Broadheads 2015

Hock3y24

A lot of people knock them, but i shoot rage 2 blades 100 gr.. I will be trying out the hypodermics this year.

I have seen a few very bad hits(from a friend) with rage heads... that i would have never ever thought would kill a deer, but did..  not saying that a different head couldnt do the same thing.

so far i have not had one fail, all of my kills have been pass thru's as well.

my backup broad head is the g5 montecs, awesome reliable head in case the rage ever failed

both fly like field tips for me

One of my buddies is persistent on my trying the Rage Hypo's this year, Rage's history of not being durable and also when bad shots are made the broad-head in the past has not helped at all in recovering the deer.

They have been very effective for me.  They are a one and done (or replace blades) head.  It helps to shoot heavy poundage.  I wouldn't use them if I was shooting 50 or even 60lb bows.

• Like 2

2013 Buck was hit slightly forward, Muzzy MX-3 blew through humerus.  Clipped both lungs, and broke off immediatly.  Deer made it about 80 yards.  If you look at a diagram of a deer skeleton, you dont need to be off by much to hit this bone, which is much stonger than the shoulder blade.  I agree that the key is a good shot, and sharp broadheads, but Id be curious how other (expandable) broadheads would perform with the same point of impact. 

post-6386-0-02696200-1441913050_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Does anyone not use Rage broadeads for a good reason? I hear a lot of people saying they love them and they work flawlessly. But I have also heard bad things about them.

I think in the early years durability was an issue and the use of rubber bands to hold the blades in place.  from what ive seen every time one is used, at-least one blade is broken. I will say the blood trails and holes that Rages produce are ridiculous, look at youtube. I believe Rage can be affect with the right shooter, i think where they lack is when the shooter makes a bad shot. but that's just my opinion and watching hunts on TV many celebrities use Rage obviously and are definitely not the best shots.

In saying all this, i am very tempted to use the Hypodermics this season but idk if i can bring myself to trust them....

G5...used them last year and was more than impressed...I won't use mechanical because I tend to shoulder shoot... just is what it is.... I have a thing about gut shooting and tend to pull forward(mind thing)...more than once I have had deer drop and tilt away from me. Shooting a bit fore ward it is a miss...when aiming a bit farther back it has caused a front gut and one lung hit....When they don't drop and turn or they just drop...I have had deer drop in their tracks and the broad head go through both shoulders...most of the time though I get the double lung its just right behind the elbow...nicked a few of those over the years...

I don't use the rage broadheads.  I never tried rages but the other mechanical broadheads never worked well for me. Opened up flew terriable etc.  I figure it is just another thing that could go wrong so I take it out of the mix. I think alot of people use them because they don't have to tune broadheads to the bow. It seems alot of people want to take the easiest way to gratification, the less work the better. 

I find archery to be very therapeutic and I love messing and tuning with the bow. 

• Like 1