Computers + Decals System= Garbage

CharlieNY

So today I go to a local town clerk to get my new hunting/fishing licenses. I am the first one there and the only one in line. The clerk puts all my info into the computer and it takes just shy of 1/2 hour before the computer prints out my licenses. This could have been done by hand in less than 5 minutes. A short while later my son calls me and tells me he is going to go and get his new licenses. He calls me later and tells me that he had gone to Walmart and that there was a guy who had been waited on and was still waiting 45 minutes later to get his licenses. So my son tells me he goes to Bass Pro Shops and there is a man and his wife in line who were unable to get their licenses. The clerk tells him that there is a problem but decides to try for him and it comes back that there is no record of him. While there the local Dick's calls Bass Pro to see if they are having problems with their computer as they cannot get licenses through theirs. This system was supposed to make getting licenses faster and more efficient, but like many computer systems, has done just the opposite. Now my son has to return to the issuing agent on another day at another time to get his license (Hopefully). So have any of you had problems with the system and what is your opinion on this system which seems to be doing more damage than good?

• Like 2

So today I go to a local town clerk to get my new hunting/fishing licenses. I am the first one there and the only one in line. The clerk puts all my info into the computer and it takes just shy of 1/2 hour before the computer prints out my licenses. This could have been done by hand in less than 5 minutes. A short while later my son calls me and tells me he is going to go and get his new licenses. He calls me later and tells me that he had gone to Walmart and that there was a guy who had been waited on and was still waiting 45 minutes later to get his licenses. So my son tells me he goes to Bass Pro Shops and there is a man and his wife in line who were unable to get their licenses. The clerk tells him that there is a problem but decides to try for him and it comes back that there is no record of him. While there the local Dick's calls Bass Pro to see if they are having problems with their computer as they cannot get licenses through theirs. This system was supposed to make getting licenses faster and more efficient, but like many computer systems, has done just the opposite. Now my son has to return to the issuing agent on another day at another time to get his license (Hopefully). So have any of you had problems with the system and what is your opinion on this system which seems to be doing more damage than good?

Don't blame computer systems for the shortcomings of the humans behind them. If done properly, computer systems can be unimaginably powerful and efficient.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Don't blame computer systems for the shortcomings of the humans behind them. If done properly, computer systems can be unimaginably powerful and efficient.

Pen and pencil on good old paper ain't bad either, when humans are behind them.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Government Computer Failures are Normal

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2013/11/government_computer_failures_are_normal.html

How could the U.S. Government make such a mess of the roll-out of the website for ObamaCare?  Actually, government computer systems incompetence is normal.  The reaction to www.HealthCare.gov presupposes that our government normally does these things well. 

The Internal Revenue Service made an even worse disaster out of its $8 billion computer upgrade project labeled its "Business Systems Modernization."  First, the IRS wasted $3 billion in the 1990's.  Then the IRS started over in 1999 with a new attempt.  By 2004, eight major projects were over-budget by $200 million, according to the U.S. General Accounting Office and the congressionally chartered IRS Oversight Board.  The first stage to go live was three years behind schedule and $36.8 million over budget.

The federal government botched  the $438 million computer upgrade for Air Traffic Controllers under the Federal Aviation Administration at the U.S. Department of Transportation.  As of May 2013, the system is projected to go over-budget by $270 million, a 62 percent error, reported the U.S. Transportation Department's Inspector General.  Meanwhile, a separate $2.4 billion high-altitude system has also gone over-budget by $300 million, and may cost yet another $200 million more.

The Defense Department spent $500 million on a Defense Travel System (DTS) to enable its personnel to use negotiated volume discount rates for airplane flights, hotels, and rental cars.  The project dragged on for seven years, and was a mess.  Like ObamaCare, airplane tickets often cost more, such as a $4,400 ticket on DTS in one example for a flight available for only $900 on Expedia. 

Edited by Papist

went to the town clerk office Monday , guy in chair waiting 30 min , finally it prints but no

fishing license, system frozen up .. guy leaves , next guy .. 45 minutes to print . finally the

system seem to running faster ( 1/2 of NY got dumped from the net ) LOL  mine went thru in

like 15 mins.

So in the mean time were all talking BS and the town clerk says he says this is new software

again ,, and this is on purpose , they want us all to go online to get them and when that

happens one day comming NO HUNTING in New York ... the big guy running the DEC is the biggest tree hugger in NY ..

So the online site kinda of works but you can only purchase a regular season tag right now. No other tag options are available.

I was confused about that too. Seems you need to make two separate purchases. Once you purchase the regular tag, then you will go back and the other tags/privileges will be available to purchase.

don't need to make 2 purchases. you just need to click on the annual hunting items that will give you one choice the general hunting put it in your cart & click on annual hunting items again & will give you the rest of the choices add the ones you want to your cart then check out