what caliber got your first deer

45/70

1973, Bear Razorhead/55# Ben Pearson recurve, Western PA.

10 years later my 1st firearm kill, .535 patched round ball/100gr ffG, home built Plains Rifle, Southern, IN

1995, first "suppository gun" kill, 12ga slug, 870 Remington pump, Southern, IN

1999, first CF rifle kill, .243, M700 Remington, Northern NY state.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not sure of the model but it was a Winchester 308 semiautomatic with a beautiful engraved wood stock.The gun had previously been my dad's and I took it over when he past away,the deer was a nice 7 point in Henderson harbor in 1998 it was trailing a doe and ran right under my tree stand.I have since had the gun stolen from me in a burglary when we were out of town. Irreplaceable!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Remington 870 express mag in 20ga. with rifled slug and the bird barrel with those screw on rifle sights. I actually took a lot of deer with that gun until 3 or 4 years ago when they allowed rifle in 8F. 

Love that gun, 2 years after starting to deer hunt I bought a hastings rifled barrel. I could drive tacks with the open sights out to 200 yards. Man that gun can shoot with that long hastings barrel!

• 10 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 3:32 PM, stubborn1VT said:

Borrowed .32/40.  Shot a 5 point at 18yds.

Was that a M94 Winchester ?? Or perhaps a single shot of some configuration  ?

Also could have been a Marlin lever...

Edited by Pygmy

You got it. Marlin lever. Full length tube.  Holds 7? Curved butt plate.  Was my great uncle's, then my grandfather's.  It needed a firing pin.  My best friend got it fixed by a gunsmith he knew just before rifle season.  I shot a nice 5pt with it at 18 yds.  Those hard, flat-nose bullets don't mushroom.  So there I was in 14" of fresh snow, with no blood, no hair, just long bounding tracks.  I was trying to figure out how I missed!  I didn't.  He was double lunged and went 80 or 90yds.  I didn't like the way the bullets performed, and I never carried it again.  Now I use a 7 Rem Mag.

Just got thinking about what my first deer was taken with. I may have misspoke earlier. It was my Grandfathers old Remington Model 9 shotgun. One of the most dangerous shotgun ever made and I don't mean to the animals. Full choke and over 30 " barrel if I recall. Oh and did I mention it was dangerous and kicked like a mule. 

• 2 weeks later...

First and second deer were taken with a Matthews Helium (hated that bow though).  First gun deer was a 12 gauge smooth bore - not even sure what brand as it was borrowed -- thank goodness it was a 50yd shot at most.   Oh the memories way back to 2012.  lol

• Like 1