military surplus rifles

I usually carry my M1 Garand several days during NY season..I can't use it in PA because semi autos aren't allowed there . I shot a doe with it several years ago in NY , the only shot opportunity I have had while carrying it. It has issue peep sights. It ( the receiver) is 1943 vintage ( WWII), and I really enjoy carrying it, as a piece of history.

I carried my K98k German Mauser (8MM) in PA a couple of times, but never had a shot with it..

I have a 1944 Long Branch SMLE .303 that is a very good shooter, and I have thought about taking it deer hunting, but it is currently on display at the local American Legion post.

Edited by Pygmy

I just brought back a longbranch that someone had sporterised ..its all back to the way it was when a service man carryed it on the field.

This one is a great shooter as well. Its a mix master of parts but it looks like it should. . I will be hitting all the gun show's this fall looking for the correct parts .so I can make it as close as I can.

• Like 1

The 6.5 x 55 is a fantastic cartridge!

Oh yeah… He has taken some good bucks with it. One year he drilled one that was walking along a hedge row, well over 200 yds. out. The deer didn't go 20 yards. I don't know what load he shoots but he hand loads, and what ever it is it works very well.

I bring out a SKS from time to time with a lyman 66 peep sight on it.  I have no problems hitting a 8 inch gong at 200 yards with it.  However, I limit myself to 100 yards with irons and 150 yards with a scoped rifle for whitetails.  It just makes an ethical shot that much easier.   I reload 123gr hornady soft points, CCI #34 primers, and reloader 15 or H4198.  I mostly reload with privy partisan brass, but also reload with Remington brass too on that gun.

Sold a Czech mauser, that would of made a great hunter too.  I just wasn't using it enough to keep it.

I was gathering parts for a 458 socom AR for hunting the Adirondacks.   All I have left of that project is the eotech 512 sight.

My first deer rifle was a 7.7 Jap Arisaka, that was sporterized with a scope, Fajen stock and barrel cut to 24".  It shoots deer as well as any .30 caliber deer rifle with a velocity around 2400 fps.

I still have this rifle today.  I still take it deer hunting on occasion too.  I've found when loaded with good 150 grain bullets driven at 2500 fps, it is very effective on whitetail out to at least 200 yards, which is the farthest I've ever taken a deer with it.  I have no doubt it could take a deer at 300 yards if given the opportunity to prove itself.