Shed season 2010 - 2011

WNYBuckHunter

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I skinned the head out today.  Upon closer inspection it appears that the bullet went through the jaw on the one side and between the back of the jaw and spinal column on the other.  It's hard to tell if the hole in the jawbone is an entrance or an exit hole.  Either way, it appears that it wasn't a fatal hit and this poor guy probably ended up starving a few weeks later... :) .

Couple more pics:

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

Thats a bummer looks like someone tried to shoot him in the throat patch...too bad. Hoping for a melt down this weekend, have a 7 acre corn field to go thru where the trails look like century old goat paths entering and exiting it, just need to melt the 2 ft of snow out to make it a bit easier to find em'

Thats a bummer looks like someone tried to shoot him in the throat patch...too bad. Hoping for a melt down this weekend, have a 7 acre corn field to go thru where the trails look like century old goat paths entering and exiting it, just need to melt the 2 ft of snow out to make it a bit easier to find em'

:)  Likewise  ;D

Went for a walk on saturday thought there would be enough snow melted to find some sheds...  Boy was I wrong there were some areas that the snow was gone, but the main area's that I've been seeing deer in and where I wanted to check still had about of foot of snow.  Add to that the foot and a half that just got dumped on us I think its gonna be April by the time I get out there.  Hows everyone else making out?

CNY

searched for 2 hours today. Didn't find any sheds but a shit ton of beaten trails and deer crap. Also saw 6 deer at about 60 yards. They just stood there and watched me. Funny thing is that I had more/better shots today on deer than I did during the season. Great hike though. Very relaxing and good exercise.

searched for 2 hours today. Didn't find any sheds but a shit ton of beaten trails and deer crap. Also saw 6 deer at about 60 yards. They just stood there and watched me. Funny thing is that I had more/better shots today on deer than I did during the season. Great hike though. Very relaxing and good exercise.

Thats what I love about this time of year just walking through the woods relaxed and so are the deer so if ya spook them it doesn't matter...

CNY

I made it out to check a few fields today that have melted off.  Found #8, a respectable 2.5 year old 4-pt. side. The bigger bucks seem to have hidden their antlers from me pretty well.  Still too much snow in the woods to look.  Hopefully, I can add to the count over the weekend...

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

Here are some of my sheds from this season so far....

Do you look for your sheds in Mendon Ponds Park or do you have land around that area.  I found this one back at the end of December in the park while walking with the Mrs.

post-186-131455426666_thumb.jpg

Managed to snag #9 and #10 this afternoon.

Here's #10 with its tines buried in the mud...

IMG_0455.jpg

I was going over to check out some big rubs on the field edge when I nearly stepped on this one (right side).  I found the match across the road back at the end of January.  Was so shocked to see it laying there that I scooped it up before thinking about snapping a pic.  Oops... ::) .

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0459.jpg

Added 4 more today, bringing my total thus far to 14, just one short of my 15 shed goal.  Lots of ground to cover yet but I gotta wait for some more snow to melt first.

#11 was a pretty nice one.

IMG_0461.jpg

Sheds #12 & 13 were a matched set from last year that were laying 20 yds apart in a cut beanfield.  Too bad they got busted up by the tractor disc.  At least they weren't big ones...

IMG_0464.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

#14 was found on the edge of a combined cornfield while scouting out another new spot.  I know that there's more sheds out here, but man, I hate walking cornfields!!! 

IMG_0466.jpg

I was talking to a  neighbor and friend of mine this morning and he was telling me that the logger he has working the lot out back of his house had been seeing a big 10 point bedding in the same area all last week. He knew the buck was there because he had pictures of him before season on his trail cam, but had not seen him during season. This morning he took a walk down to the area to see if he could see him. He jumped a big deer from it's bed , but could not see any antlers, so he walked over to the bed and there laid the buck's sheds . The bases where still red, so he must have dropped last night or this morning. Some guys have all the luck. I am going over to his house in a day or two to see them. He tells me that they are the biggest he has ever found.

I went out on Sat down here on Long Island and found 5. I also went out for a few hours yesterday upsate but still too much snow. Then today i went out in putnam county but only had about two hours to look and came up empty handed.  Here are my finds from Sat.

Here was the first set that i found about 10 minutes into my hike.

5135ff46.jpg

the second one i found was from 2 years ago but was still in decent shape

bc48709c.jpg

not long after finding #2 i came across the third forth find of the day a nice 5 point

d9b35b5a.jpg

d198f714.jpg

As i was going down the same tail i found number 5 for the day a year and a half old 4 point.

affd3f9b.jpg

ffafb28f.jpg

and here the all are safe and sound back in my home loll hopefully this weekend i will have some more luck.

0e1beab6.jpg

I also hunted with my buddy for coyotes yesterday and i missed one at a full run and had a shot at another but was in line with me and another hunter so i didnt take the shot.  We got 4 all together yesterday and it was a great day in the woods.

b2261b06.jpg

John

Went out Sunday and criss crossed the fields with my daughter and found zip. Deer tracks an manure all over the place just no bone. Still to much snow in the woods along the fields, probably about a foot. Warming up this week so hopefully it will get better over the next couple of weeks.