Does only for the first 2 weeks. Thoughts?

NonTypical

I just got my license the other day. There was no mention of the new regs regarding the no buck rule anywhere in the syllabus, nor any other notice of change. I even asked the guy at the desk if he knew anything about it. He didn't have a clue. I have to wonder how many bow hunters actually know about these new regs.

So we are obviously in a warmer than usual trend...Oct 1 we can usually count on a few low 70's mostly mid 60's with 50's at night....The trend I'm seeing is much higher than that... How many of the," yep I'll be out shooting doe that first to weeks" guys will be that enthusiastic when the temps are well above average...as the trend has been for a few years now....Yes I do remember the fluke snow a few years back..but on average...

I'm not going to get serious until the temps drop, It's a long season. I hate being rushed to process a deer. Hot weather is for spring turkey hunting.

Its a shame that it's come to the point that we need to take out so many does but part of that is due to the antler seekers that want nothing but a mount, many will even hate to admit they don't like eating deer, me personally I rather eat deer than beef but that's just me, those who have the biggest gripe with the new regulation are the ones who are part of the problem don't shoot anything unless it's a giant and if you don't eat venison then I understand but my last meal I wouldn't request a 6.5yr old 12pt buck, it would be a 1.5 yr old doe

So it's fill the freezer first and focus on a giant around Halloween

Edited by Danny
  • Like 1

those who have the biggest gripe with the new regulation are the ones who are part of the problem don't shoot anything unless it's a giant

This is my being polite...Thats a damn big net you threw out there with that statement. You certainly need to remember the old saying about  when one ASSumes.

I have a giant gripe about this situation ...and I'm no trophy hunter and have never had a head nor a rack mounted ...Thats with having got my share of good ones....I know there are a lot of hunters out there just like me...always have taken more doe than buck but will be damned if the DEC will blk mail me into doing something I have ALWAYS done .Putting out an ineffective back door plan is not acceptable.

• Like 2

No the proof is on you, if you do not have the proper information you will get a ticket and be expected to bring the proper information to court.  It has to be written consent.  No just "yea go ahead and hunt".  The burden is not on the officer to prove you did not have permission it is on you to prove YOU DID have permission. 

yup, how can they prove you didn't have consent?.......they would have to subpoena all the landowners and have them confirm you didn't have their permission....much along the lines that if you owned the land you would have to carry proof of same, I don't see it happening.

This is my being polite...Thats a damn big net you threw out there with that statement. You certainly need to remember the old saying about when one ASSumes.

I have a giant gripe about this situation ...and I'm no trophy hunter and have never had a head nor a rack mounted ...Thats with having got my share of good ones....I know there are a lot of hunters out there just like me...always have taken more doe than buck but will be damned if the DEC will blk mail me into doing something I have ALWAYS done .Putting out an ineffective back door plan is not acceptable.

It's a regulated species and it's the job of the DEC to set the rules do you feel blackmailed on antler restrictions too? They new rules have been put in place to benefit the herd not YOU never been about YOU so get over it, any clue how many deer were yard ed up last year on long Island fawns and does starved and frozen solid? Do you feel blackmailed that you can't hunt in september?

They extended the season by a month last year do you feel blackmailed all they are asking is your cooperation didn't realize that was so hard to conform too

• Like 1

The blackmail part is if bow hunters don't up their doe kills then a muzzle loader season will be put in with bow season . That threat is not there with AR's ,Sept hunts or any of the other things you mentioned.

Almost all bow hunters are also gun hunters , as one I'm only going to kill X number of deer if I do it in bow I won't in gun, most I know are like that, the dec knows that .

Last year I killed two doe ,both in gun because I can pick where and the time , I guess it would be better for the herd if I kill them in bow ?

• Like 1

They new rules have been put in place to benefit the herd not YOU never been about YOU so get over it, any clue how many deer were yard ed up last year on long Island fawns and does starved and frozen solid? Do you feel blackmailed that you can't hunt in september?

don't ask irrelavent questions...I have Never been able to hunt in Sept in this unit ...Do I care what died in long Island...from a practical view.... NO.... that is not my area and the DEC didn't put this for ALL areas THEY were the ones that selected them. Do you know where any reliable data came from for this unit or many of the others? No, because there is none. Show me the legitimate #'s they have for 8N.. Your right it's not about ME it's about every single hunter in this and every unit this does not make any sense in.....

So I won't feel bad when doe harvest #'s go down, I won't think twice when all the $$$ from ML tag sales disappear...I will say Don't try to slap the hand on one particular group of hunters for the cluster ---- you made beginning years ago...

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

Some will always find something to complain about, what is the DEC taking away your chance to shoot a buck in the first 2 weeks out of a 4 month season?

The first 2 weeks with the exception of the first day or two of the season are probably the hardest time to try and kill a buck. What I have a problem with is, it's also the least desirable time to kill does because of the warm temps. I can easily hunt most of my spots and stack up the does during the early season, but I won't because of the weather. I keep one deer for myself a year and anything else will be given to friends, relatives, or donated. If I harvest a deer in the early season, then it is a mad scramble to process it before it spoils. Maybe you do, but I don't have a walk in freezer. What I have a problem with is the DEC has a goal that I agree with but they just went about it the wrong way, which will effectively result in the goal not being met. It started 2 years ago when they took away the privelage of shooting a doe then receiving a deer of either sex tag. On LI we can get up to 4 doe tags per person. Everyone that I know would fill those tags over the course of the season and then get either sex tags hoping to shoot another buck at some point, but in reality end up with tag soup at the end of the season. Why in the world would they take away something effective like that unless they had a hidden agenda?

• Like 1

Oh, and by the way, for all those that may be laughing at the misfortune of those bowhunters in the chosen few WMUs, I would like to bring to your attention a little quote that I found in the latest issue of NYON:

"DECs deer managers at this point have not ruled out expanding the antlerless-only regulation to other units if needed."

So while many have contented themselves thinking, "too bad for them, but not my problem", think again. The DEC is taking on the NYS bowhunters and it all maybe coming soon to a neighborhood near you. first the special antlerless only bow season and then followed y the threat of a early muzzleloader season crammed in.

I'm thinking that the few WMUs are simply a test case to see what kind of resistance they get. The end-game is that early muzzleloader season that the DEC has been pushing for since 2004. This is all just their devious path to shoving that into bow season.

• Like 4

those who have the biggest gripe with the new regulation are the ones who are part of the problem don't shoot anything unless it's a giant

Another statement spoken as if it were proven fact, but is most likely a steaming pile of B.S.  You have absolutely no credible idea about the attitudes or hunting goals of those of us who have a problem with these bullying tactics by the DEC against bowhunters.

• Like 3

Oh, and by the way, for all those that may be laughing at the misfortune of those bowhunters in the chosen few WMUs, I would like to bring to your attention a little quote that I found in the latest issue of NYON:

"DECs deer managers at this point have not ruled out expanding the antlerless-only regulation to other units if needed."

So while many have contented themselves thinking, "too bad for them, but not my problem", think again. The DEC is taking on the NYS bowhunters and it all maybe coming soon to a neighborhood near you. first the special antlerless only bow season and then followed y the threat of a early muzzleloader season crammed in.

I'm thinking that the few WMUs are simply a test case to see what kind of resistance they get. The end-game is that early muzzleloader season that the DEC has been pushing for since 2004. This is all just their devious path to shoving that into bow season.

The early muzzleloader season, along with the Columbus day weekend youth hunt,  was part of the 3 part deal and promised us when the bowhunters got their Oct. 1 opener.  

The proponents of the early muzzleloader season and the youth hunt fully supported the bow hunters in their quest for an earlier Oct. 1 opener in this 3 part deal.

After getting the Oct. 1 bow opener, NYS bowhunters had the early muzzleloader season killed pulled from the deal.  They got what they wanted.  

And they fight  yearly against the Youth Hunt.

If we are fortunate enough to get the early Muzzleloader season, it will only be what was promised. 

Edited by Jaeger

The early muzzleloader season, along with the Columbus day weekend youth hunt,  was part of the 3part deal and promised us when the bowhunters got their Oct. 1 opener.  

After getting the Oct. 1 bow opener, NYS bowhunters had the early muzzleloader season killed pulled from the deal.  They got what they wanted.  

And they fight  yearly against the Youth Hunt.

If we are fortunate enough to get the early Muzzleloader season, it will only be what was promised. 

Thank God for the NYS Bowhunters. They are all that bowhunters have to save and maintain bowseasons. There sure are a lot of people out there that are jealously trying to shoehorn their way in.

• Like 1

Thank God for the NYS Bowhunters. They are all that bowhunters have to save and maintain bowseasons. There sure are a lot of people out there that are jealously trying to shoehorn their way in.

NYS bowhunters are not "saving" the bow seasons they are expanding them and at the expense of the rest of the hunting community.

It's not "jealously..shoehorn(ing,sic.) their way in" when it was agreed by NYS bowhunters at that time that it was to happen simultaneously.  

Don't distort the facts or indulge in revisionist history.

The early muzzleloader season and youth hunt were the quid pro quo for bowhunters getting the Oct. 1st bow opener.

• Like 1

Well it does not look good for the first weekend with this weather.  Funny Doc how many people could care less, until it affects them!  It will be interesting to see what the DEC will do that's for sure.  Doubt many will like it.

• Like 1

i have no problem thining the heard  i love deer meat  plus   you cant eat the antlers anyway    there a little hard ...ya they look great on the wall and good for bragging rights  .my moto  if its brown its down    oct 4  me and my buddy  we both took does and even had a good amount of bucks   by us  nice  8 pointer  .but  they did this for a reason     there is just to many deer on long island......

post-6631-0-79183700-1444139129_thumb.jp

Well just pick up my license last night. I guess I won't even be hunting in the my area the first week I can take a buck. Screw them. I am heading up north to muzzleloader hunt. Then probably rifle hunting up North the following weekend. Will probably be October 31st before I climb into a southern zone bow stand this year.

• Like 1

Well it does not look good for the first weekend with this weather.  Funny Doc how many people could care less, until it affects them!  It will be interesting to see what the DEC will do that's for sure.  Doubt many will like it.

I have a funny feeling that when the numbers are in at the end of the year the DEC will be surprised how their little plan didn't work... unless they fudge the numbers that is... nah, they wouldn't do that would they?

• Like 3