crazy 2 hrs on Lake O

moog5050

Took the kids and wife out fishing yesterday with my Dad.  Since I wanted more action for the kids (6 and 13yrs old), we targeted lakers.  Caught more than I could count in 2 hours including 3 triples.  As soon as I set a rigger, it would fire and then the next and next.  Kids got tired of reeling them in.  Biggest was 14lbs.  Definitely not like fighting kings and I know its a "lesser fish", but seeing the kids battle them was about as much fun as I have had fishing.  Just when we were ready to start looking for kings, my wife looked a bit green from the sun and rolling water (she tends to get sea sick) so we headed in.  Don't discount fishing mid-day.  All this action was between 1-3pm. 

• Like 7

It was so hectic trying to keep up with helping the kids, netting, reviving and releasing fish that I didn't get many photos. My wife took some. Below is my son yesterday and my daughter last week with grandpa and her silver. Pretty sure my wife has photos of my daughter yesterday but not on my phone:

1BE4CE3E-F937-42D9-B654-9A0ABAF1B616.jpg

5EDFA9BB-992D-4C16-9096-574AFF8153B7.jpg

We fish every week but my daughter comes more often than my son. She is more of an outdoor sportsman and deadly with her 15lb recurve at 5 yds. Lol

• Like 10

BTW - as a testament to a great product, that Big Jon electric downrigger you see behind my son and a second have been in service since 1984 (when I was his age) without any maintenance whatsoever.  I never even change the cable on them until last week and only because I wanted more cable.  Impressive record to say the least.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately thats what most lake guides had to target for there clients, king fishing just sucked.   Lakers are native to the lake and sounds like the feds want more lakers and less non native species like salmon in the lake.  This may be the norm in the future. I sure hope not.  Lakers are definitely fun but it certainly does not bring the fisherman and the money they spend in the local economies.