Rocky soil Implements for a 32hp tractor

I recently got a 1/2 acre spot ready for a friends woodlot.  we used a 10ft 3pt spring harrow.  It worked great at turning the first 2-3 inches of soil and loosened up the rocks so I didn't have to fight them out of the ground when hand picking them.

I thought this might be the ticket for the perfect one thing does it all food plot maintenance for clover, cereals grains, and maybe turnip plots. 

I don't have any experience with discs on rocky soil that hasn't been picked yet.  I got a cheesy set of 3ft tow behind single row discs, but these might be a good bit different than a 6ft 3pt disc setup.

I am haggling for a 40 acre spot near me with similar soil.  I may do a 2-3 acre food plot there in a brushy overgrown field.   However, I may just leave my 2wd 18hp Kubota there and get a separate implement for it.  My SUV and single axle trailer can't handle the 32hp tractor, but it can for the 18hp one.

This is what I used to make that plot with.

http://www.tractorshed.com/gallery/uptest/a17690.jpg

I was thinking of this for the 32hp tractor.  A 6ft s tine cultivator with 13 tines.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200326154_200326154?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Farm%20%2B%20Acreage%20%3E%203-Point%20Category%201%20Implements&utm_campaign=King%20Kutter&utm_content=256105&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=256105&gclid=CKDmpZydzMcCFYgBaQodILAJxQ

And this for the 18hp one.  A 4ft C tine cultivator with 5 tines.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200311205_200311205?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Farm%20%2B%20Acreage%20%3E%203-Point%20Category%201%20Implements&utm_campaign=King%20Kutter&utm_content=256015&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=256015&gclid=CLal-sedzMcCFQ-raQodNm4BrQ

I have a 2x14" plow for the 32hp and 1x12" plow I welded onto the frame of a 4ft backblade.

Also, if you recommend disc cultivators, do you recommend the smooth front disc or the toothy type.  Also, do you add weight to the discs.   MY tractor is hydrostatic, so it only puts 24hp to the wheels versus a few more with the manual shift model.  Think a 6ft double row be fine.  My track is 6'3" wit the tires on the wider setting, it's loaded with beet juice, and I typically take the loader off when using it at my homesite food plot on the side of a mountain.

Edited by sailinghudson25

I've got very rocky soil around me.  I've used my C tine cultivators with my 17HP Kubota B7200D with great results.  unless you've got to cross a creek or banks you can get in to areas that you normally couldn't without a compact utility tractor.  the tines give and don't hang up on rocks.  plows really don't with smaller setups.  easier to break.  4' tillers work better and faster but in rocky soil you tend to break tines a lot.  some of those smaller foreign brand tillers are harder to find parts.

I have a 6ft disc and have shown pics of the rocks I have...more rock than soil and its shale...disc works fine ..but in shale ...it breaks it up into smaller sharper rocks...I have a york rake I use in the spring to row rocks and pick them up...but it takes years to clean a field and I still pick the bigger rocks out by hand....My disc has front cutting wheels and smooth back ones...if you go with a disc just remember THEY NEED GREASING and really more often than most do it...I grease mine a few times a season and then in the that fall before putting it away..never broke a disc.

wait until you get a rock stuck between the discs.  also if you pick up discs and they don't have clean outs to keep dirt from building up between the discs then make some for them.  long heavy crow bar is good to have if you have discs, especially for bigger ones.

• Like 1

I've tried everything on my rocky hard pan soils. The best solution that I have found is to initially use a two bottom plow to loosen the first 10"s of ground then disc to even out the hilled rows. I use my chisel plow with springs on each tooth every year after. I'm still picking rocks after 15 years but they are getting smaller  :D

• Like 1

Lordy been there and done THAT...especially when I get into a clay/moist area...split the old knuckles a few times...I think they could hear my foul mouth in the next county when that happens...It's only between two back disc blades and in the worst awkward spot.. NEVER let it sit either...because it WILL get rock hard...always keep an eye on things when discing.. ;)

Edited by growalot

I use a six foot still tine spring reset tiller in my driveways, LOL.. Make a few passes, lowering to your desired tilling depth. Traded for my last one, quite a few years ago for a buck and a quarter. My Ford 8n will pull it at 22hp., so I would think your 18 should. Then hit it with the disc. Grab a loader tractor and pick away.

Agreed with the C tine cultivators. I use them first, then pick the "big" rock and then have a 8" pull behind 2 row disc i use with my 28hp cat.. as long as its not to wet my tractor pulls it fine with the r4's. 

Ive got a lot and a lot of shale and such here in steuben. years to get it all out.. the tiller is no good until the rocks are out. 

let em grow... if you have a shale bed on the surface (bed rock) making It suitable planting soil is a long procsess. However rocky soil can be turned with a tiller with no more problems then plowing/disc. in many situations you aren't rolling as much dirt, usually only 4 to 6 inches with a tiller instead of the 12 to 18in with a plow or subsoiler... less dirt turned.. less rocks to deal with. your also done in half the time because you make half the number of passes. my tiller has passed grape fruit sized rocks and dinner plate slabs with out skipping a beat. so don't dismiss ideas because you don't use them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I use a cub cadet 28hp diesel hydro sub compact (20+- hp @ pto), so im somewhat limited with choices on implements. I haven't dismissed any idea, I would try it all if the tractor can handle it... I have used my 4' king kutter through several types of soil, from nice Wayne county to rocky Steuben, and have sent a ton of rock even the size of dinner plates(on accident), through the tiller. I just don't like the idea of sending rock that big through my tiller, its rough.. and i haven't had the chance to pick all the rock, so i offered my opinion/experience with it... I Use my discs and such on new plots and use my tiller on established plots that have been cleaned up some..

I enjoy food plotting as much or more than hunting sometimes, and don't mind making the extra passes. Especially if it keeps the abuse down on my equipment.

• Like 1