what caliber got your first deer

45/70

First trigger pull, 40 yards with a 870 Remington with a scoped rifled slug barrel.  Jot the buck jitters and shaved his belly hairs.

The next season, a sloppy, but strangely humane shot with a 50 cal muzzleloader.  It was too far, about 140 yards, but got frustrated with no luck and took it.  The herd looked like they all ran off.  But, I ended up hitting one in the hip square in the fermual atery too.  It drop like a rock in a small dip in the hillside.  Kept looking for blood in the snow, nothing.  then tracked back my shot to see the bullet hole in the snow.  Dead button buck layed out in that dip.

A lot of deer has been harvested with muzzleloader and that one in particular.  I take most of my days from work for hunting in December for it.  Less people and snow cover.  Much easier to find a decent spot in unfamiliar territory, tracking game is easier, seeing deer is cover is easier, and more times than not, walking is much quieter too.

It was 1970, I was 17 yrs old, opening morning about 5 after 7, 7 pointer with my new Rem.870 Wingmaster, 12ga. 28" plain barrel, mod. choke with lead slugs. After dragging him out guessing 150-160lbs, 3-4 years old. On the way home stopped at a DEC check station, 125lbs and 19 months old! lol  So the learning curve began.

• Like 4

My first deer was a button buck in Allegheny State park back in the early 80's with a foster slug from my granddad's old, open-sighted, 16 ga, Ithaca model 37 "deerslayer" pump. A set of twins came barreling down a hill as fast as they could run. I lined up with an opening and shot at the lead one when they reached it. Looking back, and remembering a couple other times when I struggled after that with running shots, I think that the deer that folded up like a pheasant (struck perfectly thru the front shoulders) was probably the second deer.

A couple years later I took my first antlered buck (A busted up 7-point) with the same gun after mounting a scope on it. He was standing under my tree stand with his nose in a "tobacco juice" stain on the snow that I had been making since I got in the stand about an hour before sunrise. That seemed to hold his attention better than doe urine, and it was the last thing he ever smelled.

My first deer with a rifle (Ruger M77 .30/06, with 165 gr, Hornady "light-magnum" ammo) was a mule deer buck out in Colorado in the mid 90's. That will be the last one of those I ever shoot as they are horrible tasting compared to whitetails. I also don't care for the shape of their antlers compared to whitetails. I used the same gun, with a Federal "classic" 150 gr bullet, last fall on a big Adirondack buck. That was my first whitetail with a non-muzzle-loading rifle. We are eating that one right now and it tastes better than the finest beef.

I have lost count of the deer I killed with my T/C Omega 50 caliber ML, but I think the first was a huge doe which was the largest from a group of 6-8 antlerless deer. She stood broadside and fell in her tracks, at 75 yards. The rest of the group dispersed at the shot. Before I could reload, two bucks came up on her trail. This happened on opening day of gun season in a shotgun-only zone about 12 years ago. Fortunately I also had my Remington 870 pump with open sights on a short deer barrel. The smaller buck stood about 25 yards from my stand, while the larger one stood right next to the dead doe. He got to meet her up there in "deer heaven" when my 12 ga foster slug got him in the shoulder blade.

• Like 3

I do. It was my fathers. He bought it new in the '50s, not sure which year but it was an anniversary year with a gold trigger. It is my most prized possession

Very cool...They were only made a few years, like from 1955-1961 or something like that..

Very unique and very special shotgun, especially since it belonged to your Dad....

Yours was the middle weight..They made an all steel Standard weight, The Twelvette and the twentyweight.

Thy were one of only two 2 shot auto shotguns that I ever was aware of, the other being an Armalite that was made briefly in the early 60s..