3A area

Joeydee914

Hi Joeydee914,

I hunt the gun season in the 3A forest preserve areas. Its not Adirondacks, but it is big woods.  There are a few threads in the "Big Woods Hunting" forum of this sight that really provide some great tips that you can apply there. You should check them out.  cover lot of ground, dont use treestands, Stay in the woods all day (no coming out for lunch), use topo maps, etc.

There was a time decades ago when the forest preserve areas had more deer and more hunters.  I may be generalizing a bit, but lack of logging has caused a drop in deer numbers.  And over time, there has been less hunters willing to put in the effort/time it takes to have success.  The areas still have deer, but its tough hunting. My advice would be to go in with the understanding it may take you some time to learn your area well. And try to appreciate this type of hunting for what it is.  If seeing and shooting deer is "everything" to you, you will be pretty disappointed. 

Also, it would be ideal if you have a hunting partner or two that is willing to travel as far as you are. For safety, getting deer out of the woods, and planning out hunts where you may bump deer to one another.  If I didnt hunt with partners, i'd probably never venture all that far, and that would cramp my style in a big way.

For the past several years, I've usually been getting a buck.  But I usually commit between a week to 9 days in the woods.  I've had some years where I get eyes on a handful of bucks in that time.  And other years where I only see 1 or 2.