Silver Lake (Wyoming County)

Lawdwaz

Who's the expert here on Silver Lake?  (OK, maybe I don't need an expert :derisive:

I fished it today, last minute decision to head down there.  By the time I got on the water it was a little after 9am and in the begining only caught a couple small bluegill and lost one monster something??  The big SOB fought like a beast for a few seconds then swam straight for the boat, ducking under the boat so fast I barely had time to dip my rod tip in the water to try and re-direct he/she.  No dice, all of a sudden I hear a big splash and look over my left shoulder and catch a glimpse of a big fish slapping the water.  BAMMMMMM, show's over.  Busted line and ego on my end.

Around 11:30 or so I headed across to the east side.  I started drifting in about 15-24' of water and then the bite was on!  No biggie to most of you guys but it was fun.  Every other cast saw either a small perch or decent bluegill come to the boat in addition to a real nice largemouth and a bunch of little smallmouth.

I pulled out around 2pm as it was getting warm and I'd had enough, seeing as I started out the trip with ONE beer and ZERO cigars I think I earned the handful of fish that I kept. 

So, who else has fished it before?  Hot spots? (I won't tell a soul.......)  ;)

Edited by Lawdwaz

Good day, Larry....There are some northerns in Silver and they fight pretty good in the warm water this time of the year...You may have had an encounter with one, or a hog largemouth...

I have never fished Silver but talking to guys that have over the last 40 years, everyone mentions lots of perch, but small...

Hope you cleaned enough for another meal of fish rolls  !

post-5805-0-19209600-1440300570_thumb.jpI have fished that lake usually once or twice a year, over the last 40 years or so.   It has been a while since I got any smallmouth there, but I do remember one lunker long ago that I took by accident and released while pike fishing in May.   As far as game-fish, Northern pike are what that lake is most known for and that is almost certainly what your early big fish was.   30-40 inchers are relatively common there.    I am not much of a pan-fisherman but I know that lake is also popular for those.   I hear they did very well opening day this year with a bass tournament held out of the State launch on the South end.  We went out the next day and didn't do so hot with just a few short largemouth.   

I always used to head down there on the opening couple weeks of pike season in May.   We have taken many limit catches of those there over the years, mostly on Bucktail jigs/minnows and/or live shiners below a bobber.   My own largest was 36" about 10 years ago.   My wife has pretty much put a stop to my pike fishing now, since my Brother in Law choked on a y-bone a few years ago up in Alex bay and had to go to the hospital to have it removed.    

I did keep a 36" pictured above (may resemble the "one that got away" on you on Silver) up at Alex bay on the St Lawrence this summer because it had an injury on its side and I was interested to see what it had in its belly.  It looked quite fat compared to a typical Northern.  Turns out there was a recently swallowed 10" long smallmouth bass in there.   The neighbor had also been after me to keep some for him because he loves eating them and he was thrilled to get them big fillets.

My favorite spots on Silver Lake for pike in May is the shallow North and South ends on the weedline.   Near the North East corner, on the drop-off near the water treatment plant, has also been productive for pike, and that is where I caught the big smallmouth years ago.   We have taken a few walleye on that lake over the years while pike fishing, most of respectable size in the 5-7 lb range.   I cant remember ever getting a limit of largemouth there but catches of 2-3, working mostly along the shoreline docks are typical during the summer months. 

Speaking of largemouth, we hammered them good today down on Finley lake in the far SW corner of the state.  They were all over a Jig&pig thrown along the shoreline and boat docks.   I just finished vacuum sealing a few packs and we are having some for dinner tomorrow.   I know most folks prefer walleye or perch on the table but bass are my favorite.  Unlike those "dryer" fish, which I do agree are better fried, bass fillets have just enough oil in them to keep moist when grilling or baking.  As long as you keep them alive and fresh until you get the meat off them, they taste great too, and are not the least bit "fishy".  They do get a bad rap when folks let the die on a stringer in warm water and still expect a good meal later.   Our livewell got a good workout today, that's for sure.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
26 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Old thread but I am headed to silver for the weekend with the family.....what's my best way to get into some largemouth or pike?
We will be bringing our 16ft boat so all options are open.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Family says big ole pike chubs and large azz red/white bobbers with #2 snelled hooks IMO    Whole family has a chance at largemouth and pike without losing expensive hardware . Have fun !

• Like 2