Hunting Sterling Forest

Uptown Redneck

Just remember to apply for your hunting permit early if you plan to hunt deer opening weekend there.

No guns until after Nov. 1 in Sterling.

When you get your Sterling Forest permit, they provide a map of the allowed hunting areas and restricted areas (either no-hunting, or archery-only areas).

I recommend purchasing a trail map - it provides more info on the terrain (elevations, streams, swamps, etc) and shows the trails, roads, and parking areas (including the seasonal parking areas as in deer season and Spring Turkey).

Every year, there are a few bears taken during Deer gun season, saw one opening morning not far from where I had spotted a 6-pointer while pre-scouting last year.  Since the bear went through - no deer came through that spot :(

Depending on where you go there, you may see hikers and dogs off-leash, so be aware.  Same day I saw the bear and I was heading out for lunch, I had to pause a watch the trail as something tall and black-looking was upright by a tree - turned out to be a hiker in a navy blue coat and black knit hat.

A week later saw someone let yellow labs off-leash during deer season (never-mind the 6-ft leash required at all times law that is posted).

We may cross paths there some time.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Note the traffic may be heavy getting there this time of year on the weekends - nice weather means people hitting the trails and the Renaissance Fair is on (RT 17A in Sterling Forest). I suggest going to the visitor center by cutting over in Sloatsburg.

NY State Thruway Exit 15.  at bottom of ramp turn left.

take exit ramp off of Rt 17 just after Davis Sport Shop.

a few miles down the road turn right onto Long Meadow Road (at  a traffic light "T" intersection)

A few miles up the road on the left is the entrance road to the visitor center.  Think the second right takes you to the visitor center lot.  FYI  It looks like a private road in the woods.

If you have you hunting license with you, you can fill-out the form for the hunting permit while you are there at the information desk.

Take a peek at the 3D table map with the trails on it.  Might provide helpful for navigation later.

I'm going to be in southern Sterling Forest all this season.  There's definitely tons of hunting space if you're willing to hump in a bit.  I usually park over at East Shore Road on Greenwood Lake and go in from there and set up close to the Jersey state line.  Last year I saw a couple of bucks, I passed them in the hope they matured some for this season.  I also saw a ton of does and maybe half dozen yotes.   Saw a good amount of bear tracks but didn't actually see the animal.   There were a couple of guys on quads coming over from the Jersey side some late afternoons but they didn't bother me none.

Good luck to everyone hunting there :)

Edited by Black Bellamy

• 2 weeks later...

What's the model of your Garmin?

http://www.basspro.com/Garmin-GPSMAP-64s-Handheld-GPS-Unit/product/1401291127/

I have the st though not the s. So it includes terrain. Had a great sale last year which included the aerial maps 1 year subscription and a protective case for $250. They seem to go on sale regularly so wait for a good sale, or do a google search to find it cheaper. I've used it for a deer and turkey season plus some scouting this summer and wont leave home without it. it's an amazing tool.

You can probably get an app for  your phone for cheaper, but it'll be useless with a dead battery or poor cell service.

http://www.basspro.com/Garmin-GPSMAP-64s-Handheld-GPS-Unit/product/1401291127/

I have the st though not the s. So it includes terrain. Had a great sale last year which included the aerial maps 1 year subscription and a protective case for $250. They seem to go on sale regularly so wait for a good sale, or do a google search to find it cheaper. I've used it for a deer and turkey season plus some scouting this summer and wont leave home without it. it's an amazing tool.

You can probably get an app for  your phone for cheaper, but it'll be useless with a dead battery or poor cell service.

Thanks Belo, will check it out.

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, Michael baez Sr said:

Any one had any luck for opening day regular season 2019 in sterling state forest park 

Not on the opening day, but I got a huge doe last Saturday Nov 23. And I remembered also a doe that I got on Nov 23, 2017. Didn't hunt on 2018. Same location. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...