Crank draw device

Jaeger

Do the crank type drawing devices work as advertised?  Or are they more trouble than they are worth?

I'm really short and have a difficult time cocking my Vengeance crossbow, have to pull it several times up chest high before the string seats in the hook,  I think I'm having difficulty pulling it back straight enough.

I've tried shortening the pull string and it helps somewhat, but for practice am considering the crank handle drawing device.

Also, attach it to the bow or not?  can they be used without permanently attaching it to the bow?

Can't speak directly about the Vengeance Xbow. In my experience, the key to using the rope cocking method is to have rope short enough so that when you're standing erect, w/arms extended, you can just reach the handles on the rope. Xbow should be cocked when your arms are completely bent at the elbows. Naturally depending on your physical size. Too long a starting rope length & you'll be pulling way too far up your chest to be comfortably done. Too short & you'll be bending over to start the cocking process. Just right..!

On my 10pt Xbow, the crank cocking mechanism is pretty noisy making subsequent shots unlikely, at best! The crank handle on my Xbow is removable and does attach to the stock for storage, so it's not something I need to remember to carry along like a rope. Not sure what you mean "as advertised", but they are much easier to use than the rope method. And IMHO a much safer method to use when up in a tree stand! Can be done while Xbow lies across your lap.

Edited by nyslowhand

I think if would be nice in a stand bc bending forward drawing a bow back could get some people in trouble quick

I know what your saying, but I guess I think of x-bow hunting the same as conventional bow or ML so the first shot is THE most important.

Rapid fire is not an option with any of these weapons as they each take some time to re-load and re-acquire your target.

A clean miss will likely offer no follow up in MOST situations. If I screw up the first one to miss clean, I'll take all the blame and the animal will likely live to see another day no matter what the reaction after the shot.(with a non repeating weapon)

In the event of a wounded animal, give them time to run off and rely on your trailing skills once you get on the ground to reload and follow up.

A marginally hit animal from the stand ain't going to stick around for a follow up.

A spined animal isn't going far so there's no hurry other than what's in our minds.

As much as it feels like forever before you climb down to reload, it's probably the wisest choice you could make for your own safety instead of attempting to re-cock in a stand.

• Like 2

I know what your saying, but I guess I think of x-bow hunting the same as conventional bow or ML so the first shot is THE most important.

Rapid fire is not an option with any of these weapons as they each take some time to re-load and re-acquire your target.

A clean miss will likely offer no follow up in MOST situations. If I screw up the first one to miss clean, I'll take all the blame and the animal will likely live to see another day no matter what the reaction after the shot.(with a non repeating weapon)

In the event of a wounded animal, give them time to run off and rely on your trailing skills once you get on the ground to reload and follow up.

A marginally hit animal from the stand ain't going to stick around for a follow up.

A spined animal isn't going far so there's no hurry other than what's in our minds.

As much as it feels like forever before you climb down to reload, it's probably the wisest choice you could make for your own safety instead of attempting to re-cock in a stand.

True probably the only way to eliminate most of the risks associated with xbow cocking in treestand is one of those autocockers....bending forward doesn't seem ideal

I have my cocking rope short enough that it's tight in the groove at the top of the stock. And the clips pull the string back about an eighth of an inch. The handles are at the string. Pulls back to belt high for me. And very easy for 150 pound pull.

The cocking device that came with my Barrnet Raptor, works well, but is very noisy with loud clicks. A deer could hear it from a good distance away. So I just prefer the cocking rope. The cocking device on my crossbow mounts on the stock. But I think some others slip on over the butt end od the stock too.

Hope you find a solution that will work well for you.

I just ordered the crank through Amazon, what an exhausting experience!  They make it so hard to place a simple order and I already had an account.

But I'm glad I did.  It will make life much easier.

I'm in a very much different boat than most of the rest of you.  I am 5' tall.  Even with the pull string shortened to the point I can just reach it and a block of wood over the foot stirrup to step on, or thick soled boots, I still have to pull the string handles up over my shoulders to seat the string in the hook.  The bow wobbles and I can't see the string/hook position.  It's pull, jerk and hope.  I suspect many short women have a similar problem, and I do work out with weights 3 times a week.

But then, being closer to the ground than the rest of you, its a lot easier for me to drag a deer out of the woods! Ha!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I installed the crank cocking device.  I cannot do a product review as it is against site policy to post anything but positive product reviews.  I understand the liability issues there.

Suffice it to say, I'll be using my string bow cocking device shortened as much as possible and standing on my toes while pulling the string handles up to my chest.

It is a good workout.  And thank you for avoiding the short jokes, at least for now!!  Perhaps I shouldn't try to shoot something bigger than I am.  Ha! beat ya' to it!

But boy am I accurate with it when I do get it cocked!!

...... I cannot do a product review as it is against site policy to post anything but positive product reviews.  I understand the liability issues there....

Burmjohn &/or moderators, is this true??

Shouldn't be a site liability issue, reviews are member's opinions. What's the sense of only allowing positive reviews?

Burmjohn &/or moderators, is this true??

Shouldn't be a site liability issue, reviews are member's opinions. What's the sense of only allowing positive reviews?

Honestly, I don't know either. I can't imagine that there would be any liability on opinions. I know other sites have product reviews of different items.

Wouldn't you think that in the design of any crank-style cocking device on a hunting weapon that absolute silence would be a natural "must-have" design criteria? .... lol

Ya'd think, but, not the case! They are noisy to use! I found a little trick when using mine to make it much less noisy. A finger on the engage-disengage lever takes some of the ratcheting sounds away. BTW - a Xbow is pretty loud when shot, so being quiet after the shot (re-cocking) is kind of a moot point. Like others have mentioned, better make the 1st shot count, a 2nd shot is pretty unlikely anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

The issue with the crank drawing device is that I cannot get it to draw evenly.  I may be doing something wrong and am taking it to my dealer tomorrow.

I thought I had installed it correctly, even giving one side a couple of twists to even the drawbar up when fully extended and loose.

But when I crank the handle, about half way drawn, one side is about 3/4 inch ahead of the other and I'm not sure its anchoring in the trigger bar evenly.  The best I can determine is that one side is winding up on itself over the spool and drawing quicker than the other side.

I could add some yarn to the serving at dead center over the channel and see where it sits but thought better of it(yarn may get stuck in the serving).  

So I am bringing it to my dealer to see what he can see.

I felt obligated to post this as many thought I was having an issue with the cranking noise.

Thank guys,

jaeger

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update, brought it to shop, checked it out and reset it.  I must have had it off a little, works great now, just a little squeeky and we can'ts seem to pin down the source. I think it's just the spindle turning in its slot.

He tried a little vasiline that didn't help and I'm going to remove with some degreaser, don't want it hardening up in the cold.

It certainly makes it easier to cock the bow.  Definitely not a "second shot" suitable device.

Thanks.

Probably not the same... On my 10pt cocking device, found if I put one finger on the engage/disengage lever, it quieted down the cranking noise some. Not the easiest thing to do!!

Yeah, I have difficulty rubbing my belly and patting my head at the same time, the walk and chew gun syndrome.

I'll give it a try, it may be the engage/disengage lever riding on the spindle/ratchet shaft.  Thanks!