Caught him

chiefbkt

I have videos of this buck for the last 5 weeks and every one was in the middle of the night. Well he finally showed up during daylight hours. Any guesses on the age of this fella? Sorry for the link, can't upload pictures straight to the forum any longer.

http://s952.photobucket.com/user/Chiefbkt/library/Mobile%20Uploads?sort=3&page=1

• Like 3

not quite sure.  3.5 or maybe 4.5 yrs old.  leaning toward 3.5 yrs old.  it looks like he's not as filled out at his hooks and pins so seems heavier in the front despite not have so much of a tapered look.  he'll tighten up and burn some of it off by mid November.  the brisket into the neck doesn't blend as much as you normally see in a 4.5 yr old.

not quite sure.  3.5 or maybe 4.5 yrs old.  leaning toward 3.5 yrs old.  it looks like he's not as filled out at his hooks and pins so seems heavier in the front despite not have so much of a tapered look.  he'll tighten up and burn some of it off by mid November.  the brisket into the neck doesn't blend as much as you normally see in a 4.5 yr old.

Where have you seen that many 4.5yo bucks that you knew for sure were 4.5yo? 

What are hooks and pins?

Where have you seen that many 4.5yo bucks that you knew for sure were 4.5yo? 

What are hooks and pins?

QDM co-ops in the harvest bucks that old.  have trail camera pictures, history, harvest them, and then send the teeth out for confirmation.  I'm not as good at aging as some of the others in the group.  we (mostly they) are constantly gathering this info and putting together "Aging On the Hoof" seminars.  hooks and pins are terms more associated with livestock and say dairy farmers.  not really deer.  basically I'm referring to his whole hind quarters.  hooks are the hip bones on the top and pins are the bones pointing straight back off the top of the hams as you'd call them.  they're more visible in a dairy cow.

3.5 yr old grows more in the front as he needs that bulk there first.  at 4.5 a deer reached full skeletal maturity and fills out a bit more in the hams area.

Edited by dbHunterNY
  • Like 1

18yo and LEGAL in anyones book no matter what the restrictions.

If you're questioning him being a "shooter" or not, you nee to have your head examined,lol

My Lord, if that buck walks out in front of any of you and you don't pull the trigger don't blame me when I do.

That dudes got some serious beam length that would look good over any of our mantels..... or barn rafters.

• Like 4

Pathetic brute in farm country with plenty of food available that is rich in sustenance. Very nice 2.5

Typical 3.5 that made it through last winter ok amazingly.

Or a 4.5 that had a rough winter. 

Take your pick.  I would pick the brown spot behind the shoulder.  3.5  

Nice buck Chief!  Do us all a favor and get him so we can see the results!  Good luck he is a beauty! 

• Like 1

18yo and LEGAL in anyones book no matter what the restrictions.

If you're questioning him being a "shooter" or not, you nee to have your head examined,lol

My Lord, if that buck walks out in front of any of you and you don't pull the trigger don't blame me when I do.

That dudes got some serious beam length that would look good over any of our mantels..... or barn rafters.

We mostly let the good bucks walk so we can shoot the great ones. He would look good over one of the young guys mantels and fill a void for one of the older fellas but for the middle group that guy would be one of the smaller ones hanging over the mantels,  

Thats the great thing about having choices.  Went down to the park last week..13 bucks standing in a field of about 30 deer, 2 awesome 10 points in the field 1/2 hour before dark.120 range  10 minutes before dark all their heads come out of the alfalfa and look into the woods..A brute steps out all of 140 plus. Split brows and G2's with stickers.  

A view like that is what makes one let a 120 walk.  Not everyone can do that..But have the choice to.

• Like 1

Me too but if he is 3-4 years old he is probably not going to do much more. Cant say i would burn the tag on him if he was here but would give the green light for one of the other guys.

Not good enough for you, but you get to decide what's good enough or "give permission" for others to go ahead?

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Yeah, that's a bit of a youngster. I kind of like to wait until their back sways down enough so the belly is dragging on the ground. And if they still have any teeth left, they have been taken way before their time. Also, that one still has way too much antler. They are not ready for harvest until they have begun to lose mass and points. I kind of like to see the legs starting to bow and buckle significantly too. But I guess that's only because I am such a great hunter that I only take the super-mature ones.

There .... how does that sound? .....  Anyone impressed yet .... ha-ha-ha. :beee:  :lol:

• Like 1

Not good enough for you, but you get to decide what's good enough or "give permission" for others to go ahead?

Yeah..When you manage your property for great deer some choices have to be made on what is killed and what is not.  He would be an awesome buck for a young or older hunter that most likely has never taken one of that size(Doc) or who's days are numbered by choice or not.(Doc) So on our 800 acres that would be a total of 4 people who may shoot that buck. For the rest of us..Nope he would not make the cut.  Gotta let em grow if you want to see and harvest the best the animal/Land has to offer!

Pathetic brute in farm country with plenty of food available that is rich in sustenance. Very nice 2.5

Typical 3.5 that made it through last winter ok amazingly.

Or a 4.5 that had a rough winter. 

Take your pick.  I would pick the brown spot behind the shoulder.  3.5  

Nice buck Chief!  Do us all a favor and get him so we can see the results!  Good luck he is a beauty! 

I'd agree with that. It's based on where he lives. But I don't agree that he's a 2.5 in any shape, form or location other than maybe 4 seasons pen ;)

I'd agree with that. It's based on where he lives. But I don't agree that he's a 2.5 in any shape, form or location other than maybe 4 seasons pen ;)

LOL...Yeah i dont see 2.5 myself but he is not sagging in the belly much either.  Just an FYI...Most 11/2 year old babies in 4 season's pens have that dude beat by a bunch. lol

• Like 1

Yeah..When you manage your property for great deer some choices have to be made on what is killed and what is not. He would be an awesome buck for a young or older hunter that most likely has never taken one of that size(Doc) or who's days are numbered by choice or not.(Doc) So on our 800 acres that would be a total of 4 people who may shoot that buck. For the rest of us..Nope he would not make the cut. Gotta let em grow if you want to see and harvest the best the animal/Land has to offer!

You want to see them grow.... But you'll allow someone else to shoot it. You do understand that a dead deer, won't grow, right?

• Like 1

LOL...Yeah i dont see 2.5 myself but he is not sagging in the belly much either.  Just an FYI...Most 11/2 year old babies in 4 season's pens have that dude beat by a bunch. lol

Most of us have no interest in shooting zoo deer in pens though so in the real world....... 

I would put him at 3.5 just not solid enough for a 4.5 in body. Nice deer and in one of my spots he would be dinner. If you have a big chunk of controlled land then I can see giving him another couple seasons and hope. At 5.5 he should be a doozy!

• Like 1