acorns are looking good...

We have 200 reds on our place..yes I counted them...all various ages...and no they all do not drop the same year...My main producers went crazy last year...but I have several others dropping this year and I found 2 new producers yesterday.... It's fun to see a tree just starting to produce fruit. It gives me something to keep an eye on for production and preference over the next several years. The acorns are different as well, greener and longer in the shape. The critters will eat well this fall..

We too have seen a lot of acorn and apples here. Unfortunately the deer won't touch red acorns in our woods until snow is on the ground and deep. They just don't like 'em all that much. Studies have shown that deer are 6 times less likely to eat red vs white acorns.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Edited by Papist

It is a case of availability...on this side of the valley we are red oak woods...very few whts..why? I haven't a clue on the other side of the valley they are mixed to more whites... Perhaps soil..or when they were logging these hills decades ago and floating the timber down the lakes, they just happened to have clear cut the mature producing wht oak and they never took again reds certainly grow faster...we also have a lot  of shale it may just be they way the glaciers deposited their debris as they past through?????

So one eats what one is use to I suppose...

Over the years I hear so many things...oaks will all cycle at the same time...ie as all reds on the same year...but with over 200 I can tell you..no..... so..... and yes I know my oaks..perhaps not subspecies with in but red vs wht yes...and I have some reds that produce nearly every year...very light 1-3 years then boom....also the early drop ...yes many are wormy but if you are getting lots of acorns very early...go squirrel hunting...ever notice the ends of branches all over...this is how the squirrels harvest...they gnaw off acorns and ends of branches for hours...then go down and collect a bunch from the ground...I have sat and watched it from my front yard and at camp......usually the big green have a full acorn in them and the browns I open have a wht grub....the deer know this as well...even though they are as bitter as they come...hey ever eat a buck thorn berry? Well those are far worse, but deer poo at camp is a deep purple in the snow come Nov.