rifles that deer hunt

eagle rider

My main whitetail rifle is my Remmy 700 Mountain rifle in 7mm08..

If I am watching the wide open spaces where a long range shot is a good possibility, I set up in a position where I can get a good solid shot from my bipod with my M70  laminate stock .280..

Several days a year for a change of pace I carry my M1 Garand ( 30-06 of course) just because I like to carry it and I like to shoot it.  Shots within 100 yards are no problem with its issue battle peep sight. I bought a couple of 5 shot en-bloc clips for it so it's legal to use in NY.  I'd like to carry it in PA, but semi autos are not allowed down there for deer...

I use a Ruger M77 bolt-action in 30/06, laminated wood stock with 3-9 Redfield Low-Profile/Widefield scope in rifle zones, with Federal classic 150 gr. ammo.  That gun has not failed me yet.  My longest kill with it was last fall's Adirondack 8-point at about 325 yards (based on "Google maps").  I had planned on getting the exact range this past Memorial day weekend with a GPS, but the bugs were too bad in the woods.  I don't know how you spring turkey hunters can handle that.   It sure was a lot nicer out on the lake fishing.   

A Marlin M512 bolt-action rifled shotgun, with walnut stock, Bushnell 4X scope and 2-3/4" Hornady SST's works ok for me in shotgun zones.  It is not a real pretty or expensive gun but it usually gets the job done.   My longest kill with it was a doe at 163 yards a few years back.   This only time it let me down was when it failed to fire on a 20 yard doe because the firing pin froze up in extreme cold weather.   I have since cleaned it thoroughly and lubed it and it hasn't failed me since.    Seven years later, that still bothers me because we had to buy some beef that year. 

I usually tote my granddad's old smooth-bore "deerslayer" 16 ga, Ithaca 37 (the foster slugs themselves are "rifled" anyhow), and stick to spots where only under 75 yard shots are expected, when it gets real cold now days in the shotgun zones.   Once, I even dropped it out of my stand into a ditch full of water, just giving it a basic, quick cleaning and lube after, and it has still cycled and fired every time no matter how cold it gets.  That old pump-gun is another that has never failed to deliver for me on deer.  I sure can't say that about partridge however, as I think I missed at least the first 10 that I shot at with the modified barrel on it.  Anybody need a 16 ga, mod 37, Ithaca modified barrel?   I will certainly never part with the gun itself or the "deerslayer" cylinder bore barrel.  My Ruger 30/06 took my largest-bodied buck last fall, but this old shotgun took my first buck, and a few with larger racks.       

For ML, I use a T/C Omega 50 cal rifle with laminated wood stock and 2-7X Redfield Low-Profile/Widefield scope.   My favorite hunt with that one was an Adirondack doe, and my first deer up there in those beautiful mountains.  I will never forget what she looked like as she stared me down after taking the 240 gr sabot thru both lungs, with her group of 6 other antlerless deer standing behind her.   The year prior, I had seen a group of deer feeding on the adjacent ridge, but it was 300 yards away, more than double the gun's effective range.  That year I was right on that oak-ridge waiting for them, and she got the surprise of her life.

It was such a remote area that it is possible she had never seen a hunter before.  It was easy to imagine how it must have been back before there were so many in the woods.   She stood there for about a minute, 30 yards away, until her legs began to wobble and she tumbled down a steep ravine.    Fortunately, she landed right on the lane to the cabin that my father in law had rented for the weekend, making for an easy recovery.  I did take a little heat from my sister in law when she jogged by the gut pile later that morning.  It was gone completely the next day however as the buzzards could spot it easy there.  

• Like 1

I use a Ruger M77 bolt-action in 30/06, laminated wood stock with 3-9 Redfield Low-Profile/Widefield scope in rifle zones, with Federal classic 150 gr. ammo. That gun has not failed me yet. My longest kill with it was last fall's Adirondack 8-point at about 325 yards (based on "Google maps"). I had planned on getting the exact range this past Memorial day weekend with a GPS, but the bugs were too bad in the woods. I don't know how you spring turkey hunters can handle that. It sure was a lot nicer out on the lake fishing.

A Marlin M512 bolt-action rifled shotgun, with walnut stock, Bushnell 4X scope and 2-3/4" Hornady SST's works ok for me in shotgun zones. It is not a real pretty or expensive gun but it usually gets the job done. My longest kill with it was a doe at 163 yards a few years back. This only time it let me down was when it failed to fire on a 20 yard doe because the firing pin froze up in extreme cold weather. I have since cleaned it thoroughly and lubed it and it hasn't failed me since. Seven years later, that still bothers me because we had to buy some beef that year.

I usually tote my granddad's old smooth-bore "deerslayer" 16 ga, Ithaca 37 (the foster slugs themselves are "rifled" anyhow), and stick to spots where only under 75 yard shots are expected, when it gets real cold now days in the shotgun zones. Once, I even dropped it out of my stand into a ditch full of water, just giving it a basic, quick cleaning and lube after, and it has still cycled and fired every time no matter how cold it gets. That old pump-gun is another that has never failed to deliver for me on deer. I sure can't say that about partridge however, as I think I missed at least the first 10 that I shot at with the modified barrel on it. Anybody need a 16 ga, mod 37, Ithaca modified barrel? I will certainly never part with the gun itself or the "deerslayer" cylinder bore barrel. My Ruger 30/06 took my largest-bodied buck last fall, but this old shotgun took my first buck, and a few with larger racks.

For ML, I use a T/C Omega 50 cal rifle with laminated wood stock and 2-7X Redfield Low-Profile/Widefield scope. My favorite hunt with that one was an Adirondack doe, and my first deer up there in those beautiful mountains. I will never forget what she looked like as she stared me down after taking the 240 gr sabot thru both lungs, with her group of 6 other antlerless deer standing behind her. The year prior, I had seen a group of deer feeding on the adjacent ridge, but it was 300 yards away, more than double the gun's effective range. That year I was right on that oak-ridge waiting for them, and she got the surprise of her life.

It was such a remote area that it is possible she had never seen a hunter before. It was easy to imagine how it must have been back before there were so many in the woods. She stood there for about a minute, 30 yards away, until her legs began to wobble and she tumbled down a steep ravine. Fortunately, she landed right on the lane to the cabin that my father in law had rented for the weekend, making for an easy recovery. I did take a little heat from my sister in law when she jogged by the gut pile later that morning. It was gone completely the next day however as the buzzards could spot it easy there.

Man you could publish that reply it's so long. (Grins)

don't have a camp... all hunting locations within a 45 min drive.  I've got a few deer rifles.  Not really purpose built but mean something.  Winchester Model 94 30-30 lever action.  dad, little brother, and I all took our first bucks with it.  I've got a Remington 742 Woodsmaster 30-06 from my grandpa that I've taken many deer with.  My primary gun though is an impulse buy that I just seem to like.  it's a Browning Abolt II Stainless Walnut stocked 30-06 with a detachable mag and a short throw bolt, and a nice crisp trigger.

• Like 1

don't have a camp... all hunting locations within a 45 min drive.  I've got a few deer rifles.  Not really purpose built but mean something.  Winchester Model 94 30-30 lever action.  dad, little brother, and I all took our first bucks with it.  I've got a Remington 742 Woodsmaster 30-06 from my grandpa that I've taken many deer with.  My primary gun though is an impulse buy that I just seem to like.  it's a Browning Abolt II Stainless Walnut stocked 30-06 with a detachable mag and a short throw bolt, and a nice crisp trigger.

Hard to beat that A-Bolt!!!!  I know that feeling. 

• Like 1

Savage 30-06 my first rifle.  Still have yet to get a deer with it!  My buddies Marlin 30-30 lever action I hope to get a deer with this special gun!  And my Model 94 Winchester in 44 mag this is my prefered weapon as it is easy to fire, carry and I have taken all  three of my deer up in the ADK with it. 

• Like 1

Hard to beat that A-Bolt!!!!  I know that feeling. 

it's not the most accurate rifle without being finicky.  It's light and handles great though.  don't hunt in all out nastiest of weather otherwise I'd change out the stock to synthetic.  nice looking gun but I use it just like any other deer rifle.  it fits my hands like a glove and handles very quick with it's design and 22" barrel.  I've shot a buck running through the timber twice with the second bullet anchoring it to the ground within about 40 yards.  wasn't really that open either but I focused on sending it right to the same spot through the next opening I could find.  after skinning it I noticed both bullets holes were behind the shoulder and just under 2" apart on center.  I couldn't shot any faster on target (disregard accuracy) with the 742 semi-auto.  it just handles great.

Savage 10ml2 smokeless muzzle loader w a sightron s2 3.5-10x42, weatherby vanguard 2 ss 257 wby w minox 3-15x50, Remington sendero 7mmrm w vortex pst 4-16x50.... A few cheapy savages that shoot fantastic but I look forward to hunting w my grandfathers savage 99 300 savage more than anything

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hunted my first 2-3 years with my uncles marlin .35 but Been using my browning a bolt II 30-06 for about 13 years. I just won a Ruger American .308, looks like a nice gun so I may give it a shot this year. I'm a little nervous though because I'm so used to and comfortable with the trigger on my browning.

I haven't gotten a chance at a big buck yet, feel like I'd want what I'm most comfortable with if he ever does pass by me during gun season. We'll see...

• Like 1

it's not the most accurate rifle without being finicky.  It's light and handles great though.  don't hunt in all out nastiest of weather otherwise I'd change out the stock to synthetic.  nice looking gun but I use it just like any other deer rifle.  it fits my hands like a glove and handles very quick with it's design and 22" barrel.  I've shot a buck running through the timber twice with the second bullet anchoring it to the ground within about 40 yards.  wasn't really that open either but I focused on sending it right to the same spot through the next opening I could find.  after skinning it I noticed both bullets holes were behind the shoulder and just under 2" apart on center.  I couldn't shot any faster on target (disregard accuracy) with the 742 semi-auto.  it just handles great.

Both of my A-Bolts will do under an inch.  I think they are terrific mountain rifles.  

Browning BLR in 450 marlin with 1.5-4.5x32mm bushnell scope is what comes out most often.  After that a 54 cal lyman great plains rifle in flintlock ignition, it often sees rifle season.   After that a glenfiled model 30 in 30-30 with lyman 66 peep sight.

That's some big medicine for deer....