DMP

Dave

Though you are randomly selected for a DMP from Aug thru Oct 1,st,  only it you have a preference point in certain areas. So all those hunters who lack a preference point will not apply this year unless they want a preference pt. for next year. So if selected next year they will have actually  paid $20 for their DMP.  If it was like a lottery then everyone would apply for the DMP and the DEC would haul in more money. JMHO

yea I feel like DMP participation has gone down since it costs $10 unless you're in areas where chance of drawing is HIGH. DMP allocation looks like less and less are preference point lottery and more end up being low and landowner 50+ acres required.  might be that way to increased % filled.  idk.

was luck this year had a preference point and got mine for 4 G 

now i just need to see a deer saw a few last year hoping there still hang out there  lol

Will have to hunt harder this year, no DMP for me in 4W. Have bow and crossbow so I will try harder and probably be hunting more just to fill my tag. Thats a good thing being in the woods, even if i don't get a deer. I love the peace and quiet and fresh air. Can't wait had two trail cameras out saw some deer and a bear whacked my camera to the ground. Guess he was camera shy!!!

My DMP is still free since I bought the Lifetime license decades ago.  I have yet to receive my license in the mail though, so I have not tried to get my DMP yet.

I wasn't aware they charge you to apply for it.  I thought you only paid for it if you got one.

My DMP is still free since I bought the Lifetime license decades ago.  I have yet to receive my license in the mail though, so I have not tried to get my DMP yet.

I wasn't aware they charge you to apply for it.  I thought you only paid for it if you got one.

I believe its free for Lifetime License holders. Everyone else pays $10 non refundable, also $10 for landowners permit

I am still thinking of applying for a DMP in 4A. Availability is low on #1, and none in #2. I still go to an agent for my license and tags, That way I can look things over and make sure the information is right.

The point thing kinda stinks like a mule fart.

The 'donating' $10 for points is like planting a $10 bill in the ground and hoping and waiting. I give you money, you give me what I paid for. 

• Like 2

You just have to learn how to work the system.  Apply for 4A for your first choice.  If you don't get it, at least you built a point for next year.  For your second chance, apply for somewhere with a higher chance like 4F.  Prefrence points only get used on the first choice, but count towards both choices.  I have been building PP for a few years by applying to 4A where I cant get a DMP (Non Resident) and still getting a DMP every year.  This year put me over the 3 PP limit, so next year I should actually be able to draw 4A if I was to apply for there even though I'm a Non Resident.

• Like 1

I am still thinking of applying for a DMP in 4A. Availability is low on #1, and none in #2. I still go to an agent for my license and tags, That way I can look things over and make sure the information is right.

The point thing kinda stinks like a mule fart.

The 'donating' $10 for points is like planting a $10 bill in the ground and hoping and waiting. I give you money, you give me what I paid for. 

It's only free for Lifetime holders who bought it prior to a certain year.  Newer Lifetime holders have to pay for the DMP's.  I find it strange they charge you when you apply but don't get one.  WTH is that?

it's supply and demand just like everything else in this world.  your asking for something that there's a lot less of.  so even though you're not getting it your $10 pays toward getting.  it works out that you just pay more for a DMP.  What happened to Papist isn't right he should have a preference point and should look into getting it.

When I hunted in area 6a, I got a permit every 4 or so years.  I needed 3 to 4o preference points to get one.  It adds up after 40 or 50 bucks.  I use the muzzleloader instead. In 6f now, there are no dmps.  Early Muzzleloading I can get a doe.  Otherwise it is bucks only for me.

• 5 weeks later...

I have been traveling a lot and just got the chance yesterday to get my license, and my dad likes to get his license in person so I always wait for him and go with him and my husband, sort of a tradition we have. We all had preference points, and were trying to get a DMP for the only private land we currently have permission to hunt. PP required for this DMU. My husband had 2 preference points so we thought he'd get one, but nope! He now has three Preference Points. My dad and I with one PP each also were denied a tag. The deer populations here vary quite a bit within the DMU so it's a little frustrating, especially since I really deer hunt for venison.
We would have put a different unit for our second choice but none of the public land within a reasonable drive had available DMPs.

Edited by Jennifer

I have been traveling a lot and just got the chance yesterday to get my license, and my dad likes to get his license in person so I always wait for him and go with him and my husband, sort of a tradition we have. We all had preference points, and were trying to get a DMP for the only private land we currently have permission to hunt. PP required for this DMU. My husband had 2 preference points so we thought he'd get one, but nope! He now has three Preference Points. My dad and I with one PP each also were denied a tag. The deer populations here vary quite a bit within the DMU so it's a little frustrating, especially since I really deer hunt for venison.

We would have put a different unit for our second choice but none of the public land within a reasonable drive had available DMPs.

Sorry to hear that Jennifer. I can sort of relate to your frustrations. Around me, there are literally unlimited DMP tags, but private land access is pretty tough to come by. Hunting public land is tough and usually sees a lot of pressure.

Have you tried knocking on some doors and offering your artwork? That might just get your foot in the door, so to speak.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I have, and actually my unexpected publicity has put me in contact with a lot more local folk. Unfortunately the story is often the same... either the property is said to be full or already overhunted, or leased. I do understand why people lease, especially given NYS property taxes, but it's rough when one can't swing the yearly costs. I am nostalgic for my youth when offering to help at the farm or help with property maintenence was a a fair trade for access.