50 cal for the hunt

papabear

Yes loose powder is way to go I have a 54 great plains that can make a clover leaf at 75 yards with 85 grains, had an. Old timer have me start with 55 grains and work up a load for accuracy increasing 5 grains till you hear a sharp crack, if you go over that your just throwing unburned powder out the barrel (flames look good but not outside the barrel) I have guns that shoot 70 grains (Kentucky long rifle), 115 (kJohnathan browning mountain rifle) that's so hard to do with pellets.. accuracy is my first concern

• Like 1

54 cal lyman GPR ready to go with roundball and 90grs FFFg.

Slowly but surely, the TVM early Virginia 36" 45 cal flintlock kit is getting done.  Not sure about NY muzzleloading season, but should be ready to go for PA's flintlock season.  Already got the parts of an early PA Moravian styled 41" 54 cal swamped barrel with a blank for a stock.  A lot of chips will fly before I can fire a round of that one.

Twist has to do with it.  When making your own gun, you can have options for twist rate.   I could be wrong about it, but the faster twist rate (lower 1 in number) stabilizes with less velocity.  My guess is you got one of those 1 in 48 T/C hawkens barrels.

friend gave me a Hawkins 45 long gun need lots of cleaning barrel was filled with rust he shot it and never cleaned it took me about one hour to get it all out now i need to get some 45 round balls and head to the range with it 

I'll start low around 40 grands and work up with it i'm starting to feel like Daniel Boon just need some buck skin to ware lol