Anybody hunt region 9

deerinsight

I was just wondering if anybody hunts region 9.

This is whare I hunt archery season once or twice a week during the early season.

I have property up there I grew up on in Mayville but know I live in Texas.

I will be going up there the last week of October this year to hunt. I also will be going up about a week from now with my family. To get some plots planted and a couple of trails cleaned up.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in & hunt #9. I hunt in Allegany, catt., erie, & wyoming co.s. . I hunt mostly for deer & turkey. For deer I use bow & muzzle loader, will take slug gun if weather is wet.  Another good web site here is Huntingwny.com which is more local to wny. area if youare interested.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My sons and I are gonna hunt Allegany State forest for a week starting the day after thanksgiving. Never been there but have high hopes. Reviewing topos and sat photos but it's too far away for scouting this year. (we're in Eastern Ct) First few day will have to be scouting and hunting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When hunting Allegany State Park, go deep and stay late.  Most hunters within 1/2-mile of access and out early.  If you like to read sign and cover alot of ground, it is a great place to hunt.  If you are concerned about getting lost, dragging a deer for hours or not being in good condition to climb mountains, then join the orange army near the roads. 

Much of the ASP borders the Seneca Allegany Territory.  Much of the Rez along the ASP boundary has been heavily logged.  The ASP is never loggged.  The boundary is a great place to still hunt.  I hunt the ASP in late MZ and shoot deer every year.  Good luck and enjoy one of the places in WNY where you can actually walk for more than 20 minutes without walking into posted signs and A#$HO#$ hunters patrolling their land.

Thanks Newtown. All the available elbow room for getting away from the yahoos is why we picked Allegany for this year's hunt. Here in Ct the state forest we usually hunt is over run with screaming and hollering orangeballs that start their deer drives at 7am opening morning, shooting up the place and rarely hitting anything. We spend considerable scouting time patterning bucks and it's all undone in a few minutes by these guys. We've had past success on CT public land but there just isn't unough geography to get away from the crowds and it's making it a lot harder to get a decent buck. I'll have to check out that Seneca Allegany Territory, we've got a full set of topos and have been comparing them with sat photos. Thanks again for the info.

Ed P

You need to register at the park office in Red House.  No sunday hunting, no rifles and shotguns must be plugged (3 shots).  We hunt with muzzleloaders in the park.  Also do not wander over the Rez line.  You can hunt nearby state land at Chipmunk (near Limestone) or McCarthy Hill (near Ellicottville) on Sunday.

Check out the Southwest corner of the park. 

Hey Newtown, you may have saved my bacon. I didn't know you couldn't use a rifle in Allegany! It's in Catagaraus county which is rifle so the no-rifle reg must be something particular to the park. Do you know any on line site that has a complete list of Allegany regs? I'm trying to avoid any more surprises. Thanks.

Ed

ASP is managed independently from other state lands (thus the separate hunting regs) and there is not much info on the web.  I suggest calling the number on this site and speaking to a ranger about the hunting regs.  They are very pro hunting. 

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/55695.html

All other state lands in Catt County are open to rilfle and Sunday hunting.

There is a Holiday Inn Express in Salamanca that is only a couple exits from Red House and Quaker Run.  There will be other hunters staying there.

One other tip: PA has had antler restrictions for a number of years and rifle season does not open until after Thanksgiving.  Archery has already closed so the PA side is in a hunting lull.  When NY gun opens, the PA border is a safe zone.

Here's another tip for ASP.  If you're not hunting opening week of the NY season.  After the PA season opens, the area along the state line can be very good.  The pressure in PA tends to chase the deer back across the state line and you can see improved hunting on both sides of the main East/ West road in the Park when this happens.  There's good access all along the state line; Wolf Run, Coon Run, Dry Brook and Trail #3 all being very good places to start.