratory game birds and no dwelling, public structure, livestock, or person is in the line of fire.

...don't think it requires "written permission", but getting things in writing is always the smarter way to go.

Question: How far from a building do I have to be to discharge my firearm?

Answer: You cannot discharge a firearm within 500 feet, crossbow within 250 feet or longbow within 150 feet of any school, playground, occupied factory or church, dwelling, farm building, or structure unless you own it, lease it, are an immediate member of the family, an employee, or have the owner's consent. This does not apply to the discharge of a shotgun over water when hunting migratory game birds and no dwelling, public structure, livestock, or person is in the line of fire.

...don't think it requires "written permission", but getting things in writing is always the smarter way to go.

If I was in that populated of an area I would have it in writing also.

When the DEC officer comes to the location with his rangefinder he will check EVERY house, shed and or dwelling.  If you do not have written permission you will get a ticket.

There still is a burden of proof of guilt. I would love to see a ticket given to me for hunting within 150' of a buddy's barn and get that ticket. That might just be fun to toy around with.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

Seems some of you guys find it hard to donate antlerless deer on LI.

Where are you trying to donate them?Every town I hunt has a simple procedure in place to drop off a legally harvested, tagged deer

At the town(s) locations where I have donated the employee at the facility typically has a stack of DMP 6 inches high.Pretty simple procedure to get a replacement tag.

Email the wildlife biologist a picture of a filled tag and a antlerless head and a replacement tag goes in the mail to you that day.

I know multiple hunters who refuse to waste their time killing antlerless deer.

Most guys dont want to remove antlerless deer from their spots so bucks will come through there in November searching for Doe.

If you think that there are any parcels on Long Island that are NOT being hunted due to size,proximity to houses,schools,private,closed to hunting public,etc. you have not spent much time walking the woodlots of LI..........if there is woods that hold deer.....its being hunted.......and not for antlerless deer.......so I stick to my previous comments because I'm not speaking out of my ass.

Edited by Vinny Tagalucci

Lots of people would be surprised if they knew where some of the giants -that everyone and their mother in the state wants a piece of- that have been shot in the last few years around here were really killed.

The thirst for big bucks is what drives most that hunt here.......not antlerless deer.You can believe whatever you want,whatever you read or whatever statistics and numbers you want.......the truth is not enough antlerless deer are being killed.

There still is a burden of proof of guilt. I would love to see a ticket given to me for hunting within 150' of a buddy's barn and get that ticket. That might just be fun to toy around with.

yup, how can they prove you didn't have consent?.......they would have to subpoena all the landowners and have them confirm you didn't have their permission....much along the lines that if you owned the land you would have to carry proof of same, I don't see it happening.

Edited by jjb4900

When the DEC officer comes to the location with his rangefinder he will check EVERY house, shed and or dwelling. If you do not have written permission you will get a ticket.

This is not entirely true and certainly does not apply to all the officers in region 1.

While standing in the office of a village on LI with a village employee-who manages the deer issues,a DEC officer,a secretary and the Mayor of the village in his office steps away, I was told in no uncertain terms that if I was to hunt certain parcels and I happened to be within 150' of the neighbors,as long as we were remaining well concealed and were hunting without our heads up our asses,we would not be asked to leave the area,ticketed,hassled,etc.

The main reason being-the chances of EVERYONE in the vicinity giving the OK to hunt within 150' of their home-slim to none and everyone in the room knew that deer need to be removed.

Was the DEC officer wrong in suggesting this? Maybe but unless you are COMPLETELY in tune with what is really going on..it's hard to understand.

They would only investigate a complaint that you are infringing within the 150' rule and have you leave. Maybe ticket you if you are in violation. The same would apply on public lands that come close to this setback. Someone wants to knock on every door of adjoining parcels more power to you. The villages I hunt in only require written permission from the hosting land owner. The 150' setback is a burden on the hunter and they are probably the most restrictive villages in the county.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by eagle rider

So we are obviously in a warmer than usual trend...Oct 1 we can usually count on a few low 70's mostly mid 60's with 50's at night....The trend I'm seeing is much higher than that... How many of the," yep I'll be out shooting doe that first to weeks" guys will be that enthusiastic when the temps are well above average...as the trend has been for a few years now....Yes I do remember the fluke snow a few years back..but on average...

• 2 weeks later...

It's been mentioned a few times here and in the 30 page thread that Long Island hunters are refusing to shoot does. Looking at the published 2014 take I see that for every buck killed there was about 3 does killed. To me that does not sound like a group of hunters who don't shoot does. Going one step further, if you compare that ratio 1:3 to other areas of the state that have high deer population you'll see that it's Better than many/most other areas.

This could be a function of the limitless doe tags handed out. Or not. No way to tell. Regardless, My feeling, as a hunter, is that I don't have a desire to kill does day in and day out. Sure I like taking the does that me and he family eat, but going out to kill a pile of deer just to give them away is not something I want to do. And I'm not going to feel bad or apologize for it. At the end of the day, if hunters on the island simply can not kill enough deer to make the DEC happy, it doesn't mean we failed. We never signed up to be killers, we are hunters.

Just as an afterthought, a suffering hunter recruitment for the past 20 yrs is one thing that is at least partially within our control, that could have been a silver bullet.

I could not agree more or have said it better myself.  Shooting deer so they get placed into a dumpster is not what I envisioned when I signed up for deer hunting.  Nor was I aware that my duty as a hunter was to eliminate as many doe as I can find.

The other issue I have is the estimated population numbers!  I just feel that even if we shot 4000 deer the DEC would say we failed.  And then they can keep getting funds to TRY snipers, food stations with bug spray, doe birth control etc.  The word agenda keeps flashing in my mind especially when we are blind sided like this year.  Then the DEC can say see we gave the bow hunters a chance and they failed! 

The 150ft rule is checked by what ever officer is patrolling.  Maybe some might let the 150ft rule slide but I know for a fact one individual asked to see permission from EVERY dwelling within 150ft and he check every dwelling and every permission slip!  The burden of proof is on you, you are guilty until you prove otherwise!  Does anyone think the judge will side with you vs the ECO?  I hope to never find out as one stand is in this situation.

Shooting a deer so it gets placed in a dump is not how I envisioned hunting when I signed up.  Many consider them rats so I guess many think this is OK.  Not me. 

I have a chance to hunt one area that supposedly has too many deer, I will do my part IF I GET ACCESS!  For most hunters this is the issue.  Want to help cull the population have the towns get a web site for hunters to sign up and then match them with land owners who want deer removed and don't restrict residents only unless you really do not want hunters and just want to further the agenda.  

Shooting a deer so it gets placed in a dump is not how I envisioned hunting when I signed up.  Many consider them rats so I guess many think this is OK.  Not me. 

yeah, that's no better than nuisance permits....I personally won't shoot extra deer with the intention of just dumping it off at a donation center or anywhere else for that matter. I only do so if I can use it or I have a specific person who wants it for personal use. 

• Like 1

I am not aware of any hunters shooting deer and throwing them away. Hope that isn't happening much or at all. I am more apt to believe that it may happen with nuisance permit killed deer.

In terms of public access, my take is that it seems to be improving. dec and county have made strides in recent years. Which is a blessing. And much of this land has pretty good deer hunting. The downside is that since its public you can't control what other guys do there. Like bust into all the thickets scouting and hanging stands a week before the season and all through the season. Yay!

The 150 foot rule puts hunters too close to houses in my opinion. But it also has definitely helped hunters access more land. Which is nice. Personally,, I refuse to put a tree stand that close to a house. But it's nice to be able to set up say 300 feet as opposed to 500. I'm not sure I understand this business about getting all kinds of permission. As long as you stay 150 feet from any building, you are good. Of course if you shoot a deer and you need to track it within 150 of a building you need permission. But it's always been that way, regardless of set back distance.

just to be clear, if hunters hunting on a nuisance permit are tossing deer and wasting the meat, they should lose all hunting privileges. There is no excuse for it.

but, unfortunately it's allowed and legal in some if not most areas.

Edited by jjb4900