Small Game Harvest Thread

Elmo

No, it doesn't work for squirrels. They're actually built to last. Tougher to kill, tougher to skin, & tougher to cut up.

Rabbits are like permanent veal. Pasty & tender. They're the sissies of the small game world, falling over at the first punch, & offering no resistance while someone rifles through their pockets. If they weren't dead, I'm sure they would cut & wrap themselves for you, & place their pieces neatly in freezer bags.

Squirrels? No sir. They'll fight to the death, sometimes even longer. They're like the guy you wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley. If squirrels were bigger, they'd do a lot more than bark at you while you sit in your stand, & you'd let them. They're put together like little mma fighters. All sinewy & mean lookin. Scars, & probably tatts, too.

Don't be tryin to squeeze a squirrels innards out his butt. It doesn't work.

• Like 1

we had dom and freinds hunt on our farm. they had a blast. the dogs found 27 pheasants. they missed a few and had plenty for a few nice dinners.

good hunting

DCOUTDOORS

http://WWW.HUNTFISHNY.COM

post-4867-0-01389700-1450224287_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Jesse and freinds came out to try thier hand at thier 1st pheasant hunt. They did amazingly well for thier 1st hunt. safe to say they are hooked!

Good Hunting!

DCOUTDDORS

post-4867-0-77667500-1450224562_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Martin came out for a morning hunt. He hasnt Pheasant hunted in over 20 yrs since comming to the US from Ireland. He had a blast watching the Dogs work. they found 14 pheasants he was able to kill 5.

Good Hunting!

DCOUTDOORS

post-4867-0-66125400-1450224942_thumb.jp

• Like 1

billys hunt was a success. the dogs found 11 birds bill was able to harvest 4 with his over under. 1 for the taxidermist. the rest for some delicious meals.

Good Hunting!

DC OUTDOORS

post-4867-0-49786000-1450225224_thumb.jp

Assuming these are all planted birds ? Pay per bird. Where you spin them to disorient , stuff under brush and then " hunt "? I'm sure I just opened a can of worms but it's just not my thing. Sorry. I understand there isn't many non stockers around anymore but it's like trout fishing in the hatchery pools IMO Saw a wild bird last week and put up a pair last year Wish they were around like I heard they were many many years ago.

Haven't shot at a squirrel all season, most years I kill about a dozen. Saw plenty during archery and NY rifle season, but they've all but disappeared from the woodlot behind my house where I've hunted them for the last 40 years...odd. I have an open invitation to hunt fox squirrels next year, but it will be a 4-hour drive. If I kill one I will get it mounted.

Edited by Uncle Nicky

Haven't shot at a squirrel all season, most years I kill about a dozen. Saw plenty during archery and NY rifle season, but they've all but disappeared from the woodlot behind my house where I've hunted them for the last 40 years...odd. I have an open invitation to hunt fox squirrels next year, but it will be a 4-hour drive. If I kill one I will get it mounted.

obviously coyotes for the decline ; )
  • Like 1

In pic #3, it looks like a spot of blood on the yellow dog's shoulder. Did he catch a pellet?

I consider myself pretty careful, but I've always been really paranoid about giving the dogs plenty of space from where I shoot. I hunted ducks over dogs a few times, but only hunted pheasants once. It was awesome. Good job!