Shed season 2010 - 2011

WNYBuckHunter

Yeah but we have TOO MANY people that shoot the little skippies. I did shoot a spike this season so my brother could have meat in his freezer. It came down to the last day of the last hour of light so.. my brother jsut got his own appt. so i wanted to help him out cuz he didnt get a deer. I actually thought it was a doe. Looked alot bigger in the scope. and yes i know. look at the lenght of the face. Idid. Even my father thought it was a decent size doe. Oh well luckly i had tags.  :P

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would think Amherst would have alot of sheds seeing that they have so many deer. North Tonawanda is the same way, I understand. Alot of houses with acres of  rural growth for ideal  habitat with no hunting.  They eat so many peoples bushes and trees. Are alot of sheds  found by  homeowners in their back yards?

no sheds??

I'm heading out the door in a few minutes to do some looking around.  This snow has really made the deer yard up on the food sources.  I saw over 50 deer (around 20 or so bucks still packing antlers) feeding out in two small fields the other night on a farm that I shed hunt.  There were 12-15 bucks together last night out in the one little field that I'm going to check out today, including several really nice ones.  There may have been more that have already shed but it's kinda hard to get a good look at them this time of the year; they don't stick around very long once the spotlight hits them.  Anyways, I've got my fingers crossed that they all dropped their racks overnight in a big pile out in the middle of the field.  That would sure make it alot easier on me... 8) .

no sheds??

My hikes have been pretty low impact so far. Mostly to and from the cams with a little poking around the edges. Close to 3ft of snow here so I'm hoping wherever they are they will stay put until they all drop. Doing my best to be patient but this isn't like my style of old.

I've got a few areas I'm planning to just leave alone till spring thaw that wont see any competition from other shedhunters. Counting on these areas to be my bread and butter this year.

Once we get a little break in the weather, I'll take a trip to some state propperty I got to know pretty well last year that seemed to hold deer durring the drop. Sure it gets hit pretty hard by others but I did manage to pull one antler out of there very late last spring and beat myself up for not getting in there sooner.

It won't be long now and the floodgates will be open! ;D

Well, spent a couple of hours this morning scouring the alfalfa field where I saw all of the bucks last night.  Got there around 10:30 and the wind was really starting to pick up.  There were tons of tracks and beds all over the place.  I crisscrossed the field from end to end but didn't find a single shed out there so I ventured off just inside the woods in the background.  There were a bunch of beds in there, but again, I didn't come up with any sheds. By the time that I left @ 12:30 all the sign was erased.  I couldn't even see my tracks from an hour earlier any more!!!  Oh well, I got some good exercise.  Think that I'll leave it alone until next weekend and try my luck again.  The bucks are here, now it's just a matter of waiting for them to loose their headgear...

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

Went out for a little stroll this morning and found the hard, crusted snow way too much of a hassle to get around in.  Came across this little buttonbuck laying out in a field.  I actually found him frozen in the hedgerow in the background during my first shed hunt of the year on January 2nd.  Looks like the coyotes finally sniffed him out too...

IMG_0381.jpg

Scored on shed #2 today...not much size to it but its definately my freshest ever.  I believe that it was dropped last night.  You can see blood in the snow around it and a spot of frozen blood on one of the tines in the photos.  Finally, I broke the camera curse too, whenever I carry it I don't find squat.  Hopefully, the bigger ones are yet to come!  ;)

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0383tt.jpg

Did some spot lighting last night to check for head gear saw a decent 2.5 8pter and either a spike or 4 pter with him both still had there head gear on so I'll be waiting for a lil more snow to melt before I make any trips looking for sheds

Goodluck

CNY

How'd you know he is 2.5 years old?