Broadheads 2015

Hock3y24

G5...used them last year and was more than impressed...I won't use mechanical because I tend to shoulder shoot... just is what it is.... I have a thing about gut shooting and tend to pull forward(mind thing)...more than once I have had deer drop and tilt away from me. Shooting a bit fore ward it is a miss...when aiming a bit farther back it has caused a front gut and one lung hit....When they don't drop and turn or they just drop...I have had deer drop in their tracks and the broad head go through both shoulders...most of the time though I get the double lung its just right behind the elbow...nicked a few of those over the years...

I have blown through shoulder blades with traditional 2-blade Rages, but I shoot 70 lbs draw and fairly heavy arrow. Wish I would have taken pictures. I think if I ever went back to fixed blades I'd give the G5's a shot, seem to be pretty effective.

Chiefbkt

I don't use the rage broadheads.  I never tried rages but the other mechanical broadheads never worked well for me. Opened up flew terriable etc.  I figure it is just another thing that could go wrong so I take it out of the mix. I think alot of people use them because they don't have to tune broadheads to the bow. It seems alot of people want to take the easiest way to gratification, the less work the better. 

I find archery to be very therapeutic and I love messing and tuning with the bow. 

LOL, Really?

I shoot Rage 2 blades, I have never hit a deer yet that made it out alive! Might have missed one or two though! :)

How many people won't use a mechanical broadhead because it's one more thing to fail but hunt with a drop away rest? I just got done shooting 3 diffrent broadheads ,rage 2 and 3 blade as well as muzzys fixed blade. The rage shoot the same as a field tip and the muzzys take off 5 inches to the left. I'm all for using the ones that shoot good without screwing around.

• Like 1

Val, you are not simply adjusting for BH POI, rather you tune so that the BH and FP have the same POI.

Once you tune a bow so that FP and BHs hit the same via whatever method you choose (walk back, French, bareshaft), any BH or FP at the same weight should have the same POI theoretically.  If it doesn't the issue is the BH, not the tune.  You should not have to tune a bow for each specific BH Val.

• Like 3

Jeremy K.

That screwing around to get a fixed blade to fly like a field point is tuning an arrow to your bow. Which in the long run will make your shot accuracy a whole lot better. I know it is easier to just shoot something that flys the same.

I hear what your saying,before mechanicals we had to shoot broadheads before the season to make sure they were dialed in . Now I don't have to do that anymore and I'm liking it so far.

Shot my bow last night. Used 100gr. Thunderhead fixed three blade, Muzzy 100gr. fixed three blade and 100gr. field points. All shot pretty much the same POI. from my old Matthews solo cam, set at 53 pounds. After using the Thunderheads for years, I'm thinking about switching to the Muzzy's. They seem to fly just a tiny bit better out of my set up.

Val, you are not simply adjusting for BH POI, rather you tune so that the BH and FP have the same POI.

I got it, thanks I luckily haven't had the issue my broadheads fly exactly the same. Thanks for the explanation.

Once you tune a bow so that FP and BHs hit the same via whatever method you choose (walk back, French, bareshaft), any BH or FP at the same weight should have the same POI theoretically. If it doesn't the issue is the BH, not the tune. You should not have to tune a bow for each specific BH Val.

Does anyone not use Rage broadeads for a good reason? I hear a lot of people saying they love them and they work flawlessly. But I have also heard bad things about them.

I used them for years & loved them 2 seasons ago I bought 2 packages from bass pro. I believe 3 of them were defective

emailed, messaged called & I am still waiting on an answer. I tossed them & My bow shop turned me on to innerloc tunable fixed blades

& have been extremely happy

Last year I used NAP Killzones and they were deadly.

I decided to step it up this year and get single bevel Massai broad heads by Grizzlystick.  

They are expensive, but are absolute beasts.  I am going upstate to Roxbury for opening weekend and will hopefully come across a nice black bear... if i'm lucky i'll get to try them out on a nice boar. 

SeaSac