Suggestions for Scope on 50 cal cva Optima

hunter

One year I was aiming my gun at a doe.  About ready to pull the trigger and burn up a doe tag.  Then out of the corner of my scope I saw a nice buck.  I used the buck tag instead.  Would of never saw it with a 3-9x scope.  Probably would of seen that buck run off alone.

I have a bushnell 3200 elite 1.5-4.5x32mm scope on several rifles as well as my muzzleloader.  They make an entry level model for about $150.  They don't make the elite in that power anymore.  I think this excellent scope was downgraded to the banner series.  Lower power scopes collect more light and are naturally more brighter in low light that higher power.

BDC is not needed for a muzzleloader.  I zero mine at 100, put the crosshairs to the spine for a nice 150 yard broadside.  Aim the crosshairs as high as the head for a nice 200 yard broadside.  I am using 90 grains FFFg real blackpowder and a hornady 240gr .429" bullet in a harvester sabot.    With more powder and hotter charges of more modern substitutes, you could easily put a 150 yard zero and aim for the spine for a good 200.   200 is a long way for modern blackpowder guns, but not too long.  I wouldn't push it past that.

I like a thick crosshair that can be readily seen for quick reaction shots, like bumping into a nice one while walking in.   Also, I had a bit of fog on my scope lens one year.  If I had a thin recticle scope like most are, I wouldn't of got a buck opening day a few years back.

Nikon makes a nice recticle on their slughunter scope I bought a few years ago.  IT's thick, but also has a shimmer to the rectile.  It's almost like those holographic stickers.  It changes from black to burnt orange.  A very well thought out feature on that scope.  I can imagine their buckmaster scope has the same kind of rectile.

I've been scooping up those 1.5-4.5x32 bushnell elites when I find them on gunbroker or ebay.  So, I don't know of anything particular that is currently on the market.

• Like 2

I am not a fan of the bdc, you can get a nice nikon,Leopold, weaver,or bushnell in the 200 dollar range. I tell you thought I bought a spare cabelas powderhorn and for the 50 bucks sale price its very very impressive.

On my TC Shadow Hawk ML, I have a Leopold 1x4 that works well for me. Also have the same scope on my Deerslayer 2. On 1 power it's great for quick pick up in the thick stuff and on 4 power it's plenty for out to my max range of 100 yards or so for these guns. Nikon also makes a good scope for under $200. Don't care for the BDC, but really like the nikoplex crosshair. Good luck with your new scope, whatever you choose. And happy hunting!

Too many good ones out there. But if it helps, I have a Nikon Pro Staff 2-7 x 32 on mine. Been on there for years now and it seems to be a perfect fit for a ML. But Im sure I could be convinced that there is something better out there.  Good luck…LOL!

I have 3x9x40 Nikon Monarchs on all my rifles including my T/C Encore. I wouldn't hesitate to put any of the Nikon line on any of my guns.

I have never looked thru a Vortex scope but have heard good things about them. The Vortex mentioned earlier might be a good choice at $150.

Good luck with whatever scope you pick!

I have this scope in 3x9 on my MZ.  Optics are excellent, doesn't fog and has held zero for the last two seasons despite some bumping.  Its not one of the major names, but I would not change it for a more expensive scope.  I have owned some very high end scopes, but for the money, I am very pleased with it.  You can get it cheaper if you shop around too.

http://hi-luxoptics.com/index.php/riflescopes/toby-bridges-muzzleloader.html

Edited by moog5050

• 3 weeks later...