Favorite buck lure?

hunter143

As long as I've been hunting ,I have only witnessed doe piss work once,it was code blue . I don't even bother anymore. If I see a scrape ,I mark it myself,it seems like they get mad too ,if you back and check it ,they tear the heck out of the ground to get your smell out of there.

The best I have seen is going to one of my sites when the bucks are starting scrapes then take the dirt from it and the overhanging branch and move it to another of my spots by one of my stands. Had very good results. The store bought bottle stuff not much luck. I have liked some of the cover scents like researches earth scent wafers, that deer herd stick and the old Fitzgeralds Deer Dander.

Frozen tarsal glands from my previous year and any urine I collect off of what I shoot.....I freeze it and tails off rut shot doe and frozen ones from buck...I  hang them on strings from low limbs...and scent wicks dipped in licorice  or anise oils....I personally love licorice candy but can no longer eat it it's actually dangerous for ppl over 40...so I used some oils I had for cooking in a scent canister ..dang buck actually liked the smell. 

I've been using Tink's, and I don't notice if it works or not. Years ago, I mean like 40 years ago, I used one called Davey Brackens Buck Lure. Now that one I did notice it worked. They must of gone out of business, haven't seen it in years.

It is difficult to say whether a lure actually brought in a deer or whether the deer would have simply shown up there anyway.

The only exception that I have seen to that thought is an occasion where I used a drag rag and watched the buck come in on my trail with his nose to the ground. To me that was pretty powerful proof that it was an attractant. I was using Tink's 69 at the time. The bad news is that the tactic never worked again for me.

• Like 1

It is difficult to say whether a lure actually brought in a deer or whether the deer would have simply shown up there anyway.

The only exception that I have seen to that thought is an occasion where I used a drag rag and watched the buck come in on my trail with his nose to the ground. To me that was pretty powerful proof that it was an attractant. I was using Tink's 69 at the time. The bad news is that the tactic never worked again for me.

That's why I say ,only one I have seen it actually work . A buck was cruising down hill and when he hit the spot I started my drag line ,he turned and followed until he was about 10 feet for where I could get a shot and then proceed back in his original direction. So close.

I use whatever I can get my hands on (whatever's on sale).

I've had lots of bucks of all shapes and sizes follow a drag line, but I think timing is more important than what you're dragging. I get a little more excited when I drain the bladder from a fresh kill though around that first week of November.

I always rub my hunting clothes all over the first (and next) deer I kill. By the end of season my clothing absolutely wreaks of deer but deer don't seem to mind that much.

Caught this little guy last fall following a drag of Wildlife Research "Golden Scrape" I had pulled behind me on my way in.

He came in textbook nose to the ground totally oblivious to anything around him. Just wish he had been a little bigger! ;)

large.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 8/21/2015 at 9:06 AM, jim335 said:

I've been using Tink's, and I don't notice if it works or not. Years ago, I mean like 40 years ago, I used one called Davey Brackens Buck Lure. Now that one I did notice it worked. They must of gone out of business, haven't seen it in years.

i agree years ago about 40 tyears  ago i used it brackens buck lure and almost was ran over with a buck snorting   what great stuff wish i knew what they did  to make it great