what caliber got your first deer

45/70

My great uncle's 16 gauge Browning (pre-ww II vintage)

120 lb doe.  She dropped in her tracks on what was my grandparents farm from a single shot through the lungs. 

No pic's as I was in college and was not lugging around my 35 mm plus lenses for a Friday/Saturday hunt.

This was pre-cell phone and pre-digital camera days. The cutting edge meant having a 386 laptop computer.

Now that parcel is a housing sub-division with a mini-mart and library.  The place has changed in 25 years.

Use to be a peach orchard and apple orchard with 100 -120 yards of woods containing a spring in between the orchards.  It also had a stand of old Christmas trees that were left to grow for 30 years in one field corner.

The check-in station was just about across the road from one of my fraternity brothers that I pledged with.  Just didn't know that is where he lived at the time.

Well it seems to be my memory is like the rest of my body, failing.  :)

IIRC, I would have been using a Ithaca Model 37, smoothbore Deerslayer with a Leupold 2x Extended Eye Relief scope.  He was a dandy little 6pt buck......shot in Ontario County.

Hero shot a couple days later...........(a couple nice young bucks!!)

img010.jpg

Edited by Lawdwaz

• 4 weeks later...

2013 Easton Game Getter for first deer ever (1995; 8pt); 8mm first rifle deer in PA (1999; 4 pt{10pt the next year}); 12 ga single sho, first shotgun deer in NY (2002; Doe); .50 guage flintlock (first PA Christmas hunt; Doe); .50 in-line (early PA muzzleloader, 2014; Doe); a whole bunch with my Remmingtion .270 since 2005, I've stopped counting.  

Remington 870 20 ga. bird barrel with iron sights and modified choke. I shot a lot of deer that way then upgraded to a hastings rifled barrel with rifle sights. A little longer barrel but out to 200 yards that thing could drive tacks!

I haven't touched that gun in years being able to use my rifle in 8F and being my rifle costs less to shoot. My grandfather refused to buy sabots and shot the rifled slugs out that same barrel and is just as accurate. Only thing you have to remember is to use a lead dissovling agent the barrel gets leaded up pretty quick.

Edited by chas0218

My first gun harvest i was 16 yrs old, with a new 12 ga mossberg 500, iron sights, 2-3/4" winchester super x hollow points .. Got two shots off, stalked up on a doe to 35 yards, she was bedded, shot, missed clean, followed her tracks got on her again at a bit later @ 75 yards and dropped her.I was stoked! I still have the slug that was sticking out her far shoulder..