Shed season 2010 - 2011

WNYBuckHunter

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My uncle shot what he thought was a big doe the last week of muzzleloader. Imagine his suprise to see two huge bloody spots on top of his head. He thinks it might be the 10 point hes been after all season by how big the holes are. Hope its not, hes really bumed over it. I haven't seen deer drop antlers this early in a long time. I have only seen one earlier and that was last week of gun one of my other uncles shot a baby 4 point that had already lost a side and when he went to drag away on the other one that one fell off also. Maybe I can get out this weekend.

Found a  4 pt (mainframe 8) shed the last Saturday morning of reagular firearms season.

I think that the two sheds appear to be from different years. The biggest clue would be the staining on one and the bleaching effect on the other. The staining is likely new, while the beleached one is likely from last year. Brow tine difference and chewing as well, plus bases seem different size, although that's nothing more than a secondary list to think they are from different years.

On the last weekend of the muzzleloader season I shot at a decent eight-point in a field and missed. He ran towards me and stood about 50 yards away and I saw he only had one horn (so I didn't try to reload and shoot him. Should be a nice buck next year.) He started nodding his head and then the left horn flew off, spun three times in the air and landed in the snow. I couldn't find it that evening, but did the next morning. Here it is...

But it didn't fall off. He started nodding his head and threw it off. And then he jumped sideways like a fawn does almost glad to be rid of it....here it is when I found it the next morning, before I picked it up.

post-480-131455395765_thumb.jpg

He started nodding  his head and threw it off. And then he jumped sideways like a fawn does  almost glad to be rid of it...

He was glad to be rid of it because he knew he would have a better chance of not being shot! :)    Can you imagine that thing growing out of your head and then it gets loose.I wonder if it is as bad as when I was a kid and had a loose tooth.Couldn't wait till it finally came out!

Was out goose hunting Sunday and had 5 deer in the same field as us. Well today my friend was hunting that same field for geese on my property today and there where 5 deer again, he got out the binoculars and 3 of the 5 where bucks. There was a 4 Pt, 6 Pt and a 8pt. Already looking forward to next deer season..

About a week ago I saw a big buck bedded in a field, there were two other bucks with him, one had both horns, one had only one horn, and the big guy that was bedded had those big 50 cent piece size red spots on his head. 'Course I backed out of there, hoping he will make it through until next year.

That buck that tossed his antler, it was a pretty surreal experience. I wondered at night a bit if it was real or not, since I couldn't find it. Who would believe me if I didn't have the horn? When I showed my buddies, the base was still pinkish red from the blood. Already, it is just about all white with a bit of brown, just a hint of pink left and it has only been a little over a week.

Took me two hours the next morning, starting at dawn....it was 4 degrees F. Followed every track in that big field, over and over....finally found it. If someone saw me, they would have thought I was nuts....and they are right! width=17 height=17 alt=Grinhttp://huntingny.com/forums/Smileys/akyhne/grin.gif[/img] I was very lucky it did not snow that night.

Well, found my first shed of the year this afternoon...a decent 4-pt. side that appears to be from a 2.5 year old buck.  I wan't out of my truck for 5 minutes when I spotted it. I looked for a couple more hours with no luck.  I think that a majority of the bucks are still wearing their antlers. The deer have been hitting this alflafa field hard, it's just a matter of time before there are more sheds out there.  The neighbor saw two monsters out here the other day, I don't want to pressure them out of the area before they drop their bones.  My goal is to find 15 sheds...one down...14 to go!!!

Cover as much ground as you can as often as you can. The best days I have found have been sunny days after a snowfall and when the snow is melting or right after its all gone. Use binos so you can cover more ground visually rather than walking every inch and wear a comfy pair of boots.

I like an overcast day like right after a rain or when snow has melted and everything is wet.  The right combination of 'glisten' without glare, makes them stand right out.  2 yrs ago I found a bunch in Feb, last yr I think they held them longer near me and I think I found most of mine in late march or early april.

It can be hard to spot them in cut corn, but I think the stubble helps knock them off, and often its where the deer are eating that time of yr. 

2 yrs ago I think the winter was harder than last and I found 4 in what amounts to an apple orchard where they were pounding the buds on the branches.  Last yr we hardly had snow here and the buds were not touched, and no sheds nearby. 

Well, I've been out a few more times since breaking the ice on my first shed of the year on 1/2.  Currently, I'm only checking out food sources and haven't added any more antlers to the collection despite plenty of deer sign.  On the way home from work last night I spotlighted the alfalfa/cornfield where I've concentrated my efforts thus far...there were a bunch of deer out there.  They didn't hang around very long but I could make out at least two big bucks and a small buck that were still packing.  I also checked another field on the other end of the farm and there were 20 deer or so out there too.  Again, they quickly hauled tail for the woods but I had enough time to make out one really nice buck, another nice one that looked like he was missing one side and several smaller ones.  Based on these sightings and recent trail cam pics, I think that I'm gonna have to be patient and give it a few more weeks before I get into the shed hunting hot and heavy.  At least this snow is making the deer congregate on the food sources which is always a plus when looking for sheds. The good new is that there should be some nice antlers laying around in the near future...

i would love to do some shed hunting but the deer around the farm i hunt dont usually get really big do to a city guy that shoots anything he sees when he comes down during deer season.

Robinson, I think you summed up the situation for a lot of us here in NY!  ;D

i would love to do some shed hunting but the deer around the farm i hunt dont usually get really big do to a city guy that shoots anything he sees when he comes down during deer season.

Robinson, I think you summed up the situation for a lot of us here in NY!  ;D

haha. yeah well i would love to see the deer get bigger but dosnt look like it will happen anytime soon unless we can all start letting the deer grow!  :P