Looking for recommendations on a truck

Caveman

Ok, guys.  I'm getting ready to start test driving new trucks and I'd like to get some real-world feedback on the different models available. I've been scouring truck forums and reading up on the professional reviews, but I'd like a reliable everyman's point of view.  I know the age-old Chevy vs Ford debate has the potential to be even more hostile than the antler restriction discussion so let's try not to get too worked up.  I'm considering a half-ton from among any of the major brands (Ford, Chevy. GMC, Ram, or Toyota).  So, if you wouldn't mind sharing, what truck do you drive, what do you like/not like about it, and what would you recommend?

Also, if you have any experience with the newer Fords, what is your opinion on the 3.5 ecoboost vs 5.0.  I hear the ecoboost is a beast under a load, but I have my concerns with its long-term reliability.   

Dodge just plain no. I have had bad luck with them and just a hassle from warranty work. Also the fasted set of breaks gone through ever on a new vehicle. Blew a transmission on my last one like 500 miles over warranty.... F them...

Toyota makes a nice truck. So does Nissan for that matter. Have had both as work trucks and a Nissan personally and toughest truck I ever had. I just have an issue still with not buying American so... 

GMC Chevy is my go to truck. Have had 3 in a row now. Best deal for the price in my opinion. Solid truck, minimal problems with any of them.

The only one I have not had is a Ford and keep going to buy one but the prices compared to a Chevy are just stupid. Chevy I can always make a good deal and can't get a Ford within 7-8 grand of the price so I won't even bother. I would love a Raptor though if I had 60 grand to throw away!! Also with the Ford, stand back on the side of the box and try to put something in or out of it...they look cool and high but man if they get much higher you'll need to get a ladder to use the bed!!

I was always a chevy guy, but bought a ford and love it.  No issues so far with 42k miles (except a warped rotor that was covered and probably warped due to the dealer over-tightening the lugs - just a guess though). Can't comment on the difference between the eco boost and 5.0 but hear most like the eco boost.

Edited by moog5050

Thanks for the input, Fletch.  I'm primarily between the Chevy and the Ford.  I like the newer body style on the Toyotas, and my old man's Tundra has been good to him, but it's 2015 and they still haven't figured out how to make a quality-feeling interior.  I think you're right on the Ford being expensive.  I was surprised to see Ford extending their 0% for 72 months to the F150 line this summer.  The only reason I've resolved not to care so much about that is because I intend to drive this truck until the wheels fall off, so I've decided to go with the one I truly want rather than the one that is necessarily the best deal (within reason). 

I was always a chevy guy, but bought a ford and love it.  No issues so far with 42k miles (except a warped rotor that was covered and probably warped due to the dealer over-tightening the lugs - just a guess though). Can't comment on the difference between the eco boost and 5.0 but here most like the eco boost.

Which one did you go with if you don't mind me asking?

My family has done well with Ford pickups, both the F150's and the now discontinued Rangers.   Dodges seemed Ok.  Don't have any of the more recent models with ECO-Boost in the family yet.

We always had issues with any Chevy/GMC products (pick or car) that we bought, so we have stayed way from them for the past couple of decades.

That being said, a friend of ours still has the same GMC pickup for 30 years - of course there is a steel plate in the bed to cover a hole that watermelons could fall through.

My understating of the Nissan trucks is they are horrible on gas mileage, but are sturdy.

Toyota 4X4 TRD models are supposed to be very good off-road, giving Jeeps a real run for the money.  The Toyota trucks are built in US.  So they are American made, just not an by American owned company.

Dodge now makes the 2.7L ecodiesel that still has a towing capacity of around 9600 lbs, Fletch. People are reporting 29 mpg. Of course, with the $8k price tag on the diesel engine over the gas, you'd have to drive approximately 300k miles at today's gas prices to break even. lol

Edited by Wildcats160

I drove gm ford and ram. The ram was the most comfortable, best looking truck in my opinion. The 5.7 hemi is 395 hp with an 8 speed transmission, best driving truck I've owned. Gm's are gutless , fords 5.0 is nice but only a little over 300 hp. The ecoboost was nice but it didn't sound like I was driving a truck. Never looked at a yota.

My last 4 trucks were fords, and before that chevy and gmc. My 2014 ram is the nicest yet. No problems in the 18 months I have owned it. After taking delivery of my ram, I went to Pennsylvania. Got just over 20 mpg and that was going right around 75 mph.

Test drive them all. The deals keep getting better on the 15's the closer you get to the 16'coming out. 10 grand off a truck shouldn't be a problem this time of year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over the years I have had 3 Chevys, 1 GM, 2 Dodge, and 2 Fords. All half tons and all 4x4's. I currently have a 2008 Nissan Titan 4x4 that I bought new in 08. It is by far the best truck I have ever owned. Zero real problems until a little over 80k, then I had to do front wheel bearings.  Tie rod ends at about 90k. I have 110k now and it runs and drives perfect.

I am good about maintenance though. Synthetic oil every 6k,,,transmission service every 25-30k.

If my Titan had a jock,….. Chevy, GM, Ford or Dodge couldn't hold it...

I drove gm ford and ram. The ram was the most comfortable, best looking truck in my opinion. The 5.7 hemi is 395 hp with an 8 speed transmission, best driving truck I've owned. Gm's are gutless , fords 5.0 is nice but only a little over 300 hp. The ecoboost was nice but it didn't sound like I was driving a truck. Never looked at a yota.

My last 4 trucks were fords, and before that chevy and gmc. My 2014 ram is the nicest yet. No problems in the 18 months I have owned it. After taking delivery of my ram, I went to Pennsylvania. Got just over 20 mpg and that was going right around 75 mph.

Test drive them all. The deals keep getting better on the 15's the closer you get to the 16'coming out. 10 grand off a truck shouldn't be a problem this time of year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do agree the Dodge has had the best look out of them all for quite a few years now. Between my friends, family and myself out of about 5 of them we have all sworn off them though just have not had good luck with them.

Have had new of all 3 Dodge, Chevy and Ford...Fords were good and they honored their warranties...Chevy the same...Dodge never again...tranny problems and they do not honor their warranty IMO ...and if your tranny is starting to go and you take it in close to end of warranty they will say nothing is wrong ..then say to bad and won't let you contact any one PITA...Any whoo thats my real world....Oh Ford...their paint jobs weren't very good..but admittedly that was years ago

Dodge just plain no. I have had bad luck with them and just a hassle from warranty work. Also the fasted set of breaks gone through ever on a new vehicle. Blew a transmission on my last one like 500 miles over warranty.... F them...

Toyota makes a nice truck. So does Nissan for that matter. Have had both as work trucks and a Nissan personally and toughest truck I ever had. I just have an issue still with not buying American so... 

GMC Chevy is my go to truck. Have had 3 in a row now. Best deal for the price in my opinion. Solid truck, minimal problems with any of them.

The only one I have not had is a Ford and keep going to buy one but the prices compared to a Chevy are just stupid. Chevy I can always make a good deal and can't get a Ford within 7-8 grand of the price so I won't even bother. I would love a Raptor though if I had 60 grand to throw away!! Also with the Ford, stand back on the side of the box and try to put something in or out of it...they look cool and high but man if they get much higher you'll need to get a ladder to use the bed!!

I could have almost wrote the same thing. :)

Dodge - no. Never owned one, but several friends have and there were always major problems. It's a "ford vs chevy" debate for a reason. :)

Toyota - sure they might make a nice truck but, c'mon. Toyota? I'd go Dodge before I went foreign.

I am on my fourth Ford pickup. First was a 150. Next was a 350. Next two were 250s. Loved 'em all. Never a major problem. They have reliable towed myself and my horses many, many miles.

Odd that I have had an opposite pricing experience with Ford vs. Chevy. Ford - for the configuration I need - has always come out a little less expensive. Also much easier to get the "tow package" whereas Chevy always broke it out into several different items (TBC, transmission cooler, etc.).

On the bed height... Ford has s retractable step built into the tailgate. A close friend has a Chevy pickup and that was the one feature he actually admitted Ford has over Chevy.

I almost went Chevy on my last truck. Ford, however, had considerably more legroom in the back seat of the "crew" cab. That was the deciding factor.

Ford also has the "My Touch" touchscreen panel on new models (finally in the super duty series). That's a pretty cool feature.

Ford or Chevy you can't go wrong. I would suggest test drive each and price them out with the features you like/want. It really comes down to personal preference.

Edited by jrm

all i can do is give you my opinion on gmc trucks i do not and will not own a ford as for gmc nobody can touch the fuel economy i have the 5.3 with active fuel management it spend more time in 4 cylinder mode than 8 i had an 09 4 door half ton that would carry over 3000 pounds with no problem and yes i had the load on a scale i have yet to load my current 2014 but it hauls my 17 foot deep v from hyde park to champlain and back on one 26 gallon tank thats 330 miles round trip and you dont even know its there eco boost is just a word no other brand has ever had a motor that can touch the gmc or chevy motor my current motor is 355 horse trust me you dont need any more than that 

It's funny you mention not needing more than 355 horse.  I have the same attitude in the truck world many here have in terms of rifles.  A .30-30 will do anything the majority of people here will need it to, yet some still insist on a .300WM.  They have justifications, but most probably aren't very realistic.  I have a 5500 lb dual axle trailer to tow a few times a year and I want to have a boat (~18 ft) in the next few years.  Any half ton truck will realistically do what I need it to in that regard, yet when I hear that Ford's 5.0 has a max tow capacity of 9,500 lbs my first thought is "but what if it isn't enough!" lol

What ever truck you deside on getting Do Not skimp out ,Get the Trailer Towing Package . You get things that will cost a lot more latter on down the road.

At one time I had a Dodge Dekota with the 318 , auto trans. and tow package and we towed my sons 67 GTO  3000+ car  on an open trailer , with a bed full of tools ,jacks and fuel..To the drag strips all over NY, NJ and PA. With out any problems.

• Like 1

I find the comments sort of the exact opposite of what my experience has been. Chevy are 80k vehicles before they turn to a pile of junk. Played that game many times, last Chevy I had once I hit 60k I had the following fail, transmission, upper and lower ball joint,left and right wheel bearings, rear differntial gears, water pump, alternator the list just goes on and on. I have several friends and family who are diehard chevy guys, and they all trade up before 60k miles for a reason. Ford I have little experience and wont comment. Toyota no friggin way, Remember Pearl Harbor? Dodge is the only brand I will ever own again period. They been far the most reliable, longest lasting and even with 300k they still ride nice. I have replaced less parts on the last 3 dodges I owned with all at or close to 300k than 1 single chevy with 80k. My current truck Im again pushing 300k and I have replaced 1 wheel bearing last month and 1 ujoint in the drive shaft. Thats it other than general replacement stuff like brakes oil etc. I have a friend whos last new Chevy the rear axle broke out of it driving down the highway when it was new, the replacment the left rear caliper broke out of it again driving down the highway and destroyed the rim and tire. Just look at Chevys recall numbers, they far exceed all other manufacturers combined. Yet people cant swallow there pride and go buy another. Compare things such as suspension between the 2, Chevy 1/2 ton 3 leaf springs,Dodge 5. Look at the 4 wheel drive axle shafts. I have never had a single warranty issue either.

Wow keep my trucks / cars for as long as I can I have only owned one non GM product & that was a subaru beater Most my GM's have had close to or over 200,000 miles with no major issues but one transmission went on my 88 Chevy but was a plow truck before I owned it. My 2004 Chevy Avalanche is over 100,000 miles & going strong I bought last year with 70,000 on it. I probably have it 10 more years

they are all good one day & crap the next if you maintain them properly they will take care of you except Dodge, Ford J/K

Ford F 150.   with the 5.0   Ive had 6 straight fords and never had an issue. The mechanics are great, only issues ever are with the bells and whistles of a loaded up truck

My Ford F-150. New King Pinion, 3 vacuum hubs, Vacuum pump. plug blown out through aluminum head, rear end rebuilt. 3 tensioner pulleys on the Serpentine belt. Oh and that was all prior to 60,000 miles.

• Like 2

HAHA I am 44 years old put 30,000 a year on & yes I off road & I am not the easiest on my rig.  Have had them since I was 16years old but I do maintain them regularly

some people have good luck with certain brands.  My wife had great luck with Dodge vehicles