A Push to Split NY State

How would this affect real estate taxes? I live in northern westchester just a few miles from Putnam county which we be a separate state according To the article.

In reality, this will never happen, let's be serious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How would this affect real estate taxes? I live in northern westchester just a few miles from Putnam county which we be a separate state according To the article.

In reality, this will never happen, let's be serious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

our taxes upstate would change to no noticeable degree I'd imagine.  anything south of the border.... may governing powers of taxation for NYC have mercy on your soul! haha  difference of cost for anything between NYC (including your "upstate" area) and the rest of the state is disgusting.

I would take my chances with even higher taxes because I believe it would be short term. There actually would end up being jobs creation and upstate would be attractive to manufacturing again. larger tax base and it would result in lower taxes in long term. Not to mention a different approach to mandated programs.

• Like 1

Does the Federal Govt, have a say in this? I would love to see it but realize it would be a long shot of all long shots. I kind of see it as almost two issues. What are the needed step in NY for this to take place and what has to happen for the Fed's to recognize the change?

Yes they do. Aside from intra-state processes, Congress must approve the new state. That is one of the big reasons this will never happen.

Splitting the state into two means another two U.S senators are created. Common thinking is that congress will never allow another two senators from the Northeast because we already have so many.

There is an alternate plan floating around which would keep NY as one state, but break us up into two districts. Each district would have its own government, with Albany effectively reduced to a small administrative body. Proponents of this plan claim it is more attainable than a 51st state while providing all the advantages of splitting into two. (I'm skeptical on that claim).

Info on the regional proposal can be found here: http://www.newamsterdamny.org

Does the Federal Govt, have a say in this? I would love to see it but realize it would be a long shot of all long shots. I kind of see it as almost two issues. What are the needed step in NY for this to take place and what has to happen for the Fed's to recognize the change?

50's just a good even number. that would be their argument. Plus 2 more senators etc. etc.

We could just "donate" NYC and surrounding to New Jersey. No new state created, just a shift.

Trouble is Jersey probably doesn't even want them. :-)

fwiw, that city generates a lot more money than the rest of the state combined. Their lifestyle isn't for me and their way of thinking generally doesn't mesh with the rest of the states. But it's the only part of the state where the population isn't shrinking.

• Like 1

fwiw, that city generates a lot more money than the rest of the state combined. Their lifestyle isn't for me and their way of thinking generally doesn't mesh with the rest of the states. But it's the only part of the state where the population isn't shrinking.

which I think would change if we didn't have the burden of the city's 'thoughtfulness". The resources, talent pool and infrastructure without the hassle of transportation issues many areas have, would make it a good draw to business if the tax burden wasn't as high. Mandates are choking upstate.

• Like 2

I am all for this one. I would be all for a 3 part split. WNY, NY, SNY. Maybe a tax hike, but I am sure it would level out at some point. 

From a hunting aspect, I am all for it. New York and Southern New York. I say Southern because those counties are South, not East in true retrospect. But, on the hunting side, won't that mean that all the Southern NY's will have to pay 'out of state' license fees to hunt NY unless you own land and actually have a legal residence in NY and pay taxes, get mail, and pay bills? Would a lease on land count as resident? It would have to right? Leasing is like renting but with a contract.