Planting today

Well, after a series of delays and breakdowns, I'm finally ready to do my fall planting today...

I have three acres plowed and disced ( and disced, and disced) adjacent to my 2 year old existing clover plot..

I'm planting half of it with clover ( NWTF Rut-N-Strut mix)  with oats for cover and fall feed, and the other half to the rape,turnip,radish mix that has done well in the past for me...

They are predicting thunderstorms here tomorrow afternoon and evening..After I get the seed in, I'll have my fingers crossed for rain..

• Like 2

Yes, I have the last two years...Both times I have had turnips the size of baseballs and radishes  probably 6-8 "  long..

Perhaps I've been lucky, with no early killing frost the last two years..Of course, as in all farming, it's always a gamble...

All that said, I had planned to have the seed planted a couple of weeks ago, but have been plagued by breakdowns, both  with the equipment and my rickety old body, which have delayed me a couple of weeks...

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1

Best of luck to you, hopefully no more breakdowns anytime soon! :)

All of my brassica/turnip plantings have been done since the end of July. I had about a 1/2 - 3/4 bag of antler king honey hole left over from one plot. So i planted that to "use it up" this past weekend in a "test spot" not far from the cabin.

I know its late but i did it more for the fact to see how well the plants do when planting this late... if the turnips will grow at all and if the brassicas get tall enough to eat.... etc..

Antler king Honey hole seemed to be the fastest growing blend i have planted so far.