military surplus rifles

I just used the Silver Bear ammo , had to redo the front site post , with no bayonet they shoot

high and left ,  now i can pic off clay targets at 100yrds with it.  Just got a surplus spam can

but haven't shot that stuff yet

I  don't have either rifle in hand, but judging from the pictures and the dimensions  they are not even close..

The Krag has a much longer barrel than the Springfield.  Also, the rear handguard on the Krag is cut out for the rear sight..

Since the 03A3  uses a peep sight, there is no cutout on the rear handguard.

I have my dads '98 Mauser, in its original 8x57 mm.

He put a redfield aperture and Herters bird eye maple stock on it, and I took my first buck with it.

Over the past few years, I performed some long needed updating...competition firing pin and spring, Timney trigger, drilled and tapped it for Leupold single piece mount. It now wears a 1.5x 5 Leupold. I hated to move away from the beautiful piece of maple dad used, but by going to a Hogue synthetic (glass bedded of course)I saved about 2 lbs,

Lastly I replaced the stock trigger guard assembly with a commercial trap door version...saved almost a 1/4 lb there.

With my long used Sierra 175 loads, she is the best shooting gun I have now. It has work duty on my upcoming Newfoundland moose hunt.

• Like 2