what caliber got your first deer

45/70

• 2 months later...

HOW CAN ONE FORGET ?  It was a doe In NJ in 1969 using a borrowed JC Higgins  s/s 12 gauge 30" mod choke with hand loaded triple 000 buck at 70 yards.  That shot buckshot better than any other shotgun I ever used. (It patterned 9 pellets (33 cal) in a 5 inch circle at 70 yards-she never twitched). 

1987 18 years old. Scrub 4 point with other side broken off.  40 yards and he piled up. H & R single shot 12 gauge. Still have the black and blue mark on my shoulder to prove it. Gun has rifle sights and I shot it with a Slugger. Didn't know how to field dress it so I was told beforehand " cut out anything you don't want to eat"  That's what I did. And this was after climbing up my brothers old wooden stand to have the top rung break with me standing on it. "what's a harness ? " Didn't know any better. I managed to re climb up and get onto shaky platform. When it got light I could see a right shoulder and right arse cheek mark in the snow. I laughed and thought that was lucky. I still have that gun. Still haven't found a purpose for it. It's not fun to shoot even with snap caps lol.

Nov. 18, 2007...hunted the morning because we had Bills season tickets and they were playing the Pats at 8:15, so we had a few hours to hunt and then off to the stadium for tailgating around 3:30.

Anyway, shot a nice size doe with a Brownimg bar .30-.06 from about 15 yards....was gonna let her walk past to my buddy bit once she got squirrelly and turned to head the opposite direction I decided to take her...let me tell ya that .30-.06 woke up our small woodlot....it was a great first deer with a rifle.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Well it seems to be my memory is like the rest of my body, failing. :)

IIRC, I would have been using a Ithaca Model 37, smoothbore Deerslayer with a Leupold 2x Extended Eye Relief scope. He was a dandy little 6pt buck......shot in Ontario County.

Hero shot a couple days later...........(a couple nice young bucks!!)

img010.jpg

Did your cousin Luke help you drag him out? On a side note, can I have Daisys phone number?
  • Like 3

Nov. 18, 2007...hunted the morning because we had Bills season tickets and they were playing the Pats at 8:15, so we had a few hours to hunt and then off to the stadium for tailgating around 3:30.

Anyway, shot a nice size doe with a Brownimg bar .30-.06 from about 15 yards....was gonna let her walk past to my buddy bit once she got squirrelly and turned to head the opposite direction I decided to take her...let me tell ya that .30-.06 woke up our small woodlot....it was a great first deer with a rifle.

Where were you using a 30-06 around here in 2007?

Not sure how I missed this thread but glad it came back around. Don't recall the year but my Dad and I hunted on Stateland between two small towns, Smithville Flats and German. We sat on the ground and were approx 50 yards apart on the edge of a swamp. A 4pt came on a deer run and I was so excited that I pulled up my Remington 870 with Federal slugs and held the open sights on his neck at 40 yards and squeezed. He dropped right there. My Dad came down and I asked him how to field dress it. He looked at me and said, I don't know, I've never had to do it as everyone in his old hunting party did it for him. He starts gagging and hacking and can't be nearby. I butchered that thing up but so began my lessons in the woods.

post-287-0-77424100-1451239402_thumb.jpg

post-287-0-70434600-1451239419_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Law you had me a little nervous and I had to do a little digging for that info. I actually won the rifle at the Tonawanda Sportsman club raffle in the spring of 04...tried selling the rifle back to Buffalo Gun Center where it came from and they wanted to give me a couple hundred bucks...becuase rifle wasnt legal around here. I decided to keep it and low and behold it has been my go to for 9 years.

Law you had me a little nervous and I had to do a little digging for that info. I actually won the rifle at the Tonawanda Sportsman club raffle in the spring of 04...tried selling the rifle back to Buffalo Gun Center where it came from and they wanted to give me a couple hundred bucks...becuase rifle wasnt legal around here. I decided to keep it and low and behold it has been my go to for 9 years.

I find it hard to believe the pompas ,conceited, arses tried screwing you over there when you tried to sell it back :sorry:

• Like 1

Good Lord, it seems like just 5 years ago.

Man am I getting old........................................ :(

Yeah Larry, that sounds about right...2006 was when The Mermaid and I hooked up, and that was about the same time rifles were legalized here. You're right, it doesn't seem like ten years ago.

• Like 1

I find it hard to believe the pompas ,conceited, arses tried screwing you over there when you tried to sell it back :sorry:

I remember it like it was yesterday....the guy who I belonged to the Tonawanda Sportsman club with and I walked in there and asked to speak with a salesman....this guy ends up telling us he'll give us 250 towards a new gun, we tell him it retails for over 900??? He says first off this didn't come from us...and rifle isn't legal around here so they dont sell many. We flipped the box on its side and showed him the Harlem Gun Center sticker, and said you guys supplied all the guns for the raffle...how about a little more money since it was originally from here. He declined and said they wouldnt be able to sell it so 250 was the best offer, we walked out with the gun and never looked back.

• Like 2

We could start a whole thread on that place I bet

I've had a long history with the GC.  Back in the late 70's I was starting to give them, Johnson's Country Store, Cartridge Corner, Cabin Range and Creekside Gun Shop in Bloomfield too much money.

Dad wasn't too thrilled with it but WTH......... :)

I live within a few miles of the GC now.  I have family that works there and am friendly with a bunch of the guys, including Bill & John.  A very close friend of mine is a relation to them.  I get practically no special treatment but understand others frustrations.  Before they did the remodel (15 years ago?) they had an awfully small place that was crammed to the ceiling with goods.  I think the employees were frustrated with the close quarters too.  The new place (same building but expanded to quadruple or more the square footage) is much more modern and was long overdue.

Nobody, but NOBODY, carries what they have (I dare say) in New York State when it comes to long guns and handguns. 

Edited by Lawdwaz

Year 1985. Ithaca 37 Deerslayer 20ga. Remington slugs. Walked up on a bedded spike after an ice storm. Broadside heart shot. Ran 50-60 yds. Took 9 years to get first deer. Still have the gun but mostly sits in safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1